BC Boards

Jumping up on sliding glass door

I have glass doors through most of my house. Though I enjoy the light and the view of the pond out back, Jedi enjoys being able to spot a squirrel, bird, or the occasional turtle in the yard. :rolleyes: This immediately turns into a jumping fest at the door trying to get out and get at said unsuspecting animal. This happens alot. What I've tried so far has not stopped the behavior. Ahht! Sit. Ahht! lie down.. Ahht! Go to crate.. Now he just automatically puts himself in his crate AFTER he jumps up. Though it's not the behavior I wanted...I was secretly impressed. :D So if anyone has any suggestions for me I'd appreciate it.

Georgia

I'm thinking Jedi is at least 4 months old? If so, you can teach him a solid down stay, away from the glass door. When that is good, let him go to the door, ask him for a down, the instant he even starts to think about getting up, remind him. Give him maybe 1 or 2 reminders, but fairly early on, when he starts to get up, remove him from the door.

He's earning the privilege of laying in the door and watching the world by his calm behavior - laying down. This will take some vigilance on your part for a while, but he'll figure it out.

Ruth n the BC3

I'm thinking Jedi is at least 4 months old? If so, you can teach him a solid down stay, away from the glass door. When that is good, let him go to the door, ask him for a down, the instant he even starts to think about getting up, remind him. Give him maybe 1 or 2 reminders, but fairly early on, when he starts to get up, remove him from the door.

He's earning the privilege of laying in the door and watching the world by his calm behavior - laying down. This will take some vigilance on your part for a while, but he'll figure it out.

Ruth n the BC3

Hi Ruth,

I'm going to try this today but I have a couple of questions. On the by the door down, how long should I expect him to stay at a down? Jedi is 11mo. so he does know down stay. So I don't allow him to be looking out the slider unless he's laying down? Is that right?

Thanks,

Georgia

I have a collapsed cardboard box in front of my screen. It's just tall enough that Daisy can see over it if she's standing right there, but also she can't see who's walking in front of the house if she's laying down. We are working on her reactions to passers by (mostly dogs) by, no reaction, click and treat. Reaction, I walk away. We are also getting her a good "wait" command so that if she's on the run, so to speak, I say wait, she will stop dead in her tracks usually. (Sitll a WIP) and then call her to me for a sit. It seems to be working as she pretty much just needs something else to distract her. It's probly not the best method, but it works for us while we can work on other things...

julie

Ditto with the obstacle idea. Lewie has thrown himself on the screened door so hard I though he ripped the screen. He didn't though; good thing for him. I'd be mighty peeved if he had. :rolleyes:

The simplest and quickest solution for me was to place a table in front of the door. It's the largest of a set of stacking tables I keep in the living room. He can't jump on the door but it's tall enough he can rest his chin on it to watch the squirrels.

I think it takes a lot of the fun out of it for him when he can't explode against the door to scare the squirrels. :D

I'm a mean mom!

Great suggestions about blocking the door. I'd go with a combo approach - block off the door when you're not working, so he can't practice jumping/barking, AND work a few times a day on down at the door.

Start with a brief down, just llike you would start out with anything else that you want duration on. Gradually increase. Be prepared for break through barking, though, when some highly unusual or extraordinarily stimulating thing runs past, like, you know, a monster who just might eat you all if Jedi doesn't warn you in time. Then it might be time to work on the "Thank you for alerting me, now you can go back to relaxing."

Ruth n the BC

Jedi is a total and complete brilliant stinker.. :rolleyes:

I've been paying more attention to the door thing today so I can do the training, and have discovered that he doesn't do it just when he sees something...he also does it to get my attention. He just went through a series of nudging me, bringing me a toy, licking my hand, all which I ignored...then he went straight to the door and jumped on it. Grrrrr....

So I'm going upstairs right not to get a card table that I have to put in front of the door so that he doesn't get to practice this behavior when I'm not there. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

On one hand it is nice to know that I am not alone out there with creative BC behavior problems. On the other hand I feel somewhat proud that the breed of dog we have all chosen as a companion or work mate is so thinking and creative. I am very pleased to have trained dogs that are past all of the puppy crazies and conduct themselves in a acceptable fashion. I must admit however that I do get a kick out of our youngest dog and his version of the puppy crazies. It seems to me that he presents a new reason and challenge to train every day. Our puppy is just starting to take no for an answer and a correction command. I am almost not looking forward to the day when he switches to adult mode. We stopped the running to the window every time a leaf dropped behavior with his correction command, his lie down and his stay. If he behaved at the window we would just leave him there. If he did not we would shut the curtains. Perhaps this is somewhat more simple than you problem but it worked for us.

Jedi is a total and complete brilliant stinker.. :rolleyes:

I've been paying more attention to the door thing today so I can do the training, and have discovered that he doesn't do it just when he sees something...he also does it to get my attention. He just went through a series of nudging me, bringing me a toy, licking my hand, all which I ignored...then he went straight to the door and jumped on it. Grrrrr....

So I'm going upstairs right not to get a card table that I have to put in front of the door so that he doesn't get to practice this behavior when I'm not there. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes.

Aaahhh, yes. They out smart us whenever they can. I was working on a similar method with the T.V., seems the telus, ceasar's, animal planet commercials and any friends episode with marcel the monkey piss Daisy off somehting fierce, so we were doing the click and treat for no reaction. Well the silly bugger would just start going up to the t.v and sitting, then looking at me for a treat. Needless to say, we ignor her now and she still doesn't react to the commercials.

Blocking access is good as a management tool.

For training an incompatible behavior, how about training Jedi to lie on a mat by the door if he wants to watch what's going on outside? This would be similar to teaching a car-chasing dog to sit when a car goes past. They can still watch, but have to exercise self-control to earn that privilege.

Blocking access is not a good long term solution for this particular door. It is the main door to the back yard and we go in and out of it a hundred times a day. I could also try blocking the view totally with my (rather expensive) vertical blinds. I haven't done this before because I didn't want to risk him jumping on them and ruining them. The mat is a good idea because if gives him a "place" to go to. I'll add that to my lie down command.

Thanks guys! :rolleyes:

I would definately go with the mat and lie down! Using the expensive blinds is a bad idea. they just stick their heads in between anyway, so you're risking broken blinds. I know, I have some...good thing i rent and they are old 1970's gold plated insanity so they are going to need replacing eventually anyway!