BC Boards

Park Adventures

Two days ago we made our first visit to the local dog park that we recently discovered. It is a large privately owned park, that is frequented by alot of dog people. Our first visit, was on a very warm day, and there were a good number of dogs there, well spread out througout the large property. Gypsy has alot of energy, loves to run and wants badly to play with other dogs, but hasn't been able to too much so far. She's been around other dogs while we were going to her beginner level obedience course, that ended last month, which was fun, but since then she hasn't really had much of an opportunity to be around other playful dogs, so we were excited to go. At first we just played fetch with her on our own so she could run and feel comfortable in the area. Eventually a man and his two small miniture poodles came by and started conversation with us while Gypsy ran circles around one of the poodles and engaged her in play. It was cute. The other poodle was more standoffish and didn't join in the fun, instead she stayed at her owners side. The man was very nice, we walked one of the park trails with him, our dogs running in a small pack along side, as he told us about some of the other dogs that frequented the park, aswell as the etiquette and guidelines of the park. It was a really nice experience. Gypsy got to greet some other dogs aswell. And it seems like a very friendly and safe environment. I hope to go there very often, espeically when the weather is nice. I wanted to take alot of photos, of all the dogs playing together, but unfortunately my camera batteries decided not to cooperate.

I almost forgot to mention. Right at the end of our last visit.. in the parking lot, we're driving off slowly and I saw some one unloading their dogs out of the back of the van... "border collies!" I exclaimed, to stop our car, I pulled down the window and chatted with the girl a bit.. she trains agility and flyball, and has alot of dogs herself, it was neat to see, I hope to get the chance to talk to and see her again. :D

Today we decided to go again, functioning cammera in tow. It was a cold and wet day, however, and the park was empty other than us. Lots of puddles and mud, but Gypsy had the run of the park, lots of fetch, and had a lot of fun regardless. I thought it was a good opportunity for her to get familiar with the area, without the presence of other dogs. Both experiences so far were really positive, and I can't wait till the weather is more consistantly nice, though I don't mind getting a little wet and mucky once in a while either.

January-29-08013.jpg

January-29-08016.jpg

January-29-08022.jpg

January-29-08023.jpg

January-29-08027.jpg

January-29-08031.jpg

January-29-08033.jpg

January-29-08036.jpg

January-29-08038.jpg

January-29-08040.jpg

Ofcourse, she was filthy by the end of this adventure, and had to get a very thorough bath afterwards, but it was well worth the mess. :rolleyes:

~*AnNa*~

Two days ago we made our first visit to the local dog park that we recently discovered. It is a large privately owned park, that is frequented by alot of dog people. Our first visit, was on a very warm day, and there were a good number of dogs there, well spread out througout the large property. Gypsy has alot of energy, loves to run and wants badly to play with other dogs, but hasn't been able to too much so far. She's been around other dogs while we were going to her beginner level obedience course, that ended last month, which was fun, but since then she hasn't really had much of an opportunity to be around other playful dogs, so we were excited to go. At first we just played fetch with her on our own so she could run and feel comfortable in the area. Eventually a man and his two small miniture poodles came by and started conversation with us while Gypsy ran circles around one of the poodles and engaged her in play. It was cute. The other poodle was more standoffish and didn't join in the fun, instead she stayed at her owners side. The man was very nice, we walked one of the park trails with him, our dogs running in a small pack along side, as he told us about some of the other dogs that frequented the park, aswell as the etiquette and guidelines of the park. It was a really nice experience. Gypsy got to greet some other dogs aswell. And it seems like a very friendly and safe environment. I hope to go there very often, espeically when the weather is nice. I wanted to take alot of photos, of all the dogs playing together, but unfortunately my camera batteries decided not to cooperate.

I almost forgot to mention. Right at the end of our last visit.. in the parking lot, we're driving off slowly and I saw some one unloading their dogs out of the back of the van... "border collies!" I exclaimed, to stop our car, I pulled down the window and chatted with the girl a bit.. she trains agility and flyball, and has alot of dogs herself, it was neat to see, I hope to get the chance to talk to and see her again. :D

Today we decided to go again, functioning cammera in tow. It was a cold and wet day, however, and the park was empty other than us. Lots of puddles and mud, but Gypsy had the run of the park, lots of fetch, and had a lot of fun regardless. I thought it was a good opportunity for her to get familiar with the area, without the presence of other dogs. Both experiences so far were really positive, and I can't wait till the weather is more consistantly nice, though I don't mind getting a little wet and mucky once in a while either.

January-29-08013.jpg

January-29-08016.jpg

January-29-08022.jpg

January-29-08023.jpg

January-29-08027.jpg

January-29-08031.jpg

January-29-08033.jpg

January-29-08036.jpg

January-29-08038.jpg

January-29-08040.jpg

Ofcourse, she was filthy by the end of this adventure, and had to get a very thorough bath afterwards, but it was well worth the mess. :rolleyes:

~*AnNa*~

what a great looking pup! where is your park? I am looking for a good park near Philadelphia PA do you know of any?

Thankyou, she sure is growing fast! I'm in Niagara Falls, Ontario.. so unfortunately I'm not going to be very helpful. Perhaps someone else could advise you, or you can try doing a local google search for parks in your area? :rolleyes: Goodluck!

Thankyou, she sure is growing fast! I'm in Niagara Falls, Ontario.. so unfortunately I'm not going to be very helpful. Perhaps someone else could advise you, or you can try doing a local google search for parks in your area? :D Goodluck!

my other half is from Toronto, we could stop by the park on the way up...notice my boys have good beer names...molson, moosehead... :rolleyes:

Aren't the big parks wonderful, we have a huge one here in Jax that also holds a lot of the competitions, we would like to go more often but it takes us a good 30 minutes to get there, and that 30 minutes is on a good day with light traffic.

Your Gypsy is beautiful!!

Went to the dog park again and again.. it's such a great place. I have more photos to upload.. but I realize this post is probably in the wrong section.. I'm wondering if there is any way to be able to move it to the picture section of the forums?

Other than that.. I love the dog park. Though the people dynamic there is a bit intimidating, to be honest. There seems to be groups of regulars that mainly stick together. I would like to make friends with more animal lovers in my area, we'll see how it goes. Gypsy has a great time, and I love the excercise aswell. It's really nice to be able to have her offleash and running and meeting other dogs. The weather has been crazy lately, we've gone during warm weather, rainy weather, and even snowy times. Gypsy seemed to enjoy the snow most of all, and I have some great pictures of her in it that I shall post shortly. I'm so glad that I have such an active pup, can't wait to take her hiking and camping in the summer. /rambling

:rolleyes:

Looks like your pup had a terrific time! That's a nice park. Ours is more hilly, than flat, and it has more mud than grass. Hopefully, they'll seed it up some so it isn't such a mess. Thanks for sharing your pics!

Haha, masked dog indeed! The majority of the pictures I take of this black and white creature are in fact blurred and mysterious. :rolleyes:

Alas.. One in a dozen of the shots I take do turn out here and there so here we have Gypsy in the snow...

DSCN5508.jpg

DSCN5509.jpg

DSCN5511.jpg

DSCN5515.jpg

DSCN5560.jpg

DSCN5534.jpg

DSCN5539.jpg

DSCN5563.jpg

DSCN5565.jpg

After this excursion, when we got home, Gypsy quietly and quickly went right up the stairs, into the bedroom, and immidiately went into her crate to lay down for a good long nap.. I felt so pleased that my crazy energetic BC was tuckered out for once. We've been going to the park several days a week now.. it's wonderful to see her romp around to her fullest.

DSCN5579.jpg

:D

She's such a BOUNCY dog. I think she spends more time in the air than on the ground each time we take her to the park. :rolleyes:~

DSCN5589.jpg

DSCN5590.jpg

DSCN5592.jpg

Though it doesn't show in most of the pictures I've posted here... there are many other dogs that frequented the park. I just rarily photograph the moments, because I want to monitor the situation closley and focus on the dogs. I got a couple today though. :D

DSCN5595.jpg

Most of the dogs that Gypsy meets there are larger breed dogs.. alot of labs, and german shephards mostly. Today behind a big group of such dogs, I saw this white piece of bouncy snow floating along.. it was such a cute little sight. :D~

RSCN5598.jpg

I think Gypsy has finally caught onto our routine of going to the park every several days, because today as I was getting dressed she was sooo excited. I could tell she knew exactly where we were going.

~*AnNa*~

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Been a while since I posted pictures, ofcourse that doesn't mean the summer hasn't been packed full of adventure. Summer wouldn't be summer with out a bit of hiking, off roading, and ofcourse the dog park! :rolleyes:

DSCN5693-1.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

DSCN5703.jpg

DSCN5706.jpg

DSCN5754.jpg

DSCN5748.jpg

DSCN5976.jpg

DSCN5979.jpg

DSCN5986.jpg

DSCN5996.jpg

<3

The photo with the large black shephard in the dog park makes me giggle so much, we had seen the exact same couple with that dog months earlier, but the dog was tiny puppy sized and cowered before gypsy, even though she was still a puppy herself, and then to see it all grown up and towering over gypsy was really amazing. Gypsy can still out run him though, ofcourse. :rolleyes: I don't think there's a single dog we've met at the dog park that she isn't faster than.

She also absolutely adores Jeep rides. She knows her spot at the back so well, if we let her go in the driveway on her own, she automatically jumps into the backseat of the Jeep, sits, and just looks at us as if to say "LET'S GO!" It's so cute.