BC Boards

Calgary Stampede

airbear

I've been in the past, and really enjoyed it. But fuel is too pricey right now for that kind of trip (course, if ya win...)

A

Ironically, my friends and I are using our Climate Action Dividend cheques to cover the cost of gas. Hey, we're carpooling, so it kind of fits. :D

Friends who have competed in past years have told me how much fun it is, so this year, we're taking the plunge. Just hope I don't miss my run because I am off stalking the bull riders! :rolleyes:

Ironically, my friends and I are using our Climate Action Dividend cheques to cover the cost of gas. Hey, we're carpooling, so it kind of fits. :D

Friends who have competed in past years have told me how much fun it is, so this year, we're taking the plunge. Just hope I don't miss my run because I am off stalking the bull riders! :rolleyes:

You'll actually have better luck finding the cowboys at Ranchman's. :D Check out the Bullbustin' event there if you have time.

I had to look at this post 'cause it said "Calgary Stampede". I go and watch the stockdogs every year and LOVE every second of it! I hope you enjoy it and do well! Perhaps I will actually have someone to cheer for this year!

Hi Louanne!

Rose and her dog, Jana, and Nancy and her dog, Seeker, and of course, Big Head and I, are all descending on Cowtown, er, sometime tomorrow night. On Saturday, we will hit the local dog park scene (thanks to Ms. Daisy Duke for the recommendations!) and then my bull-rider hunting will begin in earnest

LOL about the snow, it IS Calgary, after all. I've been there enough to know not to take anything for granted. :rolleyes:

Louanne, don't know if you're coming home on Sunday or staying through to Monday...

Would love to know how today went and who is going into the finals Monday ... Anyone know if the results are posted somewhere? (And for anyone that was there ... a full report, complete with photos would be great! LOL)

Jodi

Louanne, don't know if you're coming home on Sunday or staying through to Monday...

Would love to know how today went and who is going into the finals Monday ... Anyone know if the results are posted somewhere? (And for anyone that was there ... a full report, complete with photos would be great! LOL)

Jodi

I just checked the Alberta Stockdog Assoc. web site and they don't have and results posted. I don't think that they will until it's done. Hopefully someone that was competing will post when they can. I watched the morning run and the sheep were DIFFICULT. There were only 2 qulifying times and about 5 dogs disqualified for gripping. There were several times when an ewe went after a dog. Hopefully the afternoon and evening runs went better....

Dale Montgomery won with Tex, Brian Douthwaite and San were second. I think Lee Lumb and Chica were 3rd.

Brian had two dogs in the final go, his wife had one, Bob Stephens was in the finals, Randy Dye made it in with one, Diana Gauthier made it in with her Teag (last year's champion), Ed Hunter was in with a fabulous teeny-tiny little slickie named Speed (I think), and, um there was a fellow from Nova Scotia named Leroy, and his good dog, Hirk. Carol Nelson and Pam Boring got in with their dogs too. Is that 15? Hmm. Milton Scott and Moss had the run to beat until they got to the pen. There was someone else. Can't remember. Oh. George Stambulic and Kate. There. Those are your 15 finalists.

The sheep were fabulous. Big wooly sheep, Columbia crosses, from a commercial flock. They were very light, very tough, and if your dog was wrong, you paid for it. Great crowd, great announcer ... just a great time altogether!

Wow Kristi you beat me to the reply.

I to had a great time

it was my first time running a dog there and boy did it show.

I made some rookie mistakes and like Kristi said the sheep made you pay.

Isla and I had the fast chute time in round one and then I lost my brain at the pen and she gripped off.

Krisiti did well for her first time with tough sheep.

I hope you will come back. I know I will hopefully with two dogs next year.

Louanne

Laura et all who are liking the whole bull rider thing...

We had a real honest to God bull riding event at our fair last year. I got a spot early (as in hours)- not in the stands but adjacent to the chutes and holding pens. Got to see how they prepare for all this stuff. Then, I got to see some nice cowboy jeans...

Then I got thinking... hmmm, I see why women go to these things. There was one guy- named Brandon someone- even had all his teeth and everyhing :rolleyes:. They really have their best duds on. We have it again this year....

I just pulled the 2008 stockdog finals standings from the Stampede site. It was Dale Montgomery and Tex with a time of 2.28. Brain Douthwaite, Lee Lumb and Diana Gauthier were the only folks to run under 4 minutes.

I just pulled the 2008 stockdog finals standings from the Stampede site. It was Dale Montgomery and Tex with a time of 2.28. Brain Douthwaite, Lee Lumb and Diana Gauthier were the only folks to run under 4 minutes.

How in the world do you find anything on that site? I still can't find the results

Cynthia