BC Boards

Noise sensitivity

Skye has always been a particularly sensitive dog -- ironic since she doesn't didn't (behaviour modification experiencing good success :rolleyes: ) seem to mind barking like a mad dog in others' faces. And will not think twice about seeking out other dogs' barking to see what's up.

But at home, if something falls on the floor or, lord help us, a door slams, she runs for cover. I always call her back to have her see that the world has not come to an end but the slightest unexpected noise (esp. mixed with movement) will make her jump.

When my friend Barb was caring for her while we were away, she had to contend with the dreaded CEILING FAN. Then it was the melting and shifting snow on the sunroom SKYLIGHT, and horror of horrors, the ejector in the DVD player sent her flyng up to the second floor. I think one false move by a sheep would send her running full speed in the opposite direction!

I just assumed this level of sensitivity was normal for the breed...am I wrong? Does anyone else's bc behave in a similar way?

Ailsa

(1) There are certainly other Border Collies out there with similar sensitivities.

(2) No, I do not think it is normal for the breed.

A friend of mine had a GSD/pit mix with similar issues, along with a slew of other anxiety issues.

Solo is noise phobic but household noises don't bother him, only loud explosive or percussion noises, like what I consider the Big Three: thunder, gunshots, and fireworks.

He doesn't like ceiling fans (or indeed, anything "strange" or moving on the ceiling) but does not have the same reaction to them as he does to noises. Ceiling fans make him duck and stare suspiciously; fireworks make him run for cover, freeze, and tremble so hard you can see his hair shaking from dozens of yards away.

No, that is not normal at all, though sadly common. Of the 12 Border Collies I have owned only 1 was terrified of loud noises. Several were/are very interested in loud noises and think fire trucks and police cars with the sirens blasting are the best.

I have heard the theory from some breeders that if you cross 2 dogs who are very aware of noises but not afraid of them you can potentially get pups that are afraid. I have no idea if this is true or not.

Yeah, Skye's level of anxiety goes through the roof with fireworks and thunder. To the point of trying to climb on your lap, panting and shaking. But, strangely enough, we have seen that she doesn't react *at all* to hot air balloons, even close up.

We have had her since about 6 1/2 - 7 weeks, so she hasn't been traumatized while with us, but we also don't know about her heritage. So you're right Liz, it could be genetic.

Ailsa

I have two noise sensitive Border Collies. One male and one female. The male is not so bad and I can usually distract him from his panic. If he is working sheep, he will look anxious, but will not stop working. Even with gunshots which seem to affect him the most. The female is far worse and gets completely panicked to the point of shaking and drooling. First time I noticed it with her was when she was 2 yrs and I was driving on a trip. I did not have her crated and she'd never had a problem riding in the car before, but she got completely uncontrollable. Even later with me holding her in the backseat she was totally panicked. She will ride ok in her crate though. I know it was either the noise or vibration of the car as she was ok till the car was turned on. Now she has a fear of my backyard. This is the first house I have lived in with her where I had no land or sheep. I think it is the trains that run around every hour or less about a mile away that scare her and my male. She has jumped the fence and run across the street before. This started about a couple months ago. I have to watch her outside now and let her in as soon as she has done her business otherwise she will panic and jump the fence. She's fine in the house. Both these dogs hate fireworks. My other two Border Collies have no problem with noises of any kind. One was completely oblivious of the crashing thunder and 1/2 inch hail a few weeks ago as he was playing in the yard. Interesting thing is the two noise sensitive ones are sibllings from different litters. Their sire was also noise sensitive.

Jackson is oblivious to any noise except coins shaking in a can(my fault, happened when he was young, and I was foolish). Nothing bothers him at all. Skip is fine with thunder, fireworks, guns, or anything outside. Inside the dog is a wreck with any loud noise, such as pans rattling. When I was in the little bathroom off the hall where I keep Holly penned, he went in with me, and one of the other dogs knocked the baby gate down(proped on the wall) and he literally flew into my lap, hitting his head on my cheek! Yes, it bruised! He some how managed to turn right after landing and stood shaking, glaring out the doorway at that baby gate. I almost fell off the pot! When I finished, I walked out and he had to walk past that gate but he did it. Won't go near the thing now! Holly is very thunder phobic, and some noise phobic. Cheyenne is thunder phobic, gun shot and fire works phobic. I don't understand it. My house has always been a "loud" house. Maybe cuz it's so quiet now, Skip is noticing the noises more!

I think one false move by a sheep would send her running full speed in the opposite direction!

You might be surprised. :D Violet is panicky about the Big Three - gunshots, fireworks and thunder - although she doesn't do anything really crazy. If she's inside, she'll crawl under the bed to hide and shake, but if she's outside she'll mow down anything in her path to get inside. :D

But y'know, we were working sheep the first Saturday of deer season, when it sounded like Sherman's army was coming through the woods around the farm, and she never even seemed to notice. :rolleyes:

Poke thinks anything tall (like a broom) leaning against a wall is frightening because once a broom fell and made a noise on the ground. He was very noise sensative to everything when we got him, if I made funny noises he would bark shrilly and jump towards my face. (it was a bluff lunge) I just continued to make as many funny noises around him as possible until he has finally come to the conclusions that they are harmeless & I am just weird. :rolleyes: He is also sensative to movement so we are working on that in the same way. He no longer bluff lunges at me, but he is still unsure of other people movement. I would suggest slowly trying to desensitize the dog by introducing things positively. IE... I made a funny noise and Poke got a treat. Now when I dance around or make funny noises he is right their with me having a good time.

My BC mix Baxter has had difficulties with noise phobias. He has always been very sensitive, however after he turned two years it exploded. The vacuum and lawnmower were his first arch enemies - would run hide in the bathroom. Then books falling on the floor, thunder, agility teeter noise, noise from indoor arenas at trials, and gunshots would cause panic sinking/flattening into the floor. He also has a whole series of items that cause him to stress up and bark/run around the house (very annoying) - the hair dryer, printer, garbage can lid, oven timer beeps, microwave beep, me brushing my teeth or using hair spray. Anyway, at one time I had a list of over 20 specific triggers that stressed him. I also noticed he had a lot of anticipatory stress where he would start stressing with movements leading up to the triggers that stressed him. At one point he started refusing to walk more than 100 yards from the house. He takes prozac and we have done a lot of behavior therapy. He is significantly better and much easier to live with now. And he seems to be enjoying life these days. So there is hope!

Mel, Bonnie, and the Baxter.