BC Boards

A few small brags

Just had to brag about my Whim pup. We started training the beginning of December and I'll tell you what, this pup is scary smart. We are touching on somethings that I hadn't shown him..because I didnt think of it or have readily available ie a Buja board and perch work. When I want my dogs to put their front feet on something I use a "Toes" command meaning put your front feet on whatever I am indicating. Whim has never been taught the command and the night we intro'd the behavior he walked up put one foot on and looked at me, after a moment of my not reacting he set his second foot on it WooHOO, we had a party. Although I've shown him targeting to my hand I never used any thing other than my hand, he made the abeit small, leap from hand to target in seconds. We have done ladder work so that was a piece of cake, as well as trotting along a dogwalk board set about 6 inches off the ground, hopping on a table top set on the ground. Last night was the Buja board hopped on no problem, ran across back and forth, tugged while standing on it like he'd been doing it from day one. Nothing seems to phase this pup except the sound of a clicker...go figure so I just use a marker word. I am tickled to death with this boy! He's all I hoped for and so so much more, I hope I can be the handler he will need me to be to meet his potential. I love working with this boy, I adore him to pieces! I cant say that last bit enough even when he's pestering to play at 11pm or 5am!

Sounds like you're going to have quite the ride with Whim, Pat! We'll look forward to hearing more of his progress. Funny about the sound of the clicker, though, isn't it - still, a marker word's just as good. I like my clicker, and do use it, but often I'll just use a marker - that's partly because I'm a klutz.

• 4 weeks later...

It's great fun isn't it?! My Z sounds a lot like your Whim - smart as a whip, fearless, etc. - and I'm loving it! She's gonna be an awesome dog if her handler doesn't screw her up. :rolleyes: Congrats on the brags!