BC Boards

starting this spring

Should a slender agile BC use a 2 foot approach or a one foot approach? I'm figurering a 2 footer? Am I wrong? He is QUICK- I want him to hit the targets, I am working with THE fastest dog around. I'm not kidding. IF and I mean IF I can keep up with him. We are in for one heck of a ride. He can barely be captured on my camera- yet lo teach playing tennis ball yet very kinda spooky about other's balls- aren't we all? LOL. Mastering the weave polls are the hardest. Migeraine couldn't do them. She looked up at me like- "WTF? "I'm suposed to do what?" Usher is gimme something, weave polls, balls, lovin's I don't care............. I'll take it. Bailey is kind of like my old dog "miss lacey" why should I get up to do that?" kind of like me. So, the agility champ is of course Usher- the fastest dog in the US. no shot-guns or holsters on his belt. But he's ruff ruff ruff and tough. LOL. Can't wait till spring!

Mostly I think dogs like BCs or larger use the one foot or "single stride" to weave. Dogs that are smaller usually use two feet and hop through the poles. But I think it usually just depends on the dogs preference. Theres not really a way they /should/ do it and I don't really think you can train them to weave a particular way, they just do what they feel is most comfortable. But most likely he'll single stride through them.

Should a slender agile BC use a 2 foot approach or a one foot approach?

My understanding is that it's up to the dog. :rolleyes: The wee dogs can't physically single stride, but the larger dogs seem to choose the footwork that is most comfortable for them. My small border collie single strides, but it's not faster than some of the dogs that hop. So I would let your dog choose the style.

Wick learned to weave using 2x2's, with a bit of channel work: Wick Weaves. Bear was taught using luring (behold! the power of cheese!). I think with Lou, I am going to try channels. Or cheese. Or channels with cheese. :D

yes- about the channels, what do you think are the drawbacks to them? Are the dogs kind of leery of them? I was surprised anyone answered my post as I had written it after I took my meds last night and this morning when I looked at it, it looked kind of goofy.

I'd say the only bad thing about the channel weaves or WAM is that sometimes the dogs trained on them have trouble with entries. They've been taught to drive fast through the poles so its hard for them to collect and enter correctly. I haven't seen a dog that was leery of channels, however. I'd say they think its pretty fun since they just get to run straight through some poles and get food for it!

I think the best way to teach weaves is with 2x2's as well as WAM or channel like airbear did with her dog. 2x2's are a great way to work on entries and if you use that method along with the channel or WAM you can get speed and accuracy.

If I had to recommend a method. I would say the channel works best at getting speed and entries down. Personally, I trained using 3x3s, and a C motion. As soon as my dog made the C I clicked and gave her a treat. it worked pretty well, but she is kind of slow. I have heard nothing but good things about the channel method.

Diane

If I had to recommend a method. I would say the channel works best at getting speed and entries down. Personally, I trained using 3x3s, and a C motion. As soon as my dog made the C I clicked and gave her a treat. it worked pretty well, but she is kind of slow. I have heard nothing but good things about the channel method.

Diane

I've never understood the logic of using 2x2s. The weave action is an in and out with the cue for the next repetition being the next time a pole come up on the dog's left shoulder.

To get this action you need 3x3.

Apart from that, I agree with dogsofmenace - teach the entry seperately from the channel.

The dogs speed from using the channel may still make it a bit difficult to collect to get into the weaves but when it gets it it will be awesome. (That's the theory anyway.)

To help with the entry when using channel weaves, I have had completely opposite suggestions from two top handlers I respect greatly over here in England.

One said to open the channel a little at the entry to make it easier but have the rest in line when you get to that stage and then move the entry in gradually.

The other said to have the entry in line and control the dog's speed on lead for a while but leave the middle of the channel open a little.

Both obviously work.

I'm not sure what, if any, difference would be made by the fact that our weave poles are rigid while North American ones can be pushed aside by the dog.

As for the OP's question - as others have said - leave it to the dog.

Two footed weaving puts less strain on the dog's shoulders but it's conformation will usually dictate which action is more comfortable, and it may switch from one to the other depending on the surface.

Over here shows are out doors on grass in summer and indoors on varying surfaces in winter - mostly soft. It is noticeable that some dogs switch to two footed action when they first compete indoors until they get used to the change in surface.

Pam

I’d say leave it to the dog as well. They’ll decide what feels best for them. Mine have always done one footed though regardless of surface

I’ve always found V weaves are brilliant at teaching footfalls and channels for entries and speed. My first full collie was trained with V weaves and as Pam says we have rigid weaves here. Jago was extremely good at powering through so forcefully as to break them off mid pole. I had a few red faced runs with him before he retired.

• 2 weeks later...

I have used the channel weave method with great results. I also have found that if you leave the dog alone with the footfalls..they will do what is quicker to them naturally. My 17" tall Sheltie has on occassion single strided through weave poles a bit...which amazed me. Normally he uses both feet, but hes so high drive that when hes haulin' he will put in a single stride at some poles. When Foxy (17 week old BC) gets old enough, I will be training with the channel and whatever way she strides will be what I let her do... I will bet that she will single stride through them though.

I like the channel weaves because it teaches a solid entry..... the Sheltie is a Novice dog and can hit extremely hard entrances..However, to each his own, depends on the dog most the time =)

When we practice the weaves at private lessons, the instructor sets up two types of weaves....channels and straight weaves w/ guides. She puts the channel weaves with a 3" space in between the poles so she can get it easily, but still have to really move her body. When Joy really gets her weaving down pat, she'll put the right before the guide wire weaves, to make a 12 pole weave set. Then we just have her weave thru the channels, and without changing or drawing attention to the fact that we changed weave sets, the upright weaves. This really teaches muscle memory, and it helps prevent plowing.

As for 1 foot or 2 foot aproach...it's the dogs preference. Joy prefers 2 foot right now, but she's still learning, and being pokey on her weaves. It's not really something you 'teach' the dog per se, but rather something you should let the dog with what evers most comfortable to them.