BC Boards

Second Dog II?

Originally posted by Jo&Tex:

You found a blind boarder that looks like Madison....Where? In Ontario, I hope.

Point me to this Bdog please.

Uh, you can find her on petfinder, I think she's at Kanine 911 in ottawa She's soooo cute!!!

Nes.

Don't know if Cocker Spaniels are still on the list, but from what I hear there are some health and temperament issues with the breed. At my club, one of the members has a great guy, very sweet and seems healthy, other than being overweight. Another member has 3 cockers, but she tends to keep them away from other dogs and people so I can't comment on the temperaments. I do know that she has had to have cataract surgery on all three, at quite a pretty penny. One of them had just turned a year and became blind. He's doing ok now after the surgery.

Shelties are sweet, very sensitive, very vocal, cooperative, active, agile, smart little dogs. Shyness is a real issue with the breed. They can be quirky but so can BC's. I used to say they were my favorite breed (they're certainly the easiest breed for my personality) but now that I have Quinn, BC's may just have edged them out. Regardless of who is #1, I think both are wonderful.

how vocal is very vocal?

I don't mind a dog that barks at strangers, but I don't want a dog that is tottaly nuts and goes off the handle at the littlest noise (remeber I'm living half the time with a beagleX - that bad?)

Shyness shouldn't be too much of a problem I've dealt with that before in lots of animals

Nes.

Originally posted by nes:

how vocal is very vocal?

I don't mind a dog that barks at strangers, but I don't want a dog that is tottaly nuts and goes off the handle at the littlest noise

They enjoy barking. They're barkaholics. They bark recreationally. When I had two, they engaged in a Wall of Sound approach to barking and also split up the chore of barking. One was the designated Outdoor Barker. The other barked indoors (much more popular with my neighbors). He'd bark every time I changed activities -- standing up, saying good-bye on the phone, turning off the computer, or even just disconnecting from the internet.

That said, they can be trained to be fairly quiet. The Indoor Barker was my first sheltie and absolutely adored. I wouldn't tolerate that in another dog. The Outside Barker has become the quietest of my current three. But that involved training and continued outside supervision.

And I'm sure it varies. There must be a sheltie or two out there who doesn't feel a compelling need to bark at the grass growing or his owner changing positions on the sofa :rolleyes:

An additional option you might consider is visiting a local "no-kill" shelter. I would not go there with any preconceived notions about breeds; when you find the right dog, you and the dog will both know it. And by taking a dog from such a shelter, you create an opening that can be filled with another dog that might find itself in a less humane shelter.

But then again, that is only my opinion...

As far as a second dog, well, I don't remember the last time we did not have two in the house for any extended period.

Cocker Spaniels from my experience are loyal as can be. Fairly smart. Just want to be with you don't really care about the other dog. Mine did not play with our second dog. He was very healthy but developed a huge fatty tumor on his neck. I had removed once and it grew back. Died at the age of 9 from a brian tumor. My sister has one and it is constantly at the vet. Difficult to house break, hunt birds, squirrel, raccoons. They are very territorial, barkers, and tend to bite. Every cocker I ever knew became a biter when they got older. They get cranky.

Corgie - I have a friend who has one. I have spent time with it since it was a pup. A real charmer. Low activity. Loves to go for walks. Not really a ball player. Great with kids. Very low key. Not as barky as the cocker.

Toni

Urg, I think that's a VITO on the sheltie Madison has been taught not to bark at other dogs, only to growl or very quietly bark at the door late at night so I know it can be done, but my SO chose his last dog because it barked like MAD! So I don't trust him on that one :rolleyes:

Right now we're having a bit of a tug-of-war between getting another active dog (which is what I want) and getting a small lap puppy (which is what he wants). Either I'm going to have to find something in between, or get two different dogs! !

I don't really want to get an inbetween dog, when I get a lap dog I want a tibetan spaniel or a king charles or something that really is ment to be a lap companion instead of a crazy dog that just likes to sit in your lap (like MADI!!! :D )

Thanks again for all the suggestions guys, your help & experience really means alot to us!

Nes.