BC Boards

Does your dog really know their name?

Both Mishka and Moss know their names. If I say it they react. I can say their name and give a command the other on ignores it. I can call one of them to me without the other - unless they think something like food is being offered. They definitely know their name and most frequently used nickname, Tosser and Belle, refer to them. I am aslo sure they know that the other dogs names refer to that dog.

Cole on the other hand reacts the same way to all 3 names. Last night while he was lying on the lounge I said the names in turn, with a bit of time between them, and got exactly the same ear prick and tail wag but not to an unknown name like Fido. Doesn't matter which name or nickname I call I get Cole. A name followed by a command Cole does it. I am sure he thinks he's called Colemishkamossguggamgootosserbelle and all abreviations of it. Either that or he's not going to miss out on anything.

Do your dogs really know their names?

ETA This has me slightly perplexed which is why I have posted.

My dogs not only know their names. They know their nicknames. And they know each other's names and nicknames. And for that matter, they know several people's names. I've seen this in all my dogs over a couple decades.

Cole is the first dog I have had that I have wondered if he knows his name. I reared and trained him no differently to any other dog. My old BC, Boot, also knew the cats names when I had them and you could ask him to find a particular cat and he would.

I'm with Liz. not only do they know they're names but each others names (nicknames included) and all the family members. Plus just about any name I use more than once. THey will all respond if they think there's something in it for them. But they know when I'm talking to them. Watch when you correct your other dog, bet Cole won't respond to that one! :rolleyes: He knows his name!

Kristen

Watch when you correct your other dog, bet Cole won't respond to that one! :rolleyes: He knows his name!

Kristen

If I correct one of the others I end up wearing him even though I say the other dogs name first. Corrections don't happen that often here as the dogs on a whole are well behaved.

Of the 3 of my dogs he is the most focussed on me and probably the most responsive and definitely the most sensative. At the moment the other 2 are pottering in the yard and he is at my feet.

My dogs not only know their names. They know their nicknames. And they know each other's names and nicknames.

My dogs are the same way. I was presented with this very question once before and have played little games with my dogs to see if they truly do know their names - I guess I surprising number of dogs do not. In a voice normal in volume and pitch, I'd say a random name - and was ignored, having done nothing to attract the attention of the dog I was testing. I'd then say the dog's name in the exact same tone - Quynn, for example, responded immediately to "Quynn", "Q", "QD", and a few of his other nicknames. Sierra and Hallie, also, as well as my terrier whom I lost last spring.

Scooter responds to all his names. Just the other day I said to my husband, "How ya doin' Buddy?" and Scooter came running in from the other room to see what I wanted! LOL!

Years ago, I met a friend to go for a walk. I left her holding my dog's leash and went to get something from the car. I could see her talking to him and when I returned to them, she said "You don't call yourself Mommy to him, do you?" I said, no, of course I didn't, why? She replied that she had been asking him "Where's Mommy?" and he just kept staring at her. As soon as she said, "Where's Liz?" he turned his head and looked at me. I laughed and told her that he was probably thinking "Mom is in Chicago" (where my mom lives). :rolleyes:

I know someone who has overused their dog's name so much (basically just nagging him) that he doesn't respond to it anymore. I've often thought that they should just give him a new name and start over.

My dogs know their names and the names of everyone around them. They know their commands and do a very good job. My youngest dog Dave knows his name but he will respond to the other dogs name. If I ask Pete to come I will get Pete and Dave. As he is growing he seems to be doing this less bit I expect he was doing it because he thought there was something in it for him or just wanted my attention on him.

Yup, my dog knows his name and the names of his doggy friends, plus some family members. Because he's named, "Buddy," he often meets people out in the world who call him by his (admittedly generic) name - and he always looks a bit surprised, like, "How does that guy know me?"

Mary

My dogs know their own names, their myriad of nicknames, each other's names and nicknames, their friends' names - dog, cat and human - and they also know their toys' names (Fifa, Wootie Toy, Ball, Not This Ball, That Ball etc.)

They also all believe that they are in trouble if one of them is in trouble. The "F" word sends them all scurrying away to hide. If one gets in trouble I have to smile at and love on the other two so they don't think it's them. And if there are cookies involved any time I ask someone for a behaviour, I may get that behaviour from all three dogs even if I only asked the one. When there are no obvious cookies, I pretty much just get it from the one.

Mr. Woo is aware that he has many many names (Woo, Wootie, Tricky, Tricky Woo, Mr. Woo, Noodles, Noods, WooHoo! Woot! etc.) and persistently ignores each and every one of them. I am thinking about just changing his name to "Stupid Dink" and getting it over with already.

RDM