BC Boards

Dazzle's Tricks

Here's a stupid question, how did you think of command words for all those tricks? Or does she rely on some hand motions (like the slaloming through the legs, versus the backwards version of it) She's so bright for remembering all those words!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how did you think of command words for all those tricks?

It's NOT a stupid question! Thinking up new words to use is not easy. :rolleyes: Every command we have has a verbal, and most have hand signals. I have more trouble thinking of hand signals than I do thinking of words. What we are actually working on now is learning American Sign Language for hand signals (so the signal for "limp" is the ASL hand motions for "limp"). I thought that would be neat.

Most of my commands are really obvious (like "roll over", "kiss", and "back up"). But now that she knows so many I am starting to get more creative. "Go Around" means to run around me, and "Reverse" means to do it backwards. As a better example of how desperate I am getting, the command for her to weave between my legs is "Figure Eight" and to do it backwards I say it backwards, so it comes out kind of like "Tierugif". :D:D

• 4 weeks later...

I got JUST the trick for Dazzle. Along the lines of being a comedienne (Charlie Chaplin/ Buster Keaton style). As Dazzle is putting away the toys (s)he 'accidentally' tips over the basket with half the toys. Maybe continues on bumbling along trying to get the toys put away and constantly tipping the basket back over. Watch some old silent B&W movies, re-enact the damsel in distress or something ...