BC Boards

dog in snow

I live in San Diego, so there isn't any snow here but i do plan on going up to the mountains when it does snow. My question is, since my dog isn't used to the snow should i get some type of booties for his feet to protect them? I never dress up my dog by the way i just find it silly especially since my lil guy is so pretty. But i would rather him be protected than look silly. I appreciate the comments , thanx

I'm in Northern Ontario where there's also lots of snow and it's darn cold....no boots and no coats for my BC's. They absolutely love the winter. I don't trim the hair between the pads and I don't find they have too much trouble with snow sticking to their feet.

Guess it depends on the snow. Mine have always gotten terrible snowballs in their feet (and feathers...). So - booties for them when we go to serious snow. BTW, the ONLY way to keep them on - no matter the style or brand - is with adhesive or sports tape. They WILL come off in deep snow! I've found the fleece ones best in soft snow (not ice) - I think their claws can grip better, and the stiff ones are, well, too stiff. I was just looking around for something I could use on my old girl whose arthritic front feet hurt only when she's been walking on rocky (as in, lots of little rocks) ground. The stiff ones out there must be made for deer - they are so straight! Doesn't anyone realize that dogs' feet (at least the front ones) have a 'bend' in them??

So it goes.

diane

Guest maya's mom

I wondered this same this too, as Maya was only 8 weeks old last winter, and didn't get prolonged outdoor activity. This year, she will expect A LOT of outdoor play! I asked similar questions on this board, b/c Maya was getting ice balls/snow ball build up on her paws, even though her hair was trimmed. Someone suggested a product to me, call Musher's Secret. It is basically an all-natural wax that provides a protective barrier to snow, salt, etc......and can even be used in the summer against hot sand and pavement. We've been using it about 2 weeks now, and we LOVE it! Even after an hour of full on running, etc outside, her paws are practically dry when we come in! You do really have to slather it on their paws and the hair too, but we think it works wonders! The best price I found for it, was through Amazon.

Not much snow in my part of AZ, but when I lived in N. Norway, we took dogs out regardless of the temperatures. Never saw anyone use booties. I did used to help clean between the toes when we got in, though. Where I lived (Tønsvik) we had snow for about 7-8 months of the year and temperatures down to -35C. Note that they never salt the roads there; I'd be more careful if the dog had to walk in salted snow/ice.