BC Boards

Need some advice

Ok, I have a very confusing situtation. A long story short the WBCR needs to make room for one more male BC that has to get out of a high kill shelter ASAP. But no one has room for one more. He is said to be aggressive so I can't take him, but I may be taking in a nicer less pushy female BC to make room for him. My questions are, what's the best way to bring in a new dog to a dog that is very touchy? How long should I let them get to know each other? and do I need to keep him from growling/nipping at her? It wouldn't be perfect but I would make room and time for her as long as they get along. Nothing is set yet so I don't really know for sure yet.

I second that suggestion. With my first dog, who was very possessive of her people and home, we figured out even if we just let her out the front door to meet and greet people and their dogs before they came into the house made her feel much more accepting of them. In your case, neutral territory where play is involved might allow them to form an introductory relationship before being in BJ's house together.

Good luck and good for you!

Ailsa

Thanks guys. The only problem I can see coming is he starts to feel left out until he finally bonds with the othr dog. I guess this is normal. He has met four dogs before that I was trying to foster and it went like this. Went to park or some place new, smelled the other dog, wagged tail, walks around, seems happy to see them, then starts to lightly growl under his breath when they come close, then seems ok with them, then starts to growl more. I haven't let him stay around longer than that before because it wasn't a need to fostr now situation. But it is kinda that way now. The rescue has some dogs coming back for unforseen reasons and just added one more. So if any way possible I need to help out now. Is that normal for a dog to do when they first meet? Do you think he'll stop after a while? I am only working part time right now so I will be home more to watch them and keep them busy, so that's not a problem. I just don't want to get into something bad.

he starts to feel left out until he finally bonds with the othr dog. I guess this is normal. He has met four dogs before that I was trying to foster and it went like this. Went to park or some place new, smelled the other dog, wagged tail, walks around, seems happy to see them, then starts to lightly growl under his breath when they come close, then seems ok with them, then starts to growl more.

Yep, this is normal for some dogs. One of my resident dogs behaves this way when I first bring a foster home - every single time - and I have fostered about 12 or 14 dogs now... It goes on for anywhere from 3 days to 2 weeks - depending on the new dog's personality and whatever else may be going on.

The biggest thing that helps in my pack is that I say who comes and goes and I say who can squabble and who cannot. And I do not believe in letting them "work it out". Until they start contributing to the mortgage payments, there is only one leader, and it's my game and my rules :rolleyes:

Stepping off of soap box now....

I'm not sure about your dog because I don't know him, but my dog that has the "getting to know you" issues is insecure and unsure of his status. I ignore his sulking and praise him when he comes out with "the pack". If he growls to tell the dog to stay out of his face, this is permitted. He is not permitted, however, to snap or snarl at the new dog without cause or just behave generally bratty - which he tries to do with nearly every new arrival.

As long as you maintain some structure, set the rules and make them follow your rules, you will be fine. They can sense what they can get away with and they will push you. Do not fall victim to feeling sorry for the foster dog - they live in the present and they need you to be a strong leader - that is how they will blossom :-)

Also, I am a huge fan of everyone having their own crate. I use them not only when I cannot supervise, but I use them to give my dogs downtime or time to think. Do not be afraid to have one dog crated while you work with another, etc.

Do not try to make your dog "like" the new dog or be friends with him. That is unreasonable...some will like eachother and some may just not be compatible (like people)! As long as your dog and the new dog are civil and behave themselves, that is all you can expect from them.

Thank you for you generous spirit in helping a rescue dog get a new lease on life :D

Oh, and I would also suggest that you continue to do things with your own dog that you did before so that he doesn't feel that his place with you is in danger ;-)

Thanks guys. The only problem I can see coming is he starts to feel left out until he finally bonds with the othr dog. I guess this is normal. He has met four dogs before that I was trying to foster and it went like this. Went to park or some place new, smelled the other dog, wagged tail, walks around, seems happy to see them, then starts to lightly growl under his breath when they come close, then seems ok with them, then starts to growl more.

It sounds to me like BJ is growling both because he is being possessive of you and showing that he is in charge. Are you showing the other dog lots of attention and allowing BJ to be snarky? :D Is it possible to be matter-of-fact about their meeting and perhaps rather than standing around (and not playing) could you take both BJ and new dog on lead around the neighbourhood together so they can both be with you on the same level. Does this make sense?

And the fact that you'll be around more is good since you'll be able to assure BJ you're not abandoning him and that you're the one who calls the shots! :rolleyes:

Ailsa ... responding while all4paws was sending a thorough and much better answer!

Not all dogs will get along. Not all dogs get along with first meeting. It takes time.

My dogs do not always get along and we may have some verbal squabbles that one will try to escalate but with a verbal correction from me, everything stops. Managing situations will work.

If you want to take the foster, take the foster. BJ knows you love him to death but he also guilts you into getting rid of fosters. You need to take control. You are such a good person and BJ is lucky to have you but he also needs to learn to get along with others (or just deal in general) without being bratty. If your family is ok with you bringing in a foster, then do it. Just manage everything.

Crating is also a good idea. Alternate who is crated if one is being bratty. Both dogs will need individual training or time alone with you.

Everyone has some great ideas, AJ. I can only echo them. Neutral territory and let Black Jack get his little growlies out. They'll adapt. Good luck with your new foster- and if you fall in love, what the heck?

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm still not sure if I will be getting her or not. At least I feel a little more ready if I do. I will keep you up dated.

Thanks Angie and Ailsa, your posts really answered most of my questions and conserns. I appreciate it.