BC Boards

Dangerous Dog Report

DTrain

Just to add to my dog Pete's recent troubles he has been declared a dangerous dog, not really. I have been run over by geese, sheep, one or two cows and the odd sheep dog and have always managed to survive. On Monday night we were doing a play session with the guys and having a great time. I was throwing a frisbee and my wife was doing ball duty. I made a bad throw and off Pete went straight toward my wife. She and Pete both zigged in the same direction. My wife went up in the air and came down to break her ankle. Pete did a flip and continued on. We went to the hospital and did the usual stuff. It was not funny at the time of course but we began to see the light side the next evening. My wife had words with Pete at the time and a few suggestions as to were he could put his body slams. We got a few suggestions from friends of course and I thought one in particular was very creative. We should get a set of flash cards like Pete can read. Hold up a picture of a sheep and say yes, you can body slam, hold up a picture of a cow and a goose and do the same thing and then hold up a picture of my wife and say, no body slam. It took a couple of days and except for my wife all seems to be getting back to normal. Oddly enough my wife has been home all week and the dogs have access to her all the time. We have noticed that the dogs have perked up, they seem to be happier and have less problems as I have described in a number of other posts. When we lived in the middle of nowhere we were home together every day with the dogs. My wife has gone back to work since we moved and I am wondering if her being home is something the dogs have been missing. Go figure.

Your poor wife! Once during some zoomies, Jackson came shooting in the doggie door at about 90mph, just as I was going to open the door. BAM! Right into my shin his head went. Dog didn't even slow down. I was limping for two days, and had a goose egg on my shin for quite awhile. We used to joke that Jackson needed a crash helmet, but we came to the conclusion God must have known and he came into this world with one of his own, sometimes called a skull.

Hope your DW is feeling better soon!

And yeah, if the dogs were used to 24/7 human company, they will certainly not like it when it is taken away!

Aw, jeez, D, the news just keeps getting better.

Seriously, I think you may be on to something there. My dogs definitely are a little more on edge, a little less ready to settle when I'm away from home several days in a row, or working longer hours than normal.

And tell DW, direct from the Queen of Foot Injuries, that when the doctors say keep your foot elevated as much as possible, they are speaking wisdom. It helps enormously with the long term recovery. AND, stay on the anti inflammatories for a couple weeks at least, if she can tolerate them. That helps a lot, too.

Hope everything goes better for you all!

Ruth n the BC3

I don't know if it will make her feel any better, but tell your wife ACDs are worse. My friend Brenda was walking innocently in her front yard one day when one ACD came barrelling hell-for-leather around the corner of the house, hotly pursued by the other. The one in front may have attempted to brake before the collision, but the one behind just kept coming, with the result that two canine fireplugs cannoned into Brenda's shin, snapping both tibia and fibula into two pieces. She required surgery and pins to put her leg back together again.

I hope your wife feels better soon and doesn't bear any grudges. :rolleyes: