BC Boards

Puppy barking at kids during walks

Our 6 month old puppy Abby is very keen and notices the slightest difference in our surrounding. She was barking/growling at people when they suddently appeared. Since we live in the city we wanted to nip it in the butt. Our trainer suggested click and treat before she gets a chance to bark at people. She has gotten a lot better now. But whenever kids run or move in a certain way she goes nuts. Its kind of pain to bring a clicker and treats whenever we go out and since we started herding, I'd like to move away from clicker training. Any advice or experiences you can share would be great!

Thanks,

Jim

My young dog became very leary of kids and would bark and growl at them after witnessing a 2 year old have a kicking, screaming, temper tantrum (must admit...scared me too! ;-) ). She could see them coming a mile away and would immediately tense up and get big eyed and worried. She loves to play ball so whenever I would see a kid I would first ask their parents then would explain how she is scared, like they get scared sometimes, and would they please toss her ball for her? Most kids really seemed to empathize with her fear and were very good about tossing the ball and not pressing her to be petted. Being fair I did pick the kids who looked like they could handle this.

Now she is fine with kids and will approach them willingly for pets, treats and ball throws. I am very careful to keep her kid interactions very positive and if I see the slightest possibility of a child having a meltdown or happy screams we just matter of factly walk away to do something fun elsewhere.

I think the crisis is over but it did take about 3 months of work to get over it. She is very movement reactive and somewhat hyper-alert too. Take your time and don't coddle or get all worked up over her behavior. It seems that a calm, reasonable attitude and expecting your dog to be reasonable as well is the best way to go.

Olivia

All of my border collies, be them rescues or pups were wonderful with kids. I won't leave them alone in a room with them. I have 2 very young grandson's 18 months and 2 years. They poke the eyes, nose mouth and take toys away from the dogs. I have told my daughter-in-laws, be careful. MOST dogs do NOT behave like this. So we introduce (to the kids- LOL) the easy command. The dogs are great, don't mind the high pitched screaming or even being sat on, though we do NOT encourage this. They deserve their respect too, after all, it is the dog's home and the grandkids are just visiting. Most parents are very good about approaching a new dog- then their are idiots. You can usually read the parents easier than the dog.

I had a similar experience to Olivia. My dog had just never really interacted with kids when I brought him home. Anything he feared, he'd growl and bark at. So, (after working a long time on general human socialization), instead of having him treated to the grabbing, poking hands, I ask any kids over the age of 18 months if they'll give the dog a treat. I even have them ask him to "sit," which they like, and work on the other tricks too, if they're willing.

Buddy now kind of likes kids. His body is relaxed and calm when they're approaching us. BUT... I also supervise his interactions very closely, to be sure they're all positive, and I'd never leave him alone with a child.

Mary

Tiga did bark a little bit at kids when he was younger, but we have a lot of kids in our lives so he had to get used to it pretty darn quick. He is super good with them now. Again, I would never leave him alone with a child, but he'll interact with them until they start getting rough, then he'll just walk away from them. He knows kids have the best tasteing faces and hands that usually have food in or on them. :rolleyes:

What Olivia said. Having the kids toss a ball (supervised, of course) is a great way to alter the dog's mood from fear to "hey! these little people are fun!".

And this is important too!

Take your time and don't coddle or get all worked up over her behavior. It seems that a calm, reasonable attitude and expecting your dog to be reasonable as well is the best way to go.

Worked for my shy, reactive one. :rolleyes: