BC Boards

Talk to the hand?

Puzzled by this one. A few nights ago, after DH and Scooter had been playing in the living room, I noticed a few drops of slobber on the coffee table (I assume it was Scooter's) :D Not wanting it to remain on the wood finish too long, I pulled the cuff of my sweatshirt down into the palm of my hand, curling my fingers around it to hold it in place. As I reached down to wipe off the spots, Scooter reeled around and snapped at my hand. He's done this once before--same scenario. Now, we've had him since he was a pup, and I know he's never been hit. EVER. Why this strange reaction to such a simple act? He's not reactive when it comes to someone petting his head, standing over him, etc., so this seems odd. Any opinions? And I guess the obvious advice for me would be to stop using my sweatshirts as dust rags! :rolleyes:

Hi, if it happens again an slobbers get a rag or something and wipe it up and make sure that is not the problem, then you know if you do with shirt sleeve I am guessing that it may scare him, not seeing your hand or fingers , also you might just try when you are around him pull your sleeve over again in front of him and see if that is the problem also?

Is he motion sensative at all? Poke will do that when a movement is not normal from someone... which was every movement when we got him :rolleyes:

You know, I wouldn't consider him motion sensitive, but maybe he is. I'll have to watch more carefully. I know he's very in tune with what's going on around him and he knows some hand signals I've taught him. Maybe he just doesn't understand this one. :D

My youngest dog Dave who is a high energy, fast moving sweetheart loves to play with anything that moves but he becomes quite angry if I put on a pair of gloves or put the hood up on my coat. He becomes very agitated if he sees someone with their hands inside there clothing up their sleeves like a lot of kids do. He goes wild when he sees someone wearing a costume. I am not sure but it seems to me that anything that changes the look of a person in this sort of way really bugs him. We had the dogs at a Santa parade a couple of weeks ago. Dave was fine with everything until he saw some people dressed up as Smurf characters. I am not sure why he does this or how it got started I just try to avoid situations that freak him out. I would love to hear an explaination for this behavior.

My 8 mo old girl, Lily, gets terribly agitated when I look even slightly different. If she sees me right after I get out of the shower and my hair is really wet she gets really upset. I can only imagine what she might think if my hands disappeared..... Those wonderful things that scratch her belly, give her treats, and pat her head!

Pete absolutely freaks out if I wear a hat. I think it's just because he doesn't recognize me ('cause he can't see my eyes?), because as soon as I talk to him, he calms down a little. At least to the point where he isn't screaming at me. I think it's important to Petey that he sees my face, and maybe it's important to Scooter that he sees your hands. I don't really know how else to explain it!