BC Boards

Walkers Beware! (You think it'll never happen...)

I just came from the popular local park where lots of people run, walk, bike, and exercise dogs. A man had just been hit and killed by lightning!

I generally don't walk in summer rainstorms because I'm afraid Buddy will panic and get out of his collar and get lost. But I sure as heck won't take any chances now.

Yeesh.

Mary

Amazing, and they didn't ban the lightening or demand that it be spayed or neutered?

Couldn't resist...sorry...scary thing to hear about!

I just came from the popular local park where lots of people run, walk, bike, and exercise dogs. A man had just been hit and killed by lightning!

I generally don't walk in summer rainstorms because I'm afraid Buddy will panic and get out of his collar and get lost. But I sure as heck won't take any chances now.

Yeesh.

Mary

Just before I moved, deaths occurred at two places in/near San Francisco that I liked to take the dogs, in a single week: a tree fell on a dog walker at Stern Grove as she was finishing loading up her Outback (the dogs were OK), and a hiker fell off the cliff trail above Rodeo Beach in Marin. Scary. I guess it just goes to show you never know.

Living in major lightningville here in sunny Florida. Because lightning strikes here are not unusual, most people do their best to get in out of upcoming storms. Though you do hear about the occasional die hard golfer. I've come close a few times myself. Sometimes they come out of a clear sky.

About a month ago I was walking with River and a branch of a tree (a HUGE branch though) fell RIGHT in front of me. It was inches from seriously injuring/possibly killing me (because it was a large branch falling from a very tall tree). That was kind of scary.

That is scary! Everytime I'm outside and a storm is coming I try to go inside. I haven't ever been hit by lightning, and don't plan to either.

I read a news article several days ago that said this is becoming more common. My oldest dog is afraid of thunder and lightning. He does not like to be outside and prefers to head for home. I have tried to help him work this out thinking it may be a problem. Perhaps he knows something I don't know.

With thunder-phobic dogs, I have found that they are pretty good judges of weather. Whisper is not so terrified of thunder that she becomes unhinged, but she does not like it. If the conditions are right for a storm, she gets uneasy. She's not always right that there's going to be a strom, but she always right when the conditions are right for the potential for a storm. We don't go walking then (as if I could get her to leave the house at that point).