BC Boards

Hello - I'm new!

Hi everyone

A little about me and the dogs:

I am English, but emigrated to Canada (Kamloops, BC) three years ago with my husband and two tricolour border collies, Tan and Meg.

We own a 32 acre equestrian centre, and the dogs were just in heaven once we arrived here. We never worked sheep, but they always got lots of exercise with the frisbee, and the ball - and once here, running around on the ranch, and playing alongside the ATV/Tractor/Mower - anything with wheels which could be rounded up, as they aren't allowed to round up the horses!

Unfortunately we lost our doggie soulmate Tanna last week. He was 13 - me and my husband have both been utterly devastated. This dog was amazing, and so full of character and presence, the house has felt like a morgue since. Meg is around 11 (we aren't sure, because she's a rescue) whilst the bond isn't the same, she's a very sweet and good natured dog.

Tan used to watch TV. He actually learned that the 'remote' changed the viewing options too. We never taught him (in fact we always told him off) but he learned to switch on the TV via the remote with his paws - and if he got bored with watching something, he would turn around and stare at us. If that didn't work, he would woof and stare - and if that didn't work, he would get up and change the channel for himself! :rolleyes: He watched less TV out here in Canada (partly because it was high on the wall, and he couldn't lick it) because his new love was the ATV. He would constantly look out of the window and check on it in a morning, lie by it during the day, chase it whenever it was being driven - he just loved it.

I could write a book on what he could do - but don't want to go on and on with my first posting on here!

His ashes came back to us yesterday, and we were totally bereft :D

I found this site, because I had been trawling through endless rubbish on the internet, trying to find pics and trace Tan's pedigree, which was pretty awesome. I had never realised this - we bought him purely because we were drawn to him in the litter. I think he was wasted with us, after finding out he came from: Glen 75630, Dryden Queen 70345, Bwich Jess 138143, Gunner Keele 148401, Nell 143510, (who produced Wisp 161487) Davy 131049, Fleet 38813, Rhaiddr Zac 94341, Bill 130645 - to name but a few of his gt. gt. grandparents.

I don't know where to ask on here, but if anybody has any photos or information - or would be interested in helping me put together a photo family tree of my very special boy, I would be so thrilled.

The rest is more boring because it is about me! I have an arab mare which I am teaching (to her disgust) how to do dressage - and I have nearly 35 horses here at my equestrian centre, although I only own the one! We have spent the last three years turning around the centre from a pretty run-down place, to a centre where we have some very exclusive instructors, and some high quality riding.

We just built an adobe house on the property last year (NOT a relaxing experience!) and we have been enjoying the lifestyle which Canada offers.

We came from a very beautiful area in England - just by Stratford upon Avon (Shakespeare country) - but have never looked back since we set foot on the arid dusty bowl which is Kamloops!

Hope I haven't bored anyone, I don't know if supplying a history the 'normal' thing to do on this forum, but a big 'Hello' to you all - and I'm looking forward to being part of what seems an excellent and informative site.

Here is a pic of my beloved boy - 12 in this pic. He was quite a big collie too - I don't know which bloodlines produced his larger build.

post-9318-1224085740_thumb.jpg

post-9318-1224085865_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Sounds like quite an exciting life you have, and what a great setup for the dogs. My condolences for the loss of your Tan.

thank you - far more exciting than when living in the UK!

I lost a treasured friend today,

The little dog who used to lay

His gentle head upon my knee

And share his silent thoughts with me...

He'll come no longer to my call,

Retrieve no more his favorite ball;

A voice far greater than my own

Has called him to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears,

I thank Him for the happy years

He let him spend down here with me

And for his love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go

And join him there, this much I know...

I shall not fear the transient dark

For he will greet me with his bark.

Via con Dios, Tanna...

Oh I forgot to mention, we held the Five Star dog championships here at my indoor arena.

It looked like the dogs loved every minute - and was great to watch.

lynda,

i'm so sorry for your loss.

was tan registered with the i.s.d.s? if he has a reg. number but you don't have the pedigree,you can easily get one from the isds or from http://www.bcdb.info/index.htm. he charges a small fee- i think something like 7 euro.the isds also sells stud books but they are very dear-would love to have the set.you can always go back to where you got him and ask about his pedigree ,the lines,kind of workers his parents were,etc.most people are quite willing to provide any information on their dogs.

sounds like you made a lovely life for yourself there in canada!(i'm from texas,married an irishman and we're getting ready to move back in a couple of months. rain rain and more rain!)

krisztina

lynda,

i'm so sorry for your loss.

was tan registered with the i.s.d.s? if he has a reg. number but you don't have the pedigree,you can easily get one from the isds or from http://www.bcdb.info/index.htm. he charges a small fee- i think something like 7 euro.the isds also sells stud books but they are very dear-would love to have the set.you can always go back to where you got him and ask about his pedigree ,the lines,kind of workers his parents were,etc.most people are quite willing to provide any information on their dogs.

sounds like you made a lovely life for yourself there in canada!(i'm from texas,married an irishman and we're getting ready to move back in a couple of months. rain rain and more rain!)

krisztina

haha - you're right about the rain!! It's all very beautiful there though. What part?

Thanks for the stud info. I'm finding it hard to find specific information and pics of each dog in Tan's line, and I would dearly love to make it a pictoral family tree. I have found some stuff about Davy, Wisp and Gunner Keele, as they were particularly popular, but finding next to nothing image-wise on the others. I think buying that book would be fab, thanks.

Thanks guys - actually it IS me in the pic - I'm cuddling my 18hh Irish Draft, Guinness. (another rescue :rolleyes: )

He was too old to fly out with me, plus the fact the airline wanted me to pay for TWO spaces on the airplane because he was so big !

Welcome Lynda from one horse and dog lover to another!

So sorry to hear you lost your girl, but glad you have the comfort of your others to help get you through it.

Ahh Kamloops, nice spot, we live in Salmon Arm.

Glad to have you aboard.

Craig & Mya

We must pay you a visit one day!

I was there for the dressage show - just 2 weeks ago, at the showground.

Hi Lynda:

I'm new here myself and don't currently own a Border Collie, but I'll say welcome anyway :D Deepest sympathies on your loss. I lost my best buddy last year - a German Shepherd - to cancer; he was only 9 :rolleyes:

Never been to Kamloops, but we know a breeder of Canadiens (Cheval Canadien) near you - Cherry Creek. Are you familiar with it? It's been several years since our mare moved on to new pastures, but I just love the breed. Our girl came from Rohirrim Farm in New Brunswick. Zoe raises Canadian sporthorses crossed on the Canadien.

~ Tru

www.freewebs.com/laingcroft