BC Boards

Making A comeback

Hi folks, I have not made a post since September 20. I have been somewhat discouraged with all of the things that have been going on with my dogs and a couple of comments. We, including the dogs have been taking a lot of time off. We are not doing goose work and the dogs have been taking a much needed rest. Other than play we have been doing nothing. We did however visit the vet on Friday afternoon. The dogs, Mack, Pete and Dave and perfectly rested and perfectly well. Something else happened Friday that brought me back to friends. As you know I do work with troubled dogs and people among other things and I saw something I have never seen before that opened mu eyes wide to the world of how good dogs go or are directed bad. I was leaving the house to go to the vet. I heard a dog yelping and a person swearing from next door. I looked up and saw a dog ( a pitbull cross ) fly through an open deck door at the hands of his owner. The owner proceeded to kick the dog and beat him with a rake. I hollered and he stopped. I have never seen anything like this, I felt sick. I phoned animal control, the SPCA and the police. They came to visit this person. I am not sure what came of it but I felt very strongly I must report what I saw. The following morning I saw the dog roaming the area alone and off leash. I trust I did the right thing.

I think you definitely did the right thing! He was beating his dog! If the dog is out now off leash and alone, I'd be keeping an eye out for it. Maybe the man just booted the dog out the door, which means a a stray dog. Calling Animal Control may be a death sentence for the dog (many communities in my area don't even try to adopt anything resembling a Pit). Living on the streets-if that is what happened-is not good for the dog, either.

You did the right thing. My stomach turned reading your post. Words cannot express my disbelief at how and why a person can treat any animal cruelly.

It sounds like you've taken a much needed break but this dog needs a caring human in its life. Are you able/willing to hunt him up and give him sanctuary?

All I can do is shake my head in disbelief as I type this.

Kudos to you for reporting him and being willing to get involved.

I have in fact found a good home for the dog with a nice farm family. He is actually a good dog. I have been able to approach and control him several times. He just has a bad owner and if this sort of thing keeps up he likely will turn to be a bad dog. I have spoken with animal control who knows me well. If they pick the dog up they will call me. The owner is a complete idiot and should not have a dog or any other pet. He has approached me a couple of times with the idea that we could put his dog up against my best dog Pete and see how they do. I will not write what I had to say to him about that but I expect it is perfectly clear to him what I think of him. You may recall a couple of posts where I mentioned my youngest dog Dave was attacked and my other guys responded by jumping into the fight, this is the dog. I expect with his lifestyle he needs an outlet for his frustration, it shall not be at the expense of my dogs however and his idiot owner is to blame.

I have in fact found a good home for the dog with a nice farm family. He is actually a good dog. I have been able to approach and control him several times. He just has a bad owner and if this sort of thing keeps up he likely will turn to be a bad dog. I have spoken with animal control who knows me well. If they pick the dog up they will call me. The owner is a complete idiot and should not have a dog or any other pet. He has approached me a couple of times with the idea that we could put his dog up against my best dog Pete and see how they do. I will not write what I had to say to him about that but I expect it is perfectly clear to him what I think of him. You may recall a couple of posts where I mentioned my youngest dog Dave was attacked and my other guys responded by jumping into the fight, this is the dog. I expect with his lifestyle he needs an outlet for his frustration, it shall not be at the expense of my dogs however and his idiot owner is to blame.

Gee DTrain, what a nauseating situation :rolleyes: . I would be tempted to grab him myself, rather than calling animal control, since he might be gone by the time they got there. That way, you could re-home him right away. I know -- its not technically legal ... but what is the process one has to go through to take a dog away from an owner who is physically abusive? Although if its a pit bull x -- aren't there restrictions now in play in Ont. for making sure they're muzzled outdoors and always under control and on lead? Couldn't he in fact be charged and the dog taken away? Anyway, I would be concerned if I were you about the safety of your own dogs, if (i) he's clearly interested in dog fighting and (ii) he knows that you might be behind the authorities being contacted. Sorry to be a real downer ... its scary when someone like this is right in your own neighbourhood, let alone next door.

Let us know how it goes...

Ailsa