BC Boards

Jack Knox, Jan 11-13

Hey everyone,

It looks like the clinic is on, so go ahead and make your travel plans, etc. I will send out another flyer later this week with directions and other pertinent information. Let's hope for nice weather (I never thought I'd say this, but it could stand to dry out a bit around here), and we should all have a blast.

We will have coffee and hot water for tea, hot chocolate, cider, etc. available all day. Breakfast junk food (donuts, muffins, etc.) and soups for lunch. Plan on going out one evening for dinner with Jack.

If you have any questions, call or e-mail me. And anyone who wants to come help build the round pen this weekend, feel free to do so! :rolleyes:

J.

Great! You have made my day Julie! Could you please e-mail the paper work and address I'll need to send for ya, and I'll get it in the mail for ya.

Oh, forgot to say, I think I am off the weekend, so a dry run out there will help to familiarize me with the drive, ( Im so directionally challenged) so I'll get back to work tomorrow and check my books and if so, I might can "come bye" and give ya a hand.

Karen,

You wouldn't have to drive two weekends in a row--just take the time off work, come on up, stay for the week, work dogs, attend clinic.... Sounds like a great vacation! :D

J.

Ah, you've no idea how tempting that would be. Of course, my boss would choke me and my wallet would run away from home :rolleyes:

I'm just glad to have it a go and we'll be there for 3 days!

Karen

I shoulda ben pounding t-posts before the "big freeze of 2008"! I will try to start it this week, just so I can start separating out some certain very fat sheep, but I'm sure there will be work to do on the weekend, as I've been trying to do some general sprucing up of the place as well.

J.

Julie, Did you freeze there? Its darn cold and windy here, but we didnt freeze. I had a s*itty day at work today. This time of year a gal could starve in my biz. Am off Saturday, but may opt to work to make up for the slow week. Are you guys fer sure yer gonna do the work Saturday? Or will Sunday be a day to help as well?

I may have to do Sunday instead of Saturday but I hope not. I'm thinking Patrick and the kids are going to have to come, too, because ATM we are a one-car family. Patrick may have to drive me down for the clinic too - good thing I've already arranged to stay at Laura's! If she is still picking up Jack I guess I'll be sitting on the floor next to the dog crates, on the way down. Or I'll just crawl into a spare one. :rolleyes:

Are we going to bring food type items to this pre-clinic get together?

Darci,

I about froze feeding this morning, does that count? The ground was frozen (a blessing in that it's been mud lately) and I had to take the compost turner thing to break water for the sheep (the ice was surprisingly thick!), and I'm wondering if it ever thawed today since according to Weatherbug on my desktop it's still 29 in Liberty. I'll go home soon though, so I can break it up again if need be.

I'm sure there will be stuff to do both days. I'm kind of just leaving it open-ended and will put people to work as they show up. I'll be there getting stuff ready both days. We'll probably at least start the round pen (if not finish it) on Saturday, especially if I have two menfolk (or more) to help. But there will be other general stuff to do (rig gates for the stalls that will be used as holding pens, etc.)

I need to get more cattle panels and move the t-posts from the back, but will probably just drag my handly little wagon along when I walk the dogs back there and pull some home.

I've been telling everyone else who comes out to help to bring their dogs. The sheep don't get to see lots of different dogs, and we may as well try to prepare them for the shock of the clinic. Oh, and I will need to check/trim feet and check/deworm this weekend as well and could always use help with that too! See? Plenty of tasks for willing hands....

ETA: Becca, do you really think I'm going to let anyone have time off from work for something as pointless as eating????

If Debbie C. comes from MD and stays close enough she may well want to be taxi for Jack, in which case the Crazymobile will have plenty of room for you.

J.

Ooh, ooh, sheepwork! Have hoof shears, will travel. And I was just mentioning how Ted's been getting some practical work lately.

Can I bring my own copper-free hoof treatment however so I don't dye your sheep green? Or, someone else needs to wield the green stuff. "Is that your favorite shirt?" :rolleyes:

I wish Bugsy weren't dead, I could come down some afternoon and help too. Bleh. But, the week following, Patrick will be off and could drop me off at Laura's early.

(willing but vehicle-less)

Becca,

You're in luck because Koppertox is okay this time of year since it will wear off before shearing time. It was only a concern last time for the sheep who were supposed to be going to the show. I have Hoof n Heal too, so we can go green-free if need be (I usually use the H&H and just use the koppertox if I've made one bleed because it seems to stick to the hoof better).

Hmmm....that reminds me that we'll need to be doing some crutching sometime after the clinic as well. Maybe you will no longer be vehicleless and I can lure you with more practical dog work! :rolleyes:

J.

That'll do, I'll open the books up for Saturday, and see ya on Sunday. Still,.... If I cant book enough to make it worth it for me to go in....maybe I'll just make a waiting list and see. But fer sure, at least plan on me for Sunday. Tell Becca I'll bring Lexy then, if it isnt too cold. She's blowing a lot of coat from a false pregnancy, so is kinda thin in the way of what should be right now a decent winter coat. Hate for her to get a chill on the old bones.

Darci,

I about froze feeding this morning, does that count? The ground was frozen (a blessing in that it's been mud lately) and I had to take the compost turner thing to break water for the sheep (the ice was surprisingly thick!), and I'm wondering if it ever thawed today since according to Weatherbug on my desktop it's still 29 in Liberty. I'll go home soon though, so I can break it up again if need be.

29 - that is a typo isn't it.......please let that be a typo.

I keep holding my "I'll help out" statement because Brian is sick and doesn't want to get the baby sick...thus him watching her while I come is currently out the door. So I'll play it by ear but if he is feeling better than I may come on Saturday but if not then I would have to bring her on Sunday...which wouldn't be convenient so count me out then. I'll keep you posted and let you know...or I just might or might not show up.