BC Boards

Liberty Update

I've got some pictures of Liberty which I'll try to upload tonight. I've got about 100 pictures from various things to download and I just keep putting it off! :D

It was quite an adventure picking her up - the trip turned out to be three hours longer than I thought originally (ie, ten hours instead of seven), then when I dropped her off at Karen's the next day I got majorly lost going home, turning a ten hour driving day into a fourteen hour driving day! Miss Liberty, if nothing else, has turned into a trooper of a traveler. :D

I just picked Liberty back up today from Karen so I can keep working with her while Karen recovers from surgery. The difference in this dog in just a little over a week is unbelievable. Before, Liberty wouldn't even look you in the eye - she was a total space cadet, just constantly looking for something to bark at/lunge at/snap at/chase/kill. If you crouched down and tried to make eye contact, she'd simply look around you, over you, under you, or through you. She pulled on the leash like she was mushing medicine to sick kids 100 miles away.

Karen tried her on goats with a muzzle on and while she did some interesting stuff, she was clearly spending most of her time looking for a chance to wreak havoc. She would dive under the stock in an avoidance move that clearly would end with a severely damaging slash or bite if she were not prevented by the muzzle.

Basically, Karen worked on establishing a relationship with Liberty - working towards little goals like getting her attention, leash walking, and teaching her boundaries. Liberty is very clever and has a 1001 tricks, but Karen has 1002 tricks up her sleeve! I don't know all the magic that was involved but I just couldn't believe the dog I went back and picked up today.

Today, Liberty walks nicely on the leash. She looks at you when you ask her to. She knows her name and responds to it. She can be worked on the goats with no muzzle and while she'll still nip a little, she responds to a correction (and she's showing good instincts, too, by the way).

Karen's daughter has also introduced her to the tennis ball and let's just say Liberty's a natural. :rolleyes:

She's still got a LONG way to go but this was the big step forward that made the difference between a dog that we can rehab, and a dog that had no future. We are relieved, to say the least.

I suspect some of it is that I think Liberty gets a big kick out of being encouraged to chase instead of it being a big issue! That's part of what's helping her come along so fast with Karen - Karen is redirecting her instincts and apparently it's not too late to reshape them. Thank goodness.

For the next step, while she's here, I'll introduce her to the clicker, and we'll also go for rides to Pet Supplies Plus, dog friendly hotels, and whatnot. She needs to be exposed to as much as possible right now, as if she were a puppy. In a few weeks, she'll have her notions about her new situation pretty solidified - right now we're experiencing something of a grace period while she gets her bearings.

In a couple of weeks, Liberty will go back to Karen and continue simply working on stock. I'll post another update then.

Thanks again! I'm going to post part of this on the BC Boards tonight, too - I have lots of people wondering how Liberty is doing.

Becca

Edit: Oops, I copied a good bit of this from a private e-mail obviously! I'm really tired . . .

Karen is doing great by the way. She had the surgery only yesterday and convinced (or maybe bullied would be a better word!) her doctors into letting her go today. She was walking around, messing with Jill's new puppies, and seemed reasonably comfortable.

Glad to hear Karen's feeling good enough to bully the doctors. But I suspect she bullied just so she could play with those little fuzz balls we call puppies.

Take it easy Karen, we don't want you having to make a return trip to the hospital or slowing up your healing. Get better soon!

Thanks for the update.