BC Boards

Hi! Please give me some trick ideas...

Hi! I'm a proud owner of a black tri australian shepherd. As you can see, I've run out of trick ideas to teach my dog. She is very smart, she learned how to sit, shake, lay down, rollover, play dead, spin around, jump, up(go on items), off, back up, come, and stay. I still know that there are many other tricks out their that she can learn. But--I've got no idea what they are. I know a trick "bow" but it is difficult to get her in the formation. If you could, please tell me how I can teach her to bow. Yeah, so please give me some trick ideas if you could. I REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!

post-8162-1202677644_thumb.jpg

post-8162-1202677675_thumb.jpg

You've got a good start, but there's still endless things you can teach her!

You can teach her the names of certain items and get her to bring them to you - can be useful for things like car keys, her leash, etc. Also a stimulating game Gypsy and I play is that I ask her to bring me one of her toys, if she brings it she gets to play, if she brings the wrong one, then I don't play with her till she brings me the right one. When we were first starting this game I would always end up with a pile of toys at my feet :rolleyes:

Another one I'm working on with Gypsy is to get her to jump up on my back and then sit-up. It's a bit hard for her to keep her balance but she's slowly starting to improve. Pointless really, but cute :D The other day I bent over in the yard to pick up her toy, and she jumped up on her own. :D She likes piggy-backs too. She also knows how to jump into my arms on command (probably not a good one if you've got a bigger dog!), weave through my legs as I walk, jump through my arms held in an "O" shape, touch treats/toys with her paw without taking them, balance treats on her nose (we're still working on the flipping and catching part :D), dance, "be sad" - covering her face with her paw, get around (to the heel position), target (touches/follows my hand with her nose) and she's getting better at balancing on her hind feet and walking forwards. That's just a few off the top of my head.

You could also try teaching her hand commands so that you can give her silent cues, or work on her different tricks from a distance.

For teaching bow, I had Gypsy stand, then I put my arm underneath her belly just in front of her legs and told her "bow" in the same voice I use for "down". Since they sounded the same, she went to lie down, but only her front end went down since I held her back end up. You can also lure her down with a treat if she's not getting it right away.

Anyways, good luck with your training! It's a never-ending process :D

Teach your dog to:

Touch his paw, hip, ball or other objects with his nose ("Wheres your paw?")

teach him to weave through your legs as you walk, and then to weave backwards

Teach him to walk between your legs with his front paws on the toes of your shoes

Teach him to get a drink from the fridge

Teach him to stand all four feet in a bowl

those are just a handful of ideas

Hi! I'm a proud owner of a black tri australian shepherd. As you can see, I've run out of trick ideas to teach my dog. She is very smart, she learned how to sit, shake, lay down, rollover, play dead, spin around, jump, up(go on items), off, back up, come, and stay. I still know that there are many other tricks out their that she can learn. But--I've got no idea what they are. I know a trick "bow" but it is difficult to get her in the formation. If you could, please tell me how I can teach her to bow. Yeah, so please give me some trick ideas if you could. I REALLY appreciate it. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5TW_uKSCUA This gave me shaping and chaining behaviors material for months :rolleyes:

Ever played 101 things to do with a box? I couldn't find a box, so we used a step ladder.

I taught my small dog to target my ear with his nose and hold it for a few seconds. It's a guaranteed pleaser to ask "what did you say?" and lean down, and have them "whisper a secret".

If anyone has ever seen The Amazing Skidboot, there's another one who gave me material that will last for years.

Trick training for me is like writing..the hardest part is getting started and once the creativity starts flowing, there's no stopping it :D

Trick idea: "Put your toys away." (Degree of difficulty: Impossible)

Not to brag but this is one that we have actually been able to do. We noticed one day at a friends house that he (on his own) put the toys back that he was playing with and we have been working on it with him ever since. Sometimes he misses a bone here, or a ball there, but it is not impossible.

Tiga and I have been playing a lot of hide and seek or "find it". I make him sit and stay in one room while I go hide a little piece of carrott or kibble in a different room. Then I go back to him and say "ok, find it!" He then runs off to find whatever I hid. He's quite good at it so I have to be creative where I hide things.