BC Boards

Nor Cal Field Trial Recommendation for a Novice

Indydog

Can anyone recommend a good field trial event some where in northern california that has a novice category? I'm think some time in January/March time frame? Both Derek and Bill said that was a good goal based on what they saw from working with my dog Indy.

Also, both instructors have encouraged me to practice on my own time. We live in SF. The closest ranch to us is Pescadero which is about 1.5 hr away. Does anyone know of anything closer?

Jim & Michelle

Indy, Abby and Booty (meow!)

Definitely check out the San Juaquin Border Collie Assoc. I think it's sjbca.org. They have GREAT fun trials, focusing on novice and pro-novice (they're in Porterville--not too far). I believe the next one is next weekend (so hurry--even if you just go watch and meet folks!!). It's a trial situation, but they have super friendly, helpful Open handlers there to assist when things go wrong, so you don't have to just retire--you can actually get help and learn! I can't recommend this series highly enough. They usually have 3 or so per year.

Suzy Applegate is closer to Sacramento, I think; seems like it might be a bit closer for you? She's wonderful to work with. She's at hoof 'n paw farms. You should find her website if you google that. Mike is all the way down in Coalinga--that's probably too far, I think.

Anyway, there's a great group of stockdogging folks all over CA...

A

There is a calendar of events on the NCWSA website:

http://www.norcalsheepdog.org/

And on the SJVBCA website:

http://www.sjvbca.org/

There are plenty of upcoming trials to go and watch. The Porterville series is the only one having the Novice-Novice class that I know of at this time. Porterville is a bit of a drive from San Francisco, though.

RESDA has a trial at the Harvest Fair in Santa Rosa (Sonoma County Fairgrounds) this Sunday. It is not a field trial but would be an opportunity to watch and maybe make some contacts for practicing in the future.

www.resda.com

good luck,

--Billy

There is a calendar of events on the NCWSA website:

http://www.norcalsheepdog.org/

And on the SJVBCA website:

http://www.sjvbca.org/

There are plenty of upcoming trials to go and watch. The Porterville series is the only one having the Novice-Novice class that I know of at this time. Porterville is a bit of a drive from San Francisco, though.

RESDA has a trial at the Harvest Fair in Santa Rosa (Sonoma County Fairgrounds) this Sunday. It is not a field trial but would be an opportunity to watch and maybe make some contacts for practicing in the future.

www.resda.com

good luck,

--Billy

The next Porterville Fun Trial is next weekend (October 11 and 12). It is great fun. Friendly people and as much or as little help as you want. I know Derek is familiar with it because he went to the one in June with my Maggie as he was coordinating getting Paige from a friend in NorCal. So you can ask Derek if you are ready. The nice thing is they have two days of competitive (within the concept of Novice) and also "Fun Runs" in the afternoon where you can practice. Having both Saturday and Sunday Runs is great because you feel like the trip is worth it. If everything heads to Hades in a hand basket you can still use up your time for practice. It's the best deal going - $20 bucks per day which includes lunch and valuable advice from some very good handlers. The website is www.sjvbca.org Be careful to use ".org" and not ".com"

SJVBCA this year had five fun trials (Jan, Feb, June, Sept and Oct) which all had Novice class plus one actual trial (Great Western in March) with a Novice class. If you want to see what happens at the Porterville Fun Trial Novice run you can see video of some of Maggie and Kit (Dr. Bob's dog) runnig Novice a couple weeks ago at www.youtube.com/magrammedia There are also videos of some more advanced dogs and some older runs as well. Maggie and I are definitely going back next weekend and for the Fun Trials in general so hope tomeet you there soon.

Nor cal sheepdog also has a few trials which include Novice - Diaz Ranch for one - usually early March. Their website is very good but you can find the event listings for both on SJVBCA site.

Glad Derek is working for you. He helped us a lot.

Pat and Maggie

I really appreciate the info from all you fine folks!! :rolleyes:

MagRam Proterville Sounds great but next weekend is bad for us. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm going to go watch the Pleasant Hill trial in Elk Grove in a few weeks. I can't wait. It will be my first time at a trial.

MagRam Proterville Sounds great but next weekend is bad for us. Thanks for the tip though.

I'm going to go watch the Pleasant Hill trial in Elk Grove in a few weeks. I can't wait. It will be my first time at a trial.

I think that is the trial being put on by Tom and Lisann Spencer. They are great people and very helpful.

Should be a number of very good handlers there. Still on my wish list for next year as we are not yet able to run the Pro-Novice course.

An excellent first trial to enjoy.

At GW this year when I was down after a wild and crazy run Tom picked me up coming off the field by telling me to "remember you beat the people that didn't even show up". It was the right thing to say at the right time and led to a renewed comittment to progress which has been paying off.

Point Pleasant....I will be there. Yes it's a nice place to go for your first trial.

--Billy

I think that is the trial being put on by Tom and Lisann Spencer. They are great people and very helpful.

An excellent first trial to enjoy.

Last year's was the first trial I watched. Ed and Barbara (Spencer) are also very nice. Hope to make it up again this year. Zamora, a few weeks later, is well worth a visit too.