BC Boards

Is it ever too late to socialize a dog?

Technically after the socialization window closes at about 14 weeks you can't "socialize" the dog anymore. What you can do after that age is desensitizing and counterconditioning to new situations and experiences.

Maggie was 11 mo when I got her, but obviously undersocialized. Using D/CC she now acts like a normally socialized dog in most situations.

I guess it's really just a matter of semantics in one respect.

Thanks for the replies! I feel very encouraged now!

Odin is 16 months old. When we first got him we introduced him to alot of new things. We took him for walks near the larger roads where cars zipped by constantly, we crackeled plasic and paper bags, used the vaccum, etc.

Unfortunately, between my hubby's work schedule, my anxiety proplems and the fact that we didn't know anyone with young children or cats, Odin didn't get much socialization with those things.

Lately we've been getting out more. In the past few months, Odin has been spending time with his doggy "cousins", now that dh's mom and I have finally reconciled (after a year and a half).

We had our first experience with really young children yesterday, as I mentioned in another thread, and it was wonderful. Also, I've been noticing that he hasn't been jumping up on people as much as he used to, lately . . . I'm not sure if that's because he's been around people more lately or if it's because he's just getting older and less playful.

I'd like to learn more about Desensitizing and CounterConditioning. I know a bit about desensitizing from watching The Dog Whisperer and Good Dog, but I've never heard of the second one.

I certainly don't think so. It sometimes takes longer for some dogs to be comfortable around other dogs or with people when they are older, but most animals will respond in a fairly positive manner if there is good follow through and reinforcement.

A friend of mine adopted a blind 6 year old Great Dane from a rescue. The dog had never been around children or other dogs and was extremely anti-social. The friend wisely took the dog to a good behaviorist who helped them work through the socialization issues they had. They still don't leave the dog alone with young children (which is good common sense for most dogs anyway), but Keyte (the G.D.) loves to be around and play with their kids. He does interact positively with other dogs on a limited basis, and doesn't show fear aggression anymore either.

Wow, this is very encouraging! Especially hearing about the Great Dane!

Yesterday Odin let two small children pet him and even hug him. I held him closely on his leash, but still, it was a beatiful sight to see.

I'd love for him to be good around children, and would just love for him to get along with my mom's cat Snickers. I hate leaving Odin here when we go visit :rolleyes: They haven't even met though, because my hubby won't let me even give it a try.

Oreo was a bitch to any other dog, and not too polite to humans either, when we found the dog park and started socializing and de-sensitizing daily. I think she was 8 at the time. It took a while, but now she's SO MUCH better some relatives wonder if it's the same dog. :rolleyes: