BC Boards

warning about lead in pet toys

My local pet supply chain has recalled several items due to lead. This is of their own initiative, not due to injury report, but I thought people here might like to be aware of it:

From

http://www.petfoodexpress.com/petfood/defa...p;Section=About

Pet Food Express strives to provide you with the safest products on the market. To take our efforts to a new level, we recently started screening the toys we sell for lead. We now test products before they reach our shelves and randomly throughout the year. Since there are currently no standards for pet toys, we are applying the Consumer Products Safety Commision standards for children.

4/11/08 - Lead Recall

Tuffies Pet Toys

Click here for a list of Tuffie's Pet Toys.

In our recent tests of the Tuffies Pet Toy products, we found an unacceptably high level of lead. Our result has been confirmed by a national laboratory. Although we have neither received nor heard any reports of injury associated with Tuffies toys, we do not want to allow even a small risk and have decided to recall their products.

The government did not order this recall nor is the manufacturer sponsoring it-- this recall is at the sole discretion of Pet Food Express.

The manufacturer has done their own tests and maintains that their toys pose no risk to pets or children. They also remind consumers that all of the toys state on their label that this toy is for interactive play and should not be ingested.

For test results, click here.

For Solubility test results click here.

4/11/08 - Lead Recall

Crazy Dog Spin Meister

Click here for the picture of the Crazy Dog Spin Meister

In our tests, we found an unacceptably high total level of lead in the Cardinal Spin Meister. This is an interactive retrieval toy designed for the dog to pick up in its mouth. It is also a fairly easy material to tear apart and potentially ingest. We have not done solubility tests on this item but the total lead level is high enough to give us serious concern. Although we have neither received nor heard any reports of injury associated with them, we do not want to allow even a small risk.

Pet Food Express will take back any Cardinal Spin Meister purchased from PFE for a refund (with receipt) or exchange (without a receipt.) The government did not order this recall nor is the manufacturer sponsoring it-- this recall is at the sole discretion of Pet Food Express.

For test results, click here.

Sluj, That's a great thing to post. I was actually going to buy one of those for Daisy cause she's a notorious for killing all things stuffed, but now i'm glad I didn't. Just incase! I figure if people are causing a fuss about what their kids toys have in them, they should too about their pets. In my eyes, there is no difference, my dog is my "kid"!!

j

I think so. I got one a while back but luckly Black Jack hasn't played with it much. Actually I haven't seen it for a week or so. But if I do find it I will throw it out. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the info. I don't believe I have any of those either but I'm constantly buying new toys and it's good to know which ones to stay away from. And I agree with the statement that our dog is also our kid