BC Boards

How to Increase Toy Drive

I am also wondering this about my rescue Bliss. She has NO toy drive and went after Usher, it was meant as a little bite, but Usher being so fast( it turned out to be a big slash) no big fault of any one's. Yet I have gotten her to play a tad bit with toys, with Usher is crated and a little tug - big step. I'd like to see more on this- thanks for adding this discussion.

P.S. Have you tried playing "tug"? Most dogs love it!! Bailey and Usher used to play against each other- saved my arm- LOL. Bliss will have not much to do with it, but it's a good motivator.

I am also wondering this about my rescue Bliss. She has NO toy drive and went after Usher, it was meant as a little bite, but Usher being so fast( it turned out to be a big slash) no big fault of any one's. Yet I have gotten her to play a tad bit with toys, with Usher is crated and a little tug - big step. I'd like to see more on this- thanks for adding this discussion.

P.S. Have you tried playing "tug"? Most dogs love it!! Bailey and Usher used to play against each other- saved my arm- LOL. Bliss will have not much to do with it, but it's a good motivator.

My 7 year old lost all interest in toys when he hit about 2-3 years of age. I would get him playing and all of the sudden he's lose interest in the toy and go off and lie down. While at the vet for a routine visit the vet discovered he had a nasty kneecap. After a few years of nursing it (no surgury needed, thank goodness, he's holding his own) he got better, then it all started again about a year ago. It was like everytime he got playing, his knee would go out and he started to see the toys as the cause of his discomfort/pain. Just something to think about if there are any ortho problems in their background...

Also, during one of his Toy-Boycotting Stints, it was found out he had impacted glands. He got them taken care of, came home from the vets, and played like a lunatic, and since then his toy drive has been going up now that we have his legs under control. I cried like a baby when we went in the yard and he chased a ball for the first time in practically forever...

post-9291-1224170202_thumb.jpg

Pat Miller has a new book out called "Play With Your Dog". I got it and it's pretty good. It's a very quick, easy read and it covers both dog-dog play and human-dog play. She discusses the benefits of play and some very practical caveats for human/dog play. She also talks about different play styles that dogs have, which I found extremely interesting. She includes some plans for helping dogs who don't play (including dogs who don't play much with toys) learn how to play.

You can find it on Amazon if you're interested.

You have the best of the best books for people with "problem dogs". TYSVM!!!

LOL!! :rolleyes: Alas, 'tis true!! Although there are a few on my wish list that I haven't gotten around to yet!! And I've read a few duds along the way! And I do have a few books that are subject related (Agility, Freestyle, Obedience) that are geared toward totally normal dogs.

I guess I have Speedy to thank for it, but I have to say that dog training and behavior is a subject that I enjoy reading about, soooooooo . . . . I read a lot of training and behavior books!

Thank you everyone for your replies, looks like I am taking a trip to the local library and bookstore -- thank you for the tips on the books Root Beer, I will definitly check them out.

Tassie, thanks so much for the link to that article, I read it ancd cannot wait to try it out!!

I will let you know how he comes along :rolleyes:

You're welcome! :D

One other thing that's worth considering is that some dogs are too 'polite' to want to tug withyou close up - at least at first. If this is the case, you can try putting the toy on the end of a lead, so that the dog can play with it without running any risk of 'offending' you. Once they get the idea, you can shorten the lead up, and eventually just play normally. My boy had to have a long lead tug first, but he can now play normally - well, as normal as anything my goofy boy does :rolleyes: .

Look forward to hearing how you go. It's certainly worth having the extra tool in the tool box.

And Kristine - will you stop it with posting about good new books :D - especially now our dollar is so low against the $US :D . Now I'll have to chase up that new Pat Miller book - I saw her last year at the APDT conference in Sydney - she was great.