BC Boards

Explain how I'm another ignorant teenager, please...

That's terrible! I've been considering teaching my dogs an attack command...this makes me want to even more.

This is not a good idea. Teach them to bark on command at an approaching person, but not attack. Your average BC possibly may be a deterent, but is not going to be much in the way of protection against someone determined to do you harm. If you want a personal protection dog, then you need to seriouly train a protection dog. It takes the right breed and at least a year of dedicated training on your part.

Every time the subject of aggressive off leash dogs comes up, pepper spray is suggested. My opinion is that pepper spray can have some unintended consequences for the user, especially someone who doesn't know how to use it... like blowing back and getting on you or your own dog. I know it's the strongest response possible, but I'm just not sure it's the best idea in this situation.

This product obviously wouldn't help with aggressive people, but I've seen it work on dogs, and it's safer for the user. I know I feel a lot more comfortable carrying it than I would pepper spray.

Direct Stop

I'd like to play devil's advocate here.

Of all the times that one has had an off-leash dog charging them or their dogs, how many times has this ended in an attack? I have had this happen several times but it has never ended in an attack. I maintain my composure, tell Skye its ok, and we stand calmly until the offending dog has had a chance to posture, feel like its done its job and we all go on our way. It is annoying but I can only imagine how an over-reaction from us might make the situation quickly escalate. Like if I sprayed the dog with pepper spray. Not only might it make the dog more upset and reactive but it would probably anger the cr..p out of the owner. Maybe its because I never expect the worst -- but then again I'm not a pushover. I'm not adverse to yelling and screaming if a dog were to attack Skye. I like the idea of being prepared for, although not necessarily expecting, the worst. I'm just not sure about leaving the house carrying a weapon.

Maybe that's just me.

Ailsa

Every time the subject of aggressive off leash dogs comes up, pepper spray is suggested. My opinion is that pepper spray can have some unintended consequences for the user, especially someone who doesn't know how to use it... like blowing back and getting on you or your own dog. I know it's the strongest response possible, but I'm just not sure it's the best idea in this situation.

This product obviously wouldn't help with aggressive people, but I've seen it work on dogs, and it's safer for the user. I know I feel a lot more comfortable carrying it than I would pepper spray.

Direct Stop

That's the kind of stuff I'm familiar with too. I just couldn't for the life of my remember the name of the product.

DTrain...how do you carry all that stuff with you? Where are you usually walking? Which dog do you have the bite command with?

Unfortunately, I have had the experience of an off leash dog charging and attacking my dog. I'm not a wimp. I usually have been able to handle the situation on the several other times, before and after, when I have been approached by an aggressive dog. Usually, it doesn't take much more than shoving my dogs behind me and telling the attacking dog "no." Sometimes, it involved shoving a hiking boot in the dog's mouth or picking up my 60lb dog. But this dog ran right around me and my other posturing dog to attack the cowering puppy, and I was stuck in the situation of keeping my other dog out of it and trying to get the attacking dog and Seelie separated.

Hi Liz, I don't carry all of that stuff with me all the time. As has been mentioned most approaches by other dogs usually end in nothing more than who has the highest tail. In the vast majority of situations all this stuff would be over-kill. I do however carry all this stuff when in bear country. I always have a walking stick with me along with a screamer and a cell phone. I did not put the bite command on the dog and I have never used it. The command was put on by another trainer and I have seen him use it. I do suggest bear spray but I have been trained how and when to use it. There are other products on the market. Some of them are issued to mail carriers and they are very effective. I would not fire a spray of any sort at an approaching dog but only at very close range in the event of a fight. You are correct, you will also get your own dog but you may also prevent a serious injury. In many cases a loud noise maker such as a screamer are as effective as spray. I do not recommend it but often times if you run at an approaching dog and shout, the dog will back down. My youngest dog was recently attacked while on leash by a dog who lives in our area. He approached on a run and grabbed my dog. My oldest dog attacked him. I set off my screamer and everyone put their tails down and stopped and calmed down. The attacking dog backed off. I put a leash around his neck and took him back to his home where I strongly reminded his owner to keep the dog under control. I have a close relationship with our local animal control people. They are not easily willing to give up information but they can be a valuable source of information and training.

I like the idea of being prepared for, although not necessarily expecting, the worst. I'm just not sure about leaving the house carrying a weapon.

Maybe that's just me.

Ailsa

I would never advocate anyone that is uncomfortable and untrained to carry a weapon as a self defense mechanism,be it pepper spray (which a person who chooses to carry such really needs to be trained and comfortable with the use of)or be it tazer or ballistic gun.

Personally I never leave my house without at least one or a combination of such tools depending on the circumstances of where and what i am doing.

I maintain my composure, tell Skye its ok, and we stand calmly until the offending dog has had a chance to posture, feel like its done its job and we all go on our way.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this approach providing you have postured yourself in a fasion that would allow you to best defend yourself and your dog/s in the event that the aggressive dog breaks that invisible zone that would call for the use of forceful defense.

Having your pepper spray or other weapon at the ready is much more preferable then to come under attack and not be able to equip yourself.

Training is the key,a person has to be comfortable in their knowledge of when and to what degree force is required.

With pepper spray IMO it is a good rule of thumb that if the "target" has entered the range of the spray and has not responded to verbal or other tactics to advert then its time to unload on the "target"

My bc mix was attacked by offleash dogs twice plus some other instances, my acd was attacked once and pinned under bleachers by the dogs, my mom's rottie was attacked by another rottie while my stepfather walked him. My stepfather is a retired police officer and he shot the other rottie in the leg. It finally ran home. My stepfather did call the cops, etc...

So yes these offleash dogs do attack sometimes and it does not hurt to be prepared. My response about carrying mace was for Human to Human spraying not dog. It will not do much for dogs alot of times. For the dog I would carry a stick or some other weapon of choice that a teenager or woman can carry easily.

Here's another idea I'll float out there for those that encounter off leash, potentially unfriendly dogs while we're out with our dogs. It's something I've never tried, but sounds like it might work.

Trevor, my DH, is a park ranger who encounters off leash dogs a lot. Sometimes they're not too happy to see him, and he's found that a great way to settle them right down is to simply tell them authoritatively to "SIT". He's told me that every time he's been confronted by an off leash, growling dog and remembers to do this, it looks momentarily confused, then sits and is fine with him after that. Maybe "sit" is just a command even the most irresponsible owner teaches and giving a dog a command it knows changes the dynamic somehow? I don't know why, but it works for him.

I wonder if this would work on some dogs in the situation where you have leashed dogs with you?

Living in the town I do I do feel the need to carry a firearm when I go on a walk sometimes. I always walk during the day and when there are fewer people there. Being a guy people think that I would have less problems, but actually I have just as many as a girl. It's kind of weird. I always have freaky guys coming up to me and trying to talk to me. That's why I have a Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm pistol. Maybe it's just me, but a firearm does make me feel safer. Not that everyone should have one though.