BC Boards

What is she doing???

Hello, Everyone!

I am new to the boards, but I have had my sweet border collie mix, Evvie, for over four years...since she was tiny. Most of her personality quirks point straight to her border collie heritage, but she does one thing that I haven't been able to find out anything about:

She will pick up small mouth-fulls of her food and place them around the room (usually the room that I am in at the time). Then she will push her nose along the carpet towards the food like she is trying to bury it or something. If she can find anything (a sock, blanket, kleenex, anything) on the floor, she will actually push the item with her nose until it covers the food. Sometimes she tries to cover her entire dish. Mostly, I just think it's cute and silly, not so much annoying, and she's not hurting anything so I don't try to stop her. I was just curious if anyone had ever had a dog, bc or otherwise, that did this or if anyone knew why? Thanks!

sarahevvie

My Maggie does that w/ food (though she keeps it in the bowl and tries to cover the whole bowl) when we're on a road trip or at an agility trial - I think for her it is an insecurity issue.

Allie takes mouthfuls of kibble from her dish and then spits them back out in the hallway or under the bed. She doesn't usually try to cover them, but she spreads the food around and then goes and eats it from the "hiding spots".

I'm not too fond of the habit because she leaves crumbs everywhere, but to my knowledge (Allie was a rescue, but based on what I was told by the folks there), she never went without food or had to worry about whether or not other dogs would get her food. It may just be one of those BC quirks.

My mother in law's dog, Ziggy does this. She's not a BC, but a terrier mix. She is definitely insecure though.

I'm lucky if Odin shows any interest in his food at all, I think I'd jump for joy if he decided to hide some for later :rolleyes:

We have a dog that does that too, she's not a border collie but I don't think it hurts anything. She leaves crumbs around too.

I just upgraded to a new vacuum cleaner, a Hoover Saavy, and it does a great job cleaning up after puppy snack sessions. It is bagless, has a HEPA filter, on-board cleaning tools, and has a red light that changes to green when the section you are vacuuming is clean. It is also great on cat/dog fur "dust bunnies." $$$$$, but worth it.