BC Boards

Pulling Harness

DH, being the ever creative self, has built a kicksled from recycled materials around the farm (I promise to post pictures). Anyway, we only have tracking harnesses for Jazz and Cricket which we've used but are not really suited for the purpose. We were looking at a couple of styles of pulling harnesses- X backed and H-backed. I know some of you use your dogs for sledding so I'm wondering which might be best. This is sheerly for recreation - no back country, no competition, just for the dogs to get a chance to get some different exercise during the winter.

Use the X back to allow freedom of movement for the dog`s body. The spreader bar system for weight pull is not able to allow freedom of movement for anything faster than a walk. The muscles will not be able to work properly, and there will be undue stress to the dog. Follow the experience of the mushers, even though you won`t be competitive. It is still the same work for the dog.

I ran sled dogs for 10 years and I have used many different types of harnesses. You have to look at a lot of factors, including where the tugline falls in relation to the dog's back. On most kick sleds it is quite low, which can put a lot of downward pressure on a dog's back. While skijoring the line comes from the handler's waist, above the dog, so X backs, H backs and the newer skijoring style harnesses work quite well. The weight pull harness keeps the line more level with the dog's chest and I do know many people who train dogs for freight at a trot or lope who use them.

Go to AKKO Sports and look at their harnesses, there are several different styles for different purposes, and they'll custom fit if need be. They're in Quebec and I've ordered several harnesses from them (in fact 2 are on order right now) and they're excellent to deal with. One of their models is called an NH and it actually says it's the best fit for border collie body types. It's a collar-neck version of the basic x-back harness. I've got one NH right now, plus the 2 on order, and I've also got one of their SH models (the basic x-back), and a couple of their FH harnesses with wider chest plates for larger dogs. Also, back when I wanted a harness for the great dane we used to have I bought their BH model because of his height. It has nothing over the hips (so no downward pull there) and instead has two side tuglines. If you decide to order there you won't be disappointed with their product or their customer service. Shipping is quick too.

ETA: Have fun! The dogs and I have been having a blast with the early winter we've been having, and I've had a couple of friends over to make use of my trails as well.

When DH was growing up his parents bred Siberians so he did do some sledding with them. Of course, what he's doing now is different for sure. Right now, the dogs are only going down our driveway which is about 100 metres long. To try to 'entice' the BCs to run, DH put Dusty BA on a 'trap line' (at least that's what he called it) It was the funniest sight I've ever seen....little Dusty BA - all 10 kg of him racing along side Jazz & Cricket - Dusty was having a blast because there's nothing he likes more than running! :rolleyes: Of course, DH would only have Dusty there when he's on the driveway. We hope to have a neighbour groom a trail for us in the hayfields once the dogs have the right harnesses and get the 'hang' of what they are doing :D

Thanks for the links - I've sent them to DH so he can do the research :D

Running? Did someone say running? We want to run too!

What a great idea Kris. Your Dh is so creative.

People keep mistaking Loki for a husky anyways, so maybe we should get a kicksled too. Can you imagine zooming down the beach at Prov? Wow!

Why bother with the sled, though? Just take your cross-country skis, add a towline and harnesses for you and the dog(s), and you're ready to go. After two weeks, we're still getting the hang of things, but Niki loves it, especially on slight downhills where she gets to run.

Why bother with the sled, though?

Actually, the sled provides a lot of stability. DH suffered a really severe injury 2 years ago and the sled gives him the support he needs while providing the dogs with some exercise. I thought about skijoring myself, but I have found I prefer my snowshoes over my x-country skis especially for exploring in the bush. We might try the kicksled on the lake at some time once the dogs get the hang of it. Glad to hear you and Niki are having fun :rolleyes: My dogs really love the winter!

...I have found I prefer my snowshoes over my x-country skis especially for exploring in the bush.

Skijoring isn't the way to go for exploring, at least around here. We need at least a semi-broken ski trail to make much progress, and something well-packed to get up any speed. In new snow Niki's up over her belly, hopping to make progress. Breaking trail is kind of a conflict for her - she'll stay behind me for a minute or so, but then she just has to get out in front again.