BC Boards

I'm new here. Is there a way to stop the nipping?

Chuck is great and obedient dog. He's 2 and a half. My fiancee and I love him like he's our child(very spoiled child). We are avid mountainbikers and Chuck loves to run on the trails with us.

We started taking him with us on short rides when he was about a year old and he would nip at riders who were passing us. He slowly out grew that or so we thought. He hadn't nipped at anyone in the last year of riding so we thought he out grew it. Unfortunately this last weekend he nipped a passing rider and his bite broke the skin. We understand that he's been bred for herding, but is there anyway to stop the nipping? We love Chuck and he loves the trails. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Chuck is great and obedient dog. He's 2 and a half. My fiancee and I love him like he's our child(very spoiled child). We are avid mountainbikers and Chuck loves to run on the trails with us.

We started taking him with us on short rides when he was about a year old and he would nip at riders who were passing us. He slowly out grew that or so we thought. He hadn't nipped at anyone in the last year of riding so we thought he out grew it. Unfortunately this last weekend he nipped a passing rider and his bite broke the skin. We understand that he's been bred for herding, but is there anyway to stop the nipping? We love Chuck and he loves the trails. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Mudlover. Welcome to the Boards!

This seems to be a very common problem, that is, nipping, esp with moving objects, and has been discussed at length in previous threads. Try a search on "nipping" and there are a lot of suggestions that will, no doubt, be relevant to your situation.

What concerns, though, is that this last episode broke the skin. This is very serious and has led many border collies down the path to relinquishment (not that I'm suggesting this would be what you would do) and, in the worst case scenario, euthanasia. It is important that you work on this -- previous thread suggestions and others here now would/will give you suggestions -- even if it means curtailing these excursions until you can be sure that it doesn't happen again.

Read up and good luck,

Ailsa

Thanks for your response. It's not moving objects, just people on mountainbikes. I'm not trying to blow his behavior out of proportion, he's not a psycho dog by any means. People walking= not a glance, squirrel's= not a glance, nothing but people on bikes seems to get his attention.

Does he do this if YOU are not on a bike? IOW, if you were standing still and someone on a bike rode by, would he still try nipping them? If so, you will have an easier time breaking him. Maybe. Hopefully. With lots of good luck! LOL I would simply stand by the trail, and every time a bike rider approached, try to get his attention. Treat, if you are so inclined, or at least praise, if he lets rider go by. Correct if he does not. Now the only prob will be that it may be the fact he is already running, therefore in "chase" mode when he is running with you. Maybe not. But if he is successful at not doing anything while standing and then does it while you are riding. Stop, immediately, correct, and then go home walking and give him a piece of your mind all the way back! BTW, do you have him on lead when you are riding or is he loose? Until this is fixed, I sure wouldn't be letting him run free. As Pat mentioned there are particular devises meant just for attaching a dog to you while on the bike. I would certainly invest in one. Good luck, and welcome to the board!~

Welcome Mudlover! This is a great place with lots of good peoples and info and beeeuuteeful dawgs.

Not to hijack this thread, but has anybody ever used the bike attachment Pat mentioned? I've looked at those for years and would love to try it but I'm afraid I'd get pulled over by/run over the attached dog. I'm pretty klutzy. :rolleyes: