BC Boards

Possible Hip/Leg Injury

Nick & I had a long, hard session loading ewes & lambs in the trailer today. It's been "hot" here- in the upper 80's, which is really hot for this area. Nick did his usual climb in the water trough when we were done, then when he got going again, he was all wobbly in the hind end. At one point when we were working, he took a turn super fast, and bounced off a fence that was hidden by tall grass- we were in a field he's never worked before. No yelp, no slowing down, but I'm thinking he hurt himself. (This is the same dog who ripped his nail off in the field and didn't miss a beat moving sheep.)

Nick doesn't seem to be in pain, I can poke him all over. He took off after my landlady's BC before I could stop him when we got home. He seems to feel fine, but he moves like he's been drinking!

A few hours later, there's only a mild hitch in his gait.

I talked to our local vet, who is AWFUL, and he recommended rest for a few days & watching to see if it gets worse. I called my good vet, but they can't get Nick in until next Tuesday. I live on an island, it's the 4th of July week, and the ferry schedule is atrocious for locals to get off to the mainland... If Nick gets worse, I can take him off to the e-vet. The good vet said rest & med for the pain management. I have some meds on hand that I asked the vet about. Even if he seems fine, I'm still going to have Nick x-rayed next week, just to be sure.

I'm worried about my little brown dog!

A heapin' load o' mojo from me!

It sounds, I hope, like your typical sports injury - a bruise that didn't stiffen up until he'd had a chance to cool down a bit. If so, the usual sports injury treatments may give him some relief until you can get to the vet.

It's also possible that Nick was suffering from heat exhaustion. Wobbliness in the rear is a typical sign of a dog who has gotten overheated, even if it was after coming out of the tank. It would make sense if you worked him long and hard in temps he wasn't used to. Normally, though, once they've cooled down and the wobbliness is gone, then you wouldn't see residual lameness. He could also have bruised something when he hit the fence. I wouldn't consider it an emergency now, but I think it's worth having him looked at by a vet when you can get to one, and I'd certainly not work him till he'd been checked.

Here's hoping it's nothing serious....

J.

I sounds like Nick may been over-heated. You have described what you may see in this situation. Because Nick was in the tank to cool does not mean that he could go right back out. He may have reached the point of over-heating before getting in the tank and did not cool much before going back out. This may be somewhat complicated as he may have also taken an injury. If you see signs that he is becoming too hot stop your work session and cool him down and do not go back to work until he has completely recovered. It can take quite some time for them too cool and get their coordination completely back again. See your vet and explain that he may have over-heated. This could be much worse than his injury. This situation can have lasting effects with other problems. It is sometimes the case when a dog becomes over-heated it will happen again more easily. Give him and good break and lots of breaks when he is working.

This morning, Nick is much better, although he's still favoring one leg. He's definitely on rest until I can get him to the vet. Poor dog- sitting still is not his favourite activity!

I think heat did play a part in this. It's been a cool spring, and then suddenly it got hotter. Nick hasn't had his summer shave yet, either. It doesn't normally get very hot here- extended temps in the 80's are a rarity- but I'll be watching more closely for signs of heat exhaustion and taking breaks more often.

It's a cool, grey day here today, and I have tons of greenhouse work to do, so the dogs can take it easy. It won't hurt the lambs to have another week or so before they get weaned.

Thanks for the thoughts & advice! I'll update again atfer we see the vet,

I live in south WA and when River was under a year old we had like a 5 min frisbee session in the summer's cooling early evening (it was still hot) - and literally after 10 throws, she wobbled and lay down, tried to get back up and fell again. I of course freaked out, thought my pup was not medically sound, etc. I came to the boards here seeking advice - and heat exhaustion was offered as above. Yes, indeed, that's exactly what it was.

Even now, at 2.5yrs just this past week, we had a frisbee session - again in early eve - cool wind by that time but when we finished River was laying in the sun, I suggested she move to the shade spot and as she did, she wobbled and layed down again. To which I carried her to the kiddie pool :rolleyes: Those were the only 2 incidents she's had.

River also was limping one night about a year ago - by the morning she was fine, I think it was a cramp, based on the tightness when she carried her hind leg. Always good to see a vet - hopefully it's nothing serious.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite the fact that he was acting normal, Nick showed some pain in his right hip when the vet did a flexion test. We did an x-ray- they didn't even have to sedate Nick :rolleyes: He just laid there and let them manipulate him. It helps that he LOVES the vet tech more than he loves me... She threatens to keep him every time I take him in.

The x-ray was totally normal. Hips look great, knees look great. The vet figures Nick just badly bruised his leg and hip. He is on reduced activity and no working sheep for a week.

It was a nice relief to know that nothing major is going on :D

...The x-ray was totally normal. Hips look great, knees look great. The vet figures Nick just badly bruised his leg and hip. He is on reduced activity and no working sheep for a week.

It was a nice relief to know that nothing major is going on :rolleyes:

Oh hurrah! That is very good news. Atta boy, Nick!