BC Boards

Heart Murmur

Maralynn

During Missy's annual check up this week, my vet found that Miss has a heart murmur. She said it was a level 3. She had never detected one before. So she told me to come back in a month to re-check then, depending on what she found, scheldule an ultra-sound.

I had noticed that Missy has been tiring a little easier and breathing a bit harder, but had chalked that up to the fact that she is getting older (just turned 9). But the past couple days I've been paying attention to Missy's respiratory rate, and it is signifficantly faster than Kipp's when resting - 28 +/min vs. 12/min. My vet also noticed that she was breathing faster during her check up, but said it might be related to the stress of an office visit.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and ask about schelduling an ultra-sound now instead of waiting?

Between the murmur and the increased respiratory rate, chances are there is something else going on. And I would rather deal with it sooner than later if there is something that can be done.

Any advice or opinions from anyone who has dealt with this?

Sigh. My girl isn't supposed to get old :rolleyes:

Darn it! Sorry to hear about this. :rolleyes:

I don't have any clear guidance or advice, just some thoughts...

I had a dog with a heart murmur his entire life. It got worse when he was old but it really never presented a problem for him and he never needed meds for it. It's hard to know if Missy's tiring more easily is due to age or another issue, so I know what you mean about wanting to address it sooner rather than later. The increased respiration would bother me so I might want to go sooner too, really.

If you are going to MSU, you can get in pretty quick. There is a good practice in Kzoo that has an ultrasound which would be my choice (I've decided I hate MSU -- but lots of people love them and they are experts). It would probably take a bit longer to get in with a smaller clinic like that. At least it took about a month to get in when one of my dogs needed an ultrasound a few years back. There's a good clinic by South Bend too.

I have a friend whose dog was recently diagnosed with a significant murmur. The dog is on medications and doing pretty well. She'd do even better if she'd lose some weight, but that's another story.

Please keep us updated!

The clinic that my vet usually refers people to is a small one near Grand Rapids. I was there with a cat a few years ago and was favorably impressed.

What is clinic by South Bend? I'm spending a decent amount of time in Dowagiac these days and SB is alot closer than GR!

The respiratory rate is probably what bothers me the most right now. The murmur by itself may not mean anything, but the two combined starts to point toward something.

Magrane's -- they're in Mishiwaka, right off of Main Street. I highly, highly recommend Dr. Doversberger. He is amazing, sharp and super nice. They are very traditional in their approach there though. They've been fantastic a couple of times for my Sheltie but I had to do a complete break with them and go a holistic route for Quinn.

I also liked the people in Kzoo. MSU was very good my first visit but on my second visit, with a different vet, I basically had a melt down. Not a good day at all.

The respiratory rate would bother me too, even without the murmur.

Does she check negative for heartworm? I would schedule an echo now- it can take months to get in. If you are like me, you are proactive, and want to treat vigorously.

During Missy's annual check up this week, my vet found that Miss has a heart murmur. She said it was a level 3. She had never detected one before. So she told me to come back in a month to re-check then, depending on what she found, scheldule an ultra-sound.

I had noticed that Missy has been tiring a little easier and breathing a bit harder, but had chalked that up to the fact that she is getting older (just turned 9). But the past couple days I've been paying attention to Missy's respiratory rate, and it is signifficantly faster than Kipp's when resting - 28 +/min vs. 12/min. My vet also noticed that she was breathing faster during her check up, but said it might be related to the stress of an office visit.

Now I'm starting to wonder if I should just go ahead and ask about schelduling an ultra-sound now instead of waiting?

Between the murmur and the increased respiratory rate, chances are there is something else going on. And I would rather deal with it sooner than later if there is something that can be done.

Any advice or opinions from anyone who has dealt with this?

Sigh. My girl isn't supposed to get old :rolleyes:

About 2 months ago, I took my 13 year old in for a regular check, and the vet found a murmur. She didn't assign it any number, but sent in bloodwork, and did a chest Xray. The Xray showed no fluid build up, yet, and so he is on two meds, Elanapril and Pimobendan, twice a day. She says these should slow the progression of the disease. Other than being 13, so slowing down some, I haven't noticed any shortness of breath or anything. Did you vet suggest any meds?

A

Thanks for the info, Liz. I'll be looking into it. Can you give me the name of the place in Kazoo as well?

No meds yet. The murmur is new and I hadn't really paid attention to her breathing before this. It was faster at the vets office, but my vet said it could have been from the stress of being in at the office. I imagine it might have been different if I had been noticing it at home before hand.

No HW either. Miss had her yearly check done during the the visit.

I think I've pretty much decided at this point to pay close attention to Missy for a week, and then give my vet a call, tell her what I'm noticing and ask for a re-check/referal to get the ultra sound done in the next couple of weeks.

Our 14 year old BC Blaze was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was just over 1. He also spent a week in intensive care at MSU because of an immune system problem and has been treated with pheno for seizures since he was 5 years old. The heart murmur seemed to be the least of his problems. Blaze earned his USDAA ADCH, AKC MX,MXJ andmany other agility titles in spite of his health problems.

Barb S

PS What vet in Grand Rapids?

Our 14 year old BC Blaze was diagnosed with a heart murmur when he was just over 1. He also spent a week in intensive care at MSU because of an immune system problem and has been treated with pheno for seizures since he was 5 years old. The heart murmur seemed to be the least of his problems. Blaze earned his USDAA ADCH, AKC MX,MXJ and many other agility titles in spite of his health problems.

Barb S

PS What vet in Grand Rapids?

I'm sure your vet is very good, but I would go to a cardiologist if possible. They see, examine, and treat heart problems daily & have so much more experience and knowledge. They have seen the affects of many of the drugs available & know all of the latest research.

I too had a BC with a heart murmur. She never went on meds, but did see the cardiologist upon initial diagnosis by my vet and was re-checked periodically. She had mitral valve disease and while the cardiologists initially felt she would need medication quickly, she never showed any symptoms. She continued working (I was cautious about how long she worked and the temp) & it never really affected her.

The initial exam with a cardiologist would probably include bloodwork, EKG & ultrasound. For long-term care, these baselines are important to get for comparison in the future.

Heart problems are frequently very treatable with medication. If your dog is in good condition otherwise, this may not be a bid deal for her.

gail

• 1 month later...

Missy had a cardiac ultrasound today. The vet found that her mitral valve has thickened to about 5mm, and that is what is causing the murmur.

The bad news is that it will probably lead to congestive heart failure down the road. But the good news is that right now the rest of her heart looks great. So for the time being we'll just be monitoring it. The vet recommended doing another ultrasound in 8 months to see if anything has changed.

From all the reading I've done about this in the past few weeks, this is one of the best diagnosis to get at this point. It was caught early on so we can monitor it. And now I'll be more aware of her activity especially over the summer to make sure she doesn't over do it - she could pass for a dog half her age when it comes to activity level.