BC Boards

I "think" I'm adopting!!

There is a dog for adoption- totally wild- yeehaw. I love that!!! It's a challenge! A man on my dystonia BB asked if I would train a dog for him. He was on a film that was on PBS. It was the first film that really showed people about dystonia. I have surrendered that I no longer can train border collies to herd sheep- mostly lack of farm, but also lack of balance. The dogs don't seem to mind my tremor. I did pretty good with Usher and also Bailey.

So, I searched on the rescue board and talked to the person, whom I know and would give me a dog in a heartbeat. She said, maybe this dog isn't right for Usher- but I failed to tell her that the dog wasn't for me. What I would like to do with my life, now that I'm disabled is to train other dogs to help, as my dog has helped me.

Now, this man has dystonia because of an accident. He was a college coach. It shattered his life. His is like mine. Not totally crippling, but shaking and off-balance. He can NOT have a invisible fence, because he had deep brain stimulation, which didn't work. So, I would have to perimeter train.

The main question here is, do you think I have something to give via border collies and giving back? I love the breed and I HATE dystonia. Here is a picture of the beautiful totally "wild child" that I would love to train to give to this man. He's 5'9 and slender. I think the dog would be right for him.

inrescue.jpg

Now, of course, it would take me about 6 months to train him. I don't want ANY money except the money to get the dog out of rescue and shipping.

I think your good at training BC's to help other people. Bailey seems to be doing good. The only thing I would think about is if he would bother Usher to much. Since he's a wild child. I think it's cool that you can train them that way and help other people live better while doing it. Let me know if you get that cute looking boy. He sure is handsome!

Oh, Usher sure misses the playing. After obedience today, he saw a fat Aussie. He wanted to play and so did the fat Aussie. Usher misses that. I think the in-going and out-going of other dogs will be good for him. He KNOWS he is #1 top dog. Bailey beat the chit outta Usher. Yet......he still misses her, me too.

My kids think I'm doing the right thing. They are pretty good kids. I can't do what I did for rescue what I did before, but maybe this is better. One dog at a time PLUS a much better placement than a pet home.

This sounds like a grat way of giving back to dogs and people and we certainly need more talented SD trainers out there. I do have several things I can think of off the top:

- Did I read it correctly that the person who would be placing the dog with you does not realize you are not going to be his forever home? If so, you need to up front about what your plans are - most people would be happy the dog is going to a working home and honesty is the best policy in these situations.

- What happens if this boy washes out? Not every dog is service dog material and you need to have a plan in place for this possibility.

- Is this dog going to do any bracing or other heavy support stuff? BCs are not large enough to do support service work unless it's very light duty. This man will need to know this and be taught the proper way to use his dog for balance help. How will you teach this?

- How are you going to screen people? BCs, even well trained ones, are not necessarily dogs for everyone. You'll need to screen especially carefully since this will be a "free" service to ensure proper use and care of the dog.

HTH. Good Luck!! :rolleyes:

If the dog is really big enough for the balance work, it sounds great. But take the guy with to meet before you get the dog home--you want to make sure they have proper chemistry.

I wouldn't want to use Molly for balance or getting up--she just isn't big enough.

I use Usher for balance only with another object. If I fall, he's there with me and a table or something. I would NEVER put all my weight on him. Also, when he's all filled out, I'm getting a harness. That will help me more with mobility. I'm not sure if I'm taking this dog yet. I might just try him for a month. I was upfront with the rescue. I said, at least he would have some one on one training and come back a better trained dog. So, basically, I would be fostering in case he was a wash out and then he would be much easier to place being trained and all.

A Border Collie is what ... maybe 21" ... 22" at the withers if he's large? Dianne, you're what? 5'2" and about 100 lbs. give or take, right? Wouldn't a Golden Retriever or perhaps a Labrador be more appropriate considering their size and stability? I mean, Usher may be fine for you, but if you're looking to train dogs for people, while very admirable, wouldn't a more appropriate breed be a good idea? Yes, Border Collies are wonderful and learn things very quickly ... but it just doesn't seem to me that they are large/stable enough for balance work. I know that you say you only use Usher along with something else, but what if the person were to fall and there was nothing else there but the dog?

I think I agree with everyone else. If I was looking for a mans dog for training I would be looking for a border mix or a massive Aussie. The dogs we have that went to training were BC Husky mixed or 75 lb calm aussie although both are currently being used for mostly guidence and to prevent injuries with things like stoves leaving the house without a parent.

The ones I have in helper training are BC mixed Not saying purebreds cant but, the dogs picked the people.

The Bc's I have in psychological training are female bc's and a mix. One does abused children.

To be honest I dont think any of the dogs were the peoples picture choice.

I'm not saying a beautiful BC cant do it but, I think the fact that the person is saying the dog is wild might deter me. All of the working dogs i have. had one thing in common a very stable calm personality, a special presence about them.

I think you guys might be right about balance work- Usher does suit my height and weight. A larger dog would probably be better, the thing is. I have NEVER trained any other breed except border collies and BC mixes. I feel like I wouldn't be able to do it. I lack the confidence in myself with any other breed. I've been with BC's for 20 years now, if someone gave me a golden, I'm afraid I would expect it to learn like a border collie. Does anyone understand what I'm trying to get across here? Sorry, been gone all day and my mind is mush.

Well, guess what? A man approached me that was on a dystonia movie called "Twisted". He has a golden lab that he wants to ship to me and have me train it. This will be a big challenge for me. I told him I'd give it a go. So, my world is now expanding to beyond border collies- LOL. The movie helped me so much and maybe I can help him. The dog is also a rescue. But a lab? Wish me luck!!!

You, outside the world of BC's? Wow. I hope you don't turn into a.............*gasp*......... LAB person!! :rolleyes: Good luck though. I know you'll do great. How is he shipping him to you anyway?