BC Boards

dental care

I have had my border collie mix for 3 months. She is probably 1 1/2 years old. I took her to the vet to get checked out when I first got her and they told me that she needed to have her teeth cleaned. they would need to put her under and do some kind of deep cleaning or she is going to have sever detnal problems and it will probably shorter her life. has any heard of this? I never cleaned my last dogs teeth and she lived a healthy 16 years. I dont want to put her under unneccesarily.

Dental cleanings are important because, just as with humans, the bacteria from infected gums can enter your dog's bloodstream and cause illness. One of my dog's teeth are great (the oldest dog - go figure!) but I was told at the last vet visit that Ginger needs her teeth cleaned. She is almost 4 years old. Willow's are cosmetically ugly (some tartar and discoloration) but her gumline is fine and I was told that an infected gumline is the important issue that can cause problems. Tartar and discoloration don't look nice, but unless the gumline is infected a cleaning isn't absolutely necessary. At least that was my understanding from our vet.

I have opted to wait on a cleaning to see if I can get her teeth a bit cleaned up on my own. I am using a product called ProDen Plaque Off that is a seaweed powder that gets sprinkled on their food once a day. It reacts with the saliva to prevent the layer of plaque from forming that would normally form and helps to loosen the existing plaque and tartar as well. I have been using it for a few months and it does seem to be working. Some large chunks of tartar/plaque have come off both Willow and Ginger and I am starting to be able to scrape it off with my nails in some areas. I have also been giving them lots of Nylabones, Sweet Potato Chews and other toys to chew on. My vet suggested rawhide to help, but I don't give my dogs rawhide.

I also try to brush their teeth everyday, but that usually doesn't happen.

I hope I can avoid a cleaning. It seems like a dog that is only 1.5 years old shouldn't have much of a dental problem, unless she didn't receive the proper nutrition and some things to chew on while growing.

Some dogs needs dental cleanings more often than others. Bones and the like can help - but it's kinda like eating apples or chewing Dentyne to clean your teeth instead of brushing. Anesthesia is a LOT better than it used to be - and little danger for an otherwise healthy dog. I'd advise getting the cleaning done - then start a regular brushing program. I have one dog, whose teeth aren't that great, but her last cleaning was 4 years ago, and according to my vet, she doesn't need them cleaned now. OK, OK, I do brush! :-)

diane

I worked as a vet tech for 3 years. A few, not all vets will encourage a cleaning to make money. Remember if he does not preform a service, he or she will not get paid. Clean teeth is VERY importiant, and necessary but remember there are other ways to help.