BC Boards

Bikejoring?

Does anyone do bikejoring here? I am interested in learning more about it... and I'm also looking into contraptions to add to my bike so I can ride with a dog or two next to me (has anyone used the Springer Dog Jogger)?

I love running with my dogs but I also want to be able to get back in to biking with them...

Try a search - I know this has been discussed here several times. (BTW, if you really want a "contraption", try DOGPOWEREDSCOOTER.)

I've used the Springer with my BC, and it worked GREAT for us. The only caveat is that there is a "weak link" designed into the system to the dog doesn't get strangled if, for instance, the two of you go around opposite sides of a signpost. My dog didn't like it when she suddenly got charged from the side by some off leash dog lurking in a yard, and she would break the link to get away from the attacker. That, in my opinion, was appropriate, but it meant I had to replace the weak link periodically, and when I ran out of the ones the company supplied I just experimented with things I found in the hardware store until I found something that would hold when I wanted (e.g. in traffic) and give way when it needed to.

Note that the dog should be attached to the Springer with a harness, NOT a collar.

We also did "conventional" dog scootering for a while. One BC was pretty good, the other one a bit of a slacker, with the net result that I had to do quite a lot of scooting myself to keep moving (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Some dogs are more inclined to pull where others need to be taught - it doesn't work if the dog won't keep the ine taut.

I started with a really cheap scooter I got from Amazon (which I just noticed is at a super duper sale price right now - $44 I think, and free shipping). The main problem with that scooter was poor brakes, and I reached the point where I didn't really want to continue without getting a higher quality scooter (here), but then again I didn't really want to spend that much money when there are so many other things I can do with my BCs that don't cost that much. I think many of the dog scooter fanatics have breeds that, unlike BCs, were basically bred to run and not much else. Anyway, I did consider using a bike instead of a scooter but never got far enough to implement the plan. The scooter was a lot of fun, and a lot easier to get off of than a bike when things went to h*ll in a hurry.

Just a note of caution:

When I was young, we owned the world's stupidest dog - a poodle who weighed perhaps 25 pounds. I sometimes took him out on my bike, but he pulled so hard that we would do 25 mph without my pedaling. Seemed fun, until the flecks of blood started hitting my face.

Sometime after his pads re-grew, my Dad (I got my brains from him) decided to run him using a motorcycle. That way, the dog would run, not pull. I ought to say we lived in Taiwan at the time, and there were benjo ditches along the side of the road. See here: http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1048077358014002679XdJKLL for an example. Where we lived, they did double duty for removing rainwater and human waste.

Well, they got up to about 30 mph with Pepe running easily...and the darn dog saw another dog. At 30 mph, he jerked sideways to attack. Before the leash broke, both my Dad & the motorcycle flipped into the benjo ditch. No broken bones, incredibly - but lots of cuts and severe bruising. And when you get cuts in a benjo ditch, you get shots for infections. That was my Dad. The dog jumped the ditch, attacked the much larger dog, and somehow emerged with no injuries.

It was Pepe's last wild run.

I don't bikejor, but I do this when there's no snow:

2008_0528dogs0038.jpg

I normally run 2-4 dogs on it though it doesn't have a lot of stopping power with 4 eager dogs. I can lock up the brakes and the dogs can still drag it, luckily they know "WHOA!" It's not much of an issue when the dogs know their commands, providing I'm vigilant about any wildlife up ahead and such. I also carry a snub line and snow hook so that I can tie them off or hook down into the dirt in case I need to keep them stopped for a bit. I don't think I'd put more than 4 on it for safety's sake, I'd be more likely to do multiple runs with different dogs or alternate which days I run which dogs. I think 1-2 dogs on a bike or scooter is common but I have a friend that has run 3 on her scooter with me a few times. Depends on how eager the dogs are and how well they listen.

LOL oh guys... you have me ROLLING over here with laughter! Thank you for sharing the stories. :rolleyes:

I did originally try a search but I came up with such varied results (and over 500 of them) that I thought a new post would be easier (sorry, guess I'm really lazy...although I did find some neat posts about other things doing that search)

I looked at Scootering when I was looking at the bikejoring but like someone else mentioned... I wasn't looking to spend a lot when there are so many other things to do (and I already have a bike).

Linda... I checked out the link... but what do you do if your dogs decide to cut behind the bike? Won't that send you sprawling?

My dogs know 'whoa' and 'easy' but they do tend to "enjoy" wildlife a lot. . . I could just see myself in a similar <motorcycle-style> accident although lacking the feces I hope!!!

Maybe I'll just stick to running with them and enjoying playing ball with them for now... the "weak link" scares me. I'd rather forgo biking with the dogs than lose one to an oncoming car if the link breaks.

JUST CHECKED OUT THE DOGPOWEREDSCOOTER website... that trike is AWESOME!!!! not spending $1000 but still totally cool :D

Thanks guys for the advice, info and stories. I needed a laugh tonight :D

Vickkers I started out with one dog at a time. After they each had it down I first tried doing it with two on the grass.

With one dog she can run along side the back tire and with two it is the same. The coupler adds enough length so they can run side by side.

They can not pull me forward at all, I control the speed. The Pyramid sticks out behind the tire by about 6 to 8 inches.

I have used other dog walkers and have been dumped but not with this one. IMO because they are "behind" the bike they don't try to pull. When I turn corners I don't have to worry about running them over because they are behind me.

This works great for us. I hope you find something that works as well for you.

I have used the Springer, and as the other poster said there is a safety feature that will pop your dog loose if you jerk on it hard enough. My dog and I were "seperated" once by the safety feature and I bit the dust on my bike, lol.

Now we have a scooter (diggler.com) and a gang line/harness. It is a lot of fun and it does feel safer with the dogs out in front (plus you can work more than one dog at once) imo.

I don't bikejor, but I do this when there's no snow:

This is probably a very silly question, but what is that that you are using in the picture?

I've never been actually bikejoring before, but I do have a Springer. It has been really nice, and doesn't pull me off balance (which is impressive, because my balance is awful). Just have to be careful with their paws cracking, and if you do use a Springer, don't use an x-back harness with it. The Springer isn't built to let them get so far ahead.

Now I miss biking with D, need to find a decent (not heavily traveled) trail we can go play on.

This is probably a very silly question, but what is that that you are using in the picture?

I've never been actually bikejoring before, but I do have a Springer. It has been really nice, and doesn't pull me off balance (which is impressive, because my balance is awful). Just have to be careful with their paws cracking, and if you do use a Springer, don't use an x-back harness with it. The Springer isn't built to let them get so far ahead.

Now I miss biking with D, need to find a decent (not heavily traveled) trail we can go play on.

Not a silly question, it's not something you'd see unless you're into mushing! It's a homemade training rig, something like a trike with no seat or pedals, it has standing platforms for my feet. I looked around the net for ideas for dryland training, looking at sites for Artic Rigs, Risdon Rigs, Monkey Rigs, Steeldog etc. and made notes. Mine is probably most similar to an Artic Rig. Mushers running lots of dogs will use an ATV, ATV with no motor, car chassis stripped right down or a Risdon Rig which is somewhere around 100pounds. I wanted something fairly light that I could run anywhere from 1-4 dogs on without making them (or me) have to work too hard up hills. DH made it for me with a couple of youth BMX bikes we picked up from Canadian Tire on sale and he did some cutting and welding at a friend's garage. I thought about using a bike but haven't done much cycling in a very long time so I was concerned about my balance if the dogs jerked, plus if I do any pedaling my knees get very sore. Same concern about balance with a scooter, I just wanted something that will stay upright by itself so all I have to do is steer. This works out well for me and it's not too heavy to lift over any trees we come across on a trail and is easy to load into my box trailer to truck it around.