BC Boards

Kris L. Christine Introduction

As consumers you may or may not be aware of it but in veterinary medicine there has been a huge shift away from making any profit on drugs/vaccines/products and towards making the profit from the service and expertise provided.

I've noticed this, and I think this is exactly as it should be. Back when I worked for a vet (mid-1980s), they did make a good amount of money on vaccines--but that's clearly no longer the case. Heck, back then I was planning to go to veterinary school and specialize in equine medicine, and I don't know how many times I was told I'd never make any money at it. But in general that's not why folks go to vet school (as others have already said). I pay my vets a significant amount of money whenever I go in with a pet. But I know I'm paying for their expertise, and I am happy to have it and pay for it (after all, I expect to be paid well for my expertise in my chosen profession!). I have to say that what I've found at my new vet (since I moved) is that they are quite competitive on the types of meds, etc., that I could get over the Internet, and that being the case, I'd just as soon buy from them. They are willing to work with me to come up with lower-cost alternatives when necessary, and will allow me to make payments when surgery costs run high (and give me an estimate beforehand with high- and low-end numbers and a break down of exactly what costs what with respect to that procedure--that is, cost of the vet's time, anesthesia, etc.). Yes, veterinary care has gotten more expensive, but then *everything* has. And in my opinion a good vet whom I trust is worth his/her weight in gold. I used to drive nearly three hours to get to my holistic vet (she also did sports therapy) and would still gladly do so if I had a dog I thought needed her expertise.

I do think there's an overvaccination issue, but like others have said, if you as a consumer are informed, then you have only yourself to blame if you allow it to happen to your animals....

J.

I'm not sure how this thread became associated with the "vets just vaccinate for the cash" argument (I can't find someone who pushed that point of view) but my personal experience is that a vet with a fancy office and a lot of overhead is much more expensive and pushes a lot more procedures than an equally knowledgeable vet with a basic office and low overhead. I switched from a vet with an extremely well appointed office and a large staff to a vet with one employee and 1970's paneling on the walls because the tasteful color scheme just wasn't as important to me as being able to afford good health care for my animals.

I'm not sure how this thread became associated with the "vets just vaccinate for the cash" argument (I can't find someone who pushed that point of view) but my personal experience is that a vet with a fancy office and a lot of overhead is much more expensive and pushes a lot more procedures than an equally knowledgeable vet with a basic office and low overhead. I switched from a vet with an extremely well appointed office and a large staff to a vet with one employee and 1970's paneling on the walls because the tasteful color scheme just wasn't as important to me as being able to afford good health care for my animals.

Here is where the profit discussion began: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=17733

Yes, I think the "vets just vaccinate for the cash" was spillover from that other simultaneous thread on vaccination.

I think my vet is expensive, but he doesn't push a lot of vaccinations or procedures. He just charges a lot (IMO) for the necessary/beneficial services he provides. Everybody's gotta make a living. He's got a lot of overhead but not much decor. :rolleyes:

She is a genuine person with a real passion for this topic, but all the same the "hit and run" topic postings are a bit put-offish. I've seen this on two other boards I'm on, too.

I also wasn't sure I was temperamentally suited to be a vet. I figured about the fifth time I heard "If it costs more than $50 to cure it, just kill it," I'd probably need a lawyer. :D So I just decided to go ahead and be one. :D

funny, but not. I'm glad that I decided on human med instead of animal for similar reason. It's bad enough when humans in casual conversation state how they abuse and mistreat their pets - I could, had I felt like blowing confidentiality out of the water :rolleyes: - tell you stories that would curl your hair. And these were *casual* mentionings...not even things they you might suspect bragging or silly hyperbole. People are horrible to animals sometimes.

I would not want to be a vet in this area...