BC Boards

switching trainers

Bo Peep

I found a wonderful man with the same style as Don, yet he is more available. He's a wonderful man. Cares about ME getting hurt first, because of my balance, then the dog and says it's all for fun- isn't it? I'm having my 4th lesson today. Usher has already learned his "come-bye's" from his "aways". I called Don last night- he was away- I don't want any hard feelings- just want to let him know that this guy (a friend of his) is more available.

Don's busy doing clinic's and judging and this guy is pretty good. The first lesson, he handled Usher alone. The 2nd one I got in and totally forgot what I was doing- sheep were moving too fast. The 3rd lesson I got in and the old light bulb clicked. It's coming back!! After all this time away from sheep he told me my stock sense is fantastic and I just need a little more practice and we have a trial winner in our hands!!!

I get so excited on sheep herding days, I'm up at the break of dawn. Bliss gets her 5 minutes of fame, but she's so lazy, she doesn't have to work so hard to move the sheep. I think I'll be training her also.

So, am I being unfaithful for switching trainers?

You know what I think? I think that if this person is more available, his training methods/style are similar to and compatible with Don's, and suitable for you and your dog, and he is perfectly capable of training you, then I don't believe Don would mind. A good trainer wants what's best for his/her student and their dog(s). I expect he'd be glad you can get competent training more readily than he is able to provide with the current demands on his time.

I do believe it would be most polite to either talk to Don or send him a note, telling him about the situation and thanking him for all his help (and hoping that you can get together with him for training sometimes when it works for both of you, if you'd like).

JMO, and I wish you the best however you decide.

I am glad for you!!!

Finding a trainer that is close to the style you are used to and that you like is key. I take lessons from a top handler when he is in town (2-3x) and yr as well as lessons/clinci from other top handlers who come into town. They all have the same style.

I would think that Don would be happy that you are getting more time on stock. Keep us posted on your progress.

Is your new trainer a recent transplant from Canada?

Diane

I tried to call Don last night. He won't be home until Wed. afternoon. I DO want to talk to him about it. My new trainer said, if you get a chance to take a lesson with Don, I don't have any problem with it, in fact I'd like to see how he thinks we're doing. After I talk with Don, I'll tell you all about my new trainer and add pics. Today, Usher drove sheep almost 2 acres with barely an assist. I'm so proud of him.

Hello all, I thinks it's good for people to take and learn from more than one person and if and when my students go to others, I support them. what bothers me is when people choose a trainer based on popularity or likeability instead of talent. if you want to learn to handle sheepdogs, go to someone who has been successful with them, not a "cowdog hand" or a sport dog trainer, or a barbie collie aficianado. go to someone who has demonstrated success in whatever it is you are trying to learn, either through success on the trial field (look at the USBCHA points) or on the farm. just because you like them, or don't like them as a person doesn't mean that they can't train you and/or your dog better than the person that you like as a friend.

If you want to learn to trial sheepdogs and your trainer doesn't have any HA sheepdog points, then it's likely you're not getting very good help. and if your trainer is protective about your taking from others, i would have to wonder what they're afraid of.

i'm only speaking in general and not about any trainers mentioned in this thread. I don't know who you're referring to and it's not relavent to my reply.

cheers all

Wouldn't it make sense to train with someone who is successful at stockwork? Any and all stock should be worked respectfully whether they be sheep, cattle, goats, ducks.... and if your trainer you are working with works their dogs in that manner, and doesn't have trouble moving different levels of stock, why narrow your training to someone who works only one form of stock? Just because you don't want to work the same "main" kind of stock your trainer does, doesn't make them less of a trainer. It seems like you could be missing out on some valuable lessons from one persons experience by not working with them simply because they don't have Sheep HA points.

Dianne, everyone works their dogs just a little differently and if you are comfortable working with both handlers should one not be available, then by all means work with both of them. I'm sure each will bring something a little different to the table to help you learn far more than you could with just one trainer. Sometimes it takes another's perspective or twist on training to fix a problem that might come up.

Actually, they work so much the same I thought he was taught by Don, but he said no, but they are friends. He does do sheep, goats and cattle. So his dogs are very versatile. I like the point that he cares about MY welfare and my dogs, also. Being disabled isn't easy and after a 10+ year break, it's been tough. I see him smile when the light bulb comes on for me. I actually think he's getting more pleasure out of our training session than I am- How could that be? LOL. He also fosters. He's got one beautiful bald faced BC with "no stop" no matter how hard he tries. Sure would make a great pet, though. He also works with 4-H kids. Pretty good guy.

He's never ran in an ABCHA trial, but plans to, has done ASCA to it's highest level. I'll explain why later. Just have to talk to Don first. I think it should come from "this" horses mouth- LOL

OK-

Don called me tonight. He got home early. I told him I thought I was being "unfaithful" to him as I really respect this man. I told him who I was training with and he lives just down the street from him. Don had no problems with it. He said "This has been a busy year for me, and I don't blame you- just go work your dog- He's a good dog" I told him if he has ANY free time on a Tuesday around 11 AM- put me on his books or e-mail me or call.

So. now I can spill my guts- LOL. I am working with a non border collie person. I met him at the Meridian Rodeo. He was working the "Mutton busten" and had some very nice kelpie's. He has the same methods as Don- throw your hat. a little growl, nothing drastic. Very soft voice, a lot like Don's methods. When I talked with Don, he really appreciated me telling him that I was working with someone else and it is "all in the welfare of the dog". I told him ....basically, he was so unreachable because he is such a great handler and why waste his time on minimal visits- I said, hey , you've got your name out there and can get the big bucks for clinics, you go for it.

So, now I go once a week to Kelly's place- Since I'm so shaky and "rusty" Kelly goes first and works Usher and then Bliss gets her 5 minutes of fame- no charge- BUT I'm going to start working with her next week. She's a lazy fat gal hmmm reminds me of me- LOL. Then I go in- It's coming back, stock sense, all the things I had the years before- It's kicking in.

So for all of you, that is my secret trainer. A great guy and wants me to go for it. BTW= I don't shake so much when I'm training dogs- Had a neurologist appt today, he said "I'm at the top of my meds- I'd rather be goofy than shake- So- the adventure continues.........LOL.

Oh- Jodi- don't blast this guy cuz your friend had a run-in with him over treasuries issues. Just don't want to start an argument

...it is all in the welfare of the dog...

See, you were worried over nothing.

A good trainer is concerned with the welfare and progress of the dog and the handler. There is no shame in training with someone else if that is what you will accomplish. In this case, it's only because of Don's unavailability and not because of any conflict with method or approach.

I wish you the very best in getting back to working with your dog(s) and enjoying what you can do to the fullest extent possible.

Sounds like it is working out well. I bet Usher loves the variety in his life! I wish I could find someone close here. Molly is bored silly since her mad dash around the US had her working as an SD daily, going to rodeos and horse shows, and even working on sheep...

Yes,

That's my Don- we met some umteen years ago. So, I was really worried about this.

He was really happy that I called and KNEW he was busy.

See, you were worried over nothing.

A good trainer is concerned with the welfare and progress of the dog and the handler. There is no shame in training with someone else if that is what you will accomplish. In this case, it's only because of Don's unavailability and not because of any conflict with method or approach.

I wish you the very best in getting back to working with your dog(s) and enjoying what you can do to the fullest extent possible.

Sue- It's been so long- thanks you for your well wishes. It's going to be slow going for ME. Usher is moving along quickly.I'm really surprised at myself and my stock sense, It IS like riding a bike (oops -can't do that anymore) but it is coming back to me very quickly. Sadly, no one to take pics. BUT- Usher knows his come bye's from his aways, and his driving- that's the part I had trouble with, teaching myself. Next- the outrun. We tried but he doesn't have one "built in" wouldn't that take some time off my hands?

I tell you, life is good here. Got my 2 "keeper dogs" My mom won't let me place Bliss. She needs a companion that isn't there full time- LOL. IOW-Doesn't poop or eat. I have my rescue dog and I'm ..........back in the game

I don't know if I told you this or not, but...........

therock001-1.jpg

Don't worry about it being slow going. It's been slow for me and probably always will be, and I have no good reason other than total lack of stock sense, dog sense, common sense, and dollars and cents.

Life IS good! Best wishes for everything!

Thanks Sue.

I can't believe I used to "teach" beginner lessons and here I am taking them! But, it's true, it does come back to you. At least I didn't need the gloves that say "come by" and "away". I bought those for a friend once-LOL.

I told Don that I won't take him to a trial and crash and burn- been there done that. If we have a 150 yard outrun, we will train for 250. If we have a 1 leg drive, we'll train for 2. He's penning already. Not worried about the shed- I'll never reach THAT class.

But thanks ev1- It feels good to get some positive feedback. (without getting flamed for once)

Ushers lesson today went great!!

He knows his "come bye's and aways" also his out with no hats flying and hands in the pockets. His driving is incredible. The outrun--------oops. Usher doesn't show enough "faith" in himself, to go very far away- we are working on that.

As for me, Kelly trains 1/2 lesson- I train the other 1/2. Usher sometimes quits on Kelly- not on me. It's not that Kelly is hard on him, he has a much softer voice than I do, but I guess Usher trusts me more.

All, in all a great lesson- I hope once a week is enough. Kelly said he would loan me sheep @ no charge if I could find a field around here. What a great trainer! I'm very happy I got things worked out with Don.

I decided that it's not worth the money and time for Bliss- she gets to "play" for free and that gives her that "fix" She's between 4-6 and would only do an an ASCA trials.

Usher's first trial will probably be a Aussie trial, just to "feel his oats". Shorter out-runs, etc... just wanted to keep you in touch. I Love my dog!!!

I have just removed a number of posts from this thread. I'm sorry I did not see them sooner.

BoPeep, I have warned you repeatedly not to bring your disputes with this person to these Boards. That stuff does not belong here. DO NOT do it again.

This thread is now closed.