BC Boards

Tapeworm? (WARNING GRAPHIC PHOTO)

sweet_ceana

I have been wanting to post this since Poco releaved himself of this last month. My computer has been down and I finally got my pictures uploaded today. I had a hard time looking at it straight on so I took a picture (for some reason this made it easier to stomach.) We, the vet and ourselves, think this was the worm... but it is huge! Has anyone seen one this big? There was an additional pile on the floor.

DSC02041.jpg

Yep

Had a cat that puked something like that. Way before I was worm savvy. YUCK!!

Last summer I noticed Lumpy the LGD having a hard time getting his poo out. I was way up on the porch and he was halfway out in a field. I thought he had eaten a paper towel or something like that. When I got to him, I figured out it was a massive load of tape worms. Yuck!!!

One other time I saw a young lamb that looked like he had a hay bale string hanging out his bum. It was hanging almost to the ground. I went to investigate and what do ya know.....tapeworm!

Aren't parasites just way gross???

yummy photo. I'd have a hard time looking at even the picture if it came out of one of my pups. But you do get used to strange nasty things!

I never photographed any of my adventures in tape. Glad about that too!

Kristen

We found the rice grains and then the vet put him on de-wormer. 1 week later this is what came up. He never got rid of the worm through the back end.... only up the front. LOL I wasn't sure it even was the worm it was so big so I took the pic to the vet. Had i not seen it for myself I would have never imagined it could be so big.

Sorry, this is was one of those things that is so nasty I had to share. :rolleyes:

Google says they can be up to 20" long.

I dunno, the one hanging out the sheep bum seemed longer than that but it was a long time ago and I was so grossed out maybe my brain made in longer in my nightmares! Just keep your version RDM it's way easier to stomach that thought! :D

I've never seen the "rice grains" they talk about. Maybe I'm not that attentive to details? The BC's have never had anything like that hanging or coming out the other end, but they've had some nasty worms. One night when it was storming really bad I was in the only room in the house without a window (my sons bathroom) with all the dogs (they all freak in a storm but Mick's the worst) trying to get Mick calmed down and noticed a piece of somthing on his back outer leg. I got some TP picked it off and figured out it was a hook worm. For some reason that freaked me out more than the tapes. Probably cause their way worse for the host than tapes. Now how the heck did it get on his back outer leg? I think he was so upset that he farted the darn thing out!

Great dinner discussion huh??

Glad it's gone S.C.

When I see any of them with tape, they all get wormed. Heck for that matter if any of them have any type worms the all get wormed.

Worms give me nightmares! Isn't that a sign of worms? :rolleyes:

Kristen

A few years ago there was a TV program about teenagers who intentionally infected themselves with tapeworms to lose weight. :rolleyes: That gave me nightmares. I dread finding worms in my dogs' poo.

Robin

Guest jackieandryan
A few years ago there was a TV program about teenagers who intentionally infected themselves with tapeworms to lose weight. :rolleyes: That gave me nightmares. I dread finding worms in my dogs' poo.

Robin

Years ago (1940's) they used to sell them as a weight loss product and people would purposely ingest them. We talked about it in school. For obvious reasons, it is frowned upon now.

I was watching House (the tv show) and DR. House found a 20 foot tapework in some chicks intestines. She had a disorde where she could feel no pain, or anything (completely numb) so when she was dying her kinda tore her open and pulled it out. Talk about nasty!