BC Boards

New Law Enforcement in Louisville

This is...frustrating, at best. I foster/rehome a lot of kittens throughout the year. These are kittens that are dumped at the clinic I work at, and/or little strays that I take in that either I find wandering the streets, or perhaps a friend of mine does. Sometimes they are bottle babies that I get from craigslist ads that people are trying to place in homes that can raise them. I've been doing this for two years, I carefully screen prospective homes, and a local rescue hooks me up with great spay/neuter prices, so they all go to their new homes fixed.

Louisville just started enforcing these permit laws, where you must get a kennel/breeding/animal husbandry license if you're rehoming animals and asking for an adoption fee. Yes, this even applies to rescuers, or people looking to rehome their dog for a fee. It is considered illegal to rehome any cat or dog under 4 months because they have not had a rabies vaccine. While I often get my fosters their first shots, and have them fixed, I am usually trying to place them before they get to be 4 months, because by then they're bigger and harder to place. The animal control officers are posing as prospective owners, and then inspecting homes, then laying down fines, sometimes taking the animals.

So, my efforts at doing a little good in this world have skidded to a halt. I do have one adult female cat I'm getting spayed and hopefully rehoming--with a rabies vaccine--but even doing this without a permit makes me anxious. I understand why they're doing this--to catch the puppy mills!--but this has brought my rescue efforts to a halt, which saddens me. I already have to buy a permit to breed/sell my snakes, which is something I have no problem with. They practically pay for themselves. The kittens do not.

It takes a hefty sum to get a permit-- $150+

I think the only ones exempt from the 4month old rule are shelters and similar such organizations, but I'm fairly sure there are other permits involved there too. I simply just don't have the money to pay for the fosters and the permits...especially as we're buying a house.

I have other friends who foster strays, and this puts a damper on their rehoming efforts as well. While I'm not always able to get them fully vaccinated, I usually deworm them and get them their first shot. I call all vet references before adopting them out, too, and I always insist on them being kept indoors.

So they've effectively put rescues out of business? Way to go. :rolleyes: Shows what happens when the ill-informed take off on a cause.

Y'know, in your place I think I'd have to get on the roster for the next City Council (or whoever passed this bone-headed law) and tell them what they've accomplished. If the press doesn't regularly cover those meetings, you might see if there's an animal-friendly reporter who'd like to go along.

I would like to get the story out to a local reporter, and at least get the word out, that in some circumstances they're truly doing more harm than good. I wish I was more proactive on boards and with meetings and such...but I'm not. My schedule is so packed, between work, my dogs, and the gang of other creatures we have...PLUS the rescues...well, they leave little time for much else. I will be moving to IN soon, so I will be able to foster again...I will certainly be screening my potential adopters a little more heavily, though, until I get a good feel/read of IN's laws.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to get the story out to a local reporter, and at least get the word out, that in some circumstances they're truly doing more harm than good. I wish I was more proactive on boards and with meetings and such...but I'm not. My schedule is so packed, between work, my dogs, and the gang of other creatures we have...PLUS the rescues...well, they leave little time for much else. I will be moving to IN soon, so I will be able to foster again...I will certainly be screening my potential adopters a little more heavily, though, until I get a good feel/read of IN's laws.

Where at in Indiana?

I'm a Southern Indiana native, and I am pretty certain we don't have THAT type of law around here--half the rescuers I know would immediately go ape-shi*...including me...