BC Boards

Pet Boarding - advice needed

Okay, hubby and I are going away in July to visit my parents. I'm going away for 2 weeks or possibly a little more, hubby's going for one week. During that 1 week we're away, the dogs will need someone to take care of them.

My original plan was to find a petsitter. I'm still looking. I called the person that was recommended to me by the lady I work with (at the cat shelter), but apparently we're too far away and she can't fit dogs into her schedule. I have at least one more to call, recommended from the same person.

The other option is a boarding kennel. Zeeke's been there before, he LOVES it there. They have a large fenced yard where he gets to play with other dogs, so he gets tons of exercise. It's a large, private pen he's in the rest of the time. When I asked last time they said we could put our two dogs together if we wanted to, so Zeeke and Zoe could be in the same pen.

Either way Zoe WILL be with Zeeke, so that will help tremendously. If we do the pet sitter route they'll probably come over about 3 times a day to feed them, play with them. We don't have a fenced yard, so exercise would be an issue - I wouldn't want anyone letting Zoe off leash without me here or anything, so it would be on leash only. Plus the rest of the time they'd have to be confined to their crates, because they're not trustworthy in the house yet. Add to that, hubby's worried that Zeeke - german shepherd - will NOT like a stranger coming in the house without us here, he might possibly even get aggressive, even if he met the person before. We don't know.

On the other hand, if we do a boarding kennel, it'll be noisy with dogs and people, and Zoe is very painfully shy. Being with Zeeke will help, but still. On the positive side, they'll be able to run around and get exericse together (she's better with dogs than with people, so with Zeeke beside her I think she would enjoy it, it's just the people part she'd be upset about), and they'd have a large pen they'd stay in together during the day (instead of in small, seperate crates).

Any advice or general direction you can give me would be helpful. I'm starting to freak out here. I'm thinking of calling the kennel and booking them both for a half-day (I think they do that) or one day, just to see how Zoe does - if she does horribly I can run over and get her.

Panic panic. I wish I could bring her with me! But I think that would be the hardest option on her yet...

I think you should book them for a day and see how it goes. It sounds like you already know that Zeeke will love it, and now you can find out how Zoe does. If she does OK, then maybe you should do another day closer to time so that she's familiar with the place when they go for a week.

*Note: this advice given from someone who has been googling pet-friendly hotels for the last 30 minutes to stay for a wedding next month..

I think your idea of a short stay trial is a great one, Natalie. I'd probably see how the kennel folks respond when you call them, and if they seem understanding, you may even be able to make a couple visits where you don't actually leave Zoe, before trying the trial visit.

I used to kennel my previous dogs once a year (with friends who run boarding kennels), but I've only kenneled the current pair once. They were both fine when I picked them up, but Kirra, who hates other dogs barking, had spent most of her time under the sleeping bench! So I don't think it was a very happy experience for her - but I wouldn't have known that if my friends hadn't told me . She was to all intents and purposes fine when I picked her up - and she'd been eating, so she couldn't have been too stressed.

A friend kenneled her dogs with these folks - including one terier mix who seriously didn't like people she didn't know. She did fine - and the day after my friend picked the dogs up, they met the kennel people at dog club, and the little dog ran straight up to the kennel lady for a pat - something she'd never have done before.

Wow - this sounds familiar to me... We had to leave Wesley for the first time for 9 days in March. He isn't shy - but has aggression issues (he does not let people, even those he has met, in the house when we are not here and is likely to snap in a whole vareity of situations involving people).

We got really lucky - we actually found a FANTASTIC solution for us... We found a private trainer who does at home boarding, mostly for dogs with some issues (those who can't really be kenneled or left with friends or family). He came to our house to work with me and Wes a few times before we went away and it was really amazing to watch Wesley - who was really in the middle of his obnoxious adolescence as well as being generally of not the soundest temperment, interact with this guy. He came in, leashed Wes and Wesley literally was a different dog. He was calm, he was attentive, he looked to the guy for direction... The trainer sat with me, and Wesley layed at his feet and fell asleep. He picked up Wesley's feet, he tested for reactivity to movement - nothing (this is the dog that if most people look at him "the wrong way" will snap). It was truly a miracle for us. He continues to work with us regularly and we try to get Wesley to his house once a month for a few days for the training and socialization (he has several dogs of his own and boarded dogs stay with him, at home, with his family (wife and 2 kids).

Now - obviously, what Wesley needs is very different from what a shy dog needs - but I have full confidence that a trainer with the experience he has, works each dog in a way that benefits that dog best... Is there anyone in your area who works with dogs with issues that might be able to board/does board as well?? I called all the private training facilities in the area before I found this guy. He is actually less expensive than a lot of the other options that offer a less experienced handler/pet-sitter. If he moves away - I think I might go with him!!

I don't know. We have an excellent trainer, but I really don't think she does boarding. I COULD ask her for suggestions, though - that might be a good idea. I know what you mean about dogs behaving totally diffrent with a good trainer. Zeeke does that. It's rather annoying. :rolleyes:

It's even harder that our two dogs have very different needs/problems. A pet-sitter is probably the better option for Zoe, but not Zeeke - and vice versa. I think I'm going to call the boarding facility tomorrow and set up a trial run for them. It'll be interesting to see how she reacts. I'm just totally worried that I'll come home and find her set back months in her training and socialization. I suppose the opposite could happen.... maybe....

Dangit, why do my parents live so far away?! (Ignore the fact that I moved here... )

I would definitely find a place that does daycare/boarding and do a trial run. If it works out (don't expect miracles the first time) take them there one day a week up until you have to board them. That way they become more comfortable each time and won't be as frazzled when you leave them for a week. That is what I did with Dublin when I first got him. I started daycaring him when he was 12 weeks old, a few times a week - both to get him over his fear of dogs and to get him used to being boarded. (Both worked beautifully, btw). When I had to leave him for a few weeks when he was 4 months old, he barely even noticed I was gone... sad for me, but good for him. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice, Kerry! I was thinking about that. Normally money is an issue, boarding isn't cheap, but in this case I'll do anything to make sure Zoe is not freaked out during our trip. We have over a month before we leave (had to change the date) so we have time.

On the good side, Zeeke will LOVE going to daycare and playing with the other dogs. I'm counting on his presence to help Zoe through it... she really gets a lot of confidence from him

Yup, this sounds very familiar. We did the "Doggie Day Care" route about a month ago. I recommend that you definitely take Zoe there, with Zeeke, for about a half day. Then you go pick them up. If you are able, also try a full day, then pick them up. That way, Zoe will not equate being taken there with being abandoned and she won't freak out when you leave her there for a little longer period. It might be a little hard on her at first.

Allie wasn't all that fond of being left and tried to push my hubby back in the door when he was leaving (really made him feel great :rolleyes: )and she was watching at the fence when we came to pick her up. The folks at City Pet Club (where we boarded her) said she did just fine and made some friends and played while she was there.

I do prefer to have house/pet sitters, but that isn't always practical. Give it a try and see how she does.

Good luck!

Yeah, it isn't cheap but it is a good investment. Think of it like a training class. Hopefully it will work and there is nothing like knowing you have a safe and fun place to leave your dogs when you have to travel. A good boarding facility is worth their weight in gold!

I would recommend mine as they are really great with the dogs, but Albany might be a bit of a drive for you!

Hehe, well for Zoe I'd drive to Albany. Hubby might disagree though. We actually really liked the place we took Zeeke to before. We're just unsure if they have new owners or not - could be an issue.

Natalie, I think the boarding would be the best bet also. And going a few times before you actually have to leave is an excellent idea.

However, I really think Zeeke will be fine by hisself and you should let Zoe come down here! You could pick her up any time, say in the next 15yrs or so! :rolleyes: