BC Boards

An OMG moment with Loki

We're fine and thanks to Krisk for being a phone call away and talking me down off the ceiling.

Last year, I had a wardrobe failure with Lokis leash and he ran away for 3 hours. He came back on his own that time. Now I tie the ropes with sturdy knots onto the collars. Both my dogs spend very little time outside on leash alone. Tex just hates to be tied out and Loki does his run and bark at the ground thing continuously so I try not to put him in situations that encourage his OCD. But today, out they both went while I vacuumed. Loki seemed happy laying there watching red squirrels so I left him out. He started his run and bark routine so I headed to the door to bring him in. I got distracted and when I went to get him finally, he was Gone!

Major OMG!! I live right on a highway and my special little guy is stone deaf. I jumped into the van and went looking. There are sheep and llamas thru the bush directly across the road so I headed there first. So many horrible things were going thru my head...the farmers are going to shoot him, the llamas are going to stomp him, he won't hear the cars coming, he'll get lost and the yotes will get him...I was getting myself pretty wound up. After half an hour, I finally went home to see if he had come back. As I was getting out of the van I heard him bark.

The little brat was 2 back yards over. The neighbour has a clothesline and there is a fabric bag of clothespins on this line. The bag was swinging back and forth in the wind and Loki was directly under it, chasing the shadow back and forth. The veggie garden was tilled up and he had worn a big groove in the dirt. He'd been there the whole time by the depth of the groove he'd dug with his runnning back and forth under the line.He was allover mud and happy as a clam. He looked at me and wagged and went back to shadow chasing. I walked over and signed him to come to me. He did and we went home. Tired little muddog is asleep on my feet right now, wagging his tail as he dreams.

I hate when I read about this happening to other people and I freak when it happens to me. Today I am grateful that he has OCD.

I am glad Loki is okay. But I feel like I have to tell you that if I had a blind dog and a deaf dog and no fence and lived on a highway they would NEVER be outside by themselves. All of dogs have all their faculties and a 5 foot fence around the deck and I still don't let them out there by themselves. I just really, honestly, can't imagine why you'd take the risk.

RDM

I rarely do. Our routine is in and out for a wee, ( at 5:30am ) while I watch from the door. At other times of the day I leash them up and we head for the park across the road. Tied out or loose in a fenced yard just stresses Tex and increases Lokis staring and barking at the groundiness.

I got distracted by a leaky washing machine and thats all it takes.

Regardless of whether I was standing beside Loki or in the house when his rope came undone, does anyone have any positive suggestions on how I can keep my dogs leashed more safely?

In the last year, I've had a clip break on an expensive leash and a double knot come untied. Are there any tried and true harness/ leash combinations I could try with these guys?

What kind of leashes/clips do you use? The only kind I've ever had come undone are carabiner-type clips. If I wanted to be absolutely sure nothing came accidentally undone, I'd use a harness/collar combination--one leash with regular metal clip attached to buckle collar and another attached to harness. I would also never let my dogs outside alone without a fence so I could supervise all activity--I know you said regardless of whether or not you were there, but there's obviously just a much greater likelihood of them being loose without your knowledge if you aren't there to see a line failure happen.

I wish I did. I found out the hard way I can't trust our fenced in backyard. One time our cat jumped up on the gate. In doing so, apparently she stepped on the latch to help herself up. Because our yard in slanted, the gate swung open. DH found JJ and Jake both out front when he went to get the mail. I'm very glad we don't live on a busy street but at the same time, I realize it only takes one car. Accidents happen. I'm glad Loki's ok.

you could try karabiners, BUT i mean the real ones!

find a caving/rock climbing place and buy from them. they have the clip part and them a sleeve that screws over the opening of the clip. you cant get em off without unscrewing the sleeve.

these will hold, trust me. i wouldnt dangle myself off >200 feet of underground waterfall if i wasnt 1000% sure they would hold :rolleyes:

then find a good tutorial for knot tying. a caving/climbing site should be able to help you out there. i dont remember the name of the know, nor can i describe it properly, and i would hate for you to get it wrong!

karabiner + rope + knot tying skill should = secure leash/tether.

make sure you use a harness though, cos if somehow a pupper got caught there is no 'quick release' from a karabiner. you dont want that on your dogs neck :D

Donna's right--it's the smaller, non-load-bearing carabiners I've had problems with. A locking carabiner won't come loose.

hahaha!

you get to know equipment went you're dangling by a harness :rolleyes:

i wouldnt trust the little ones you can buy everywhere to hold a lettuce!

but the knots are equally as important, i wish i could remember what they were called!

if they can hold me, they can hold a bc thats for sure!

Maybe you could wrap some good ol 200mph tape around the knot in the rope. That would keep it from coming undone! The screw type clips should work too! I know that had to have been scary! See, he has OCD for a reason! LOL I think I would also try the harness and collar just for extra measure.