BC Boards

Vehicals

Hello all!

As some of you know we are new BC owners. We KNOW that anything that moves is going to be 'fair game' for Jake (4 months of age) to want to chase, herd, be a curious puppy. My question is: Can we stop him from chasing,( MORE LIKE. yanking my shoulder from it's socket).....moving vehicals? We've tried, stopping, in turn, he just crouches down...waiting... to SPRING into action. We've tried turning the opposite direction with a sharp "NO!" Also, loud 'chripping noises' to distract him from his intent interest. (that worked for about a week) We've tried the Gentle Leader head harness, all positive training, but, he still pouts and rubs his nose around the yard. So no walk those days. We are using a basic collar, currently. I will look into the Gentle Walker (read a post earlier..LOVE this board!) So, is he just too young to expect such control? Any suggestions will be put to practice! Thank you!

Blaze had this problem, too. I think we've nearly worked through most of it. Right now we are working on close up and/or not watching the car as it goes by. He would strain at the leash and completely block me out at first.

What I started doing was first, I tought him "That'll Do" with a ball. Because he is so interested in the ball, he needed a word that would mean "Leave it and come to me". What Blaze normally does is drop the ball and lie down beside it. So, I would gently take him by the collar and lead him away by saying "that'll do here" (he already knew what here ment) or "That'll Do Leave it" (he knew what "leave it" ment).

Gradually, I stopped using the collar and used my body by walking in between the ball and Blaze, tapping my leg saying "That'll do" (by this point I had dropped the "here" part) and walked away. Again, we practiced this for a while till he was readily coming with easy with me away from the ball. Then, with more and more practice, I can now be standing 50ft away from the ball with Blaze near the ball, and call him to me using "That'll Do"

So now that I've explained that, LOL, I used "That'll Do" (which means "here and leave it") when teaching Blaze to stop chasing cars. If a car was coming by, I would walk away from said car, tapping my leg, and say "that'll do". We're working on getting closer and closer to cars that are moving fast.

Now, he doesn't pull at all. Only stares. So we're working through this in stages. First, I worked on pulling, now we are starting to move closer and closer (right now we can get about 20ft and he's still "ok", not blocking me out, etc), then I'm going to work on eye contact when asked for it when a car is coming by.

Here is a helpful thread where MaryP had a similar situation with a foster: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...ic=16984&hl

Thank you very much, I will look into it! I love this board!

Sara and Jake

Blaze had this problem, too. I think we've nearly worked through most of it. Right now we are working on close up and/or not watching the car as it goes by. He would strain at the leash and completely block me out at first.

What I started doing was first, I tought him "That'll Do" with a ball. Because he is so interested in the ball, he needed a word that would mean "Leave it and come to me". What Blaze normally does is drop the ball and lie down beside it. So, I would gently take him by the collar and lead him away by saying "that'll do here" (he already knew what here ment) or "That'll Do Leave it" (he knew what "leave it" ment).

Gradually, I stopped using the collar and used my body by walking in between the ball and Blaze, tapping my leg saying "That'll do" (by this point I had dropped the "here" part) and walked away. Again, we practiced this for a while till he was readily coming with easy with me away from the ball. Then, with more and more practice, I can now be standing 50ft away from the ball with Blaze near the ball, and call him to me using "That'll Do"

So now that I've explained that, LOL, I used "That'll Do" (which means "here and leave it") when teaching Blaze to stop chasing cars. If a car was coming by, I would walk away from said car, tapping my leg, and say "that'll do". We're working on getting closer and closer to cars that are moving fast.

Now, he doesn't pull at all. Only stares. So we're working through this in stages. First, I worked on pulling, now we are starting to move closer and closer (right now we can get about 20ft and he's still "ok", not blocking me out, etc), then I'm going to work on eye contact when asked for it when a car is coming by.

Fantastic IDEA! I will try what you described. I think I am expecting too much from such a young pup. That's why I love this board. Thank you.

Both Poke and Ceana did this. Consistent training will make it stop, but you have to stick with it. Now, we no longer have a problem.

Thank you. Believe me, I will. We rescued this little guy and I a determined to do everything I can to help him become a safe and happy dog.