BC Boards

growth stall

Hello all! (First post!)

I have a 5 month old female BC named Niko who is a typical BC in every way, except one: she's weighed 18-20 lbs for about 5 weeks. During that time, her shape has changed a bit, and she's lost all of her milk teeth (the last canine only a few days ago). I'm feeding her as much as I can without giving her diarrhea, which is 2-2.25 cups of food a day, in 3 meals. She also gets a carrot and treats, but not daily. She's eats Blue Buffalo Lamb & Brown Rice.

Her mother and father are 35lbs. and 42lbs., respectively.

I searched for growth patterns as much as I could, but I've not seen anything that indicates a growth stall.

Am I too worried here? Anyone have similar experience?

I can only say from personal experience - I don't really know what is "normal". :D

At 5 months there is still some good growing and filling out that should happen, but it seems that at that point it slows down a LOT. Dazzle (now 30 pounds) was about 16 pounds at 5 or 6 months. Through pictures (I took a pic every day to chart her growth) I could see that she burst up to that size, then not much really happened very fast after that. She just slowly got a little taller and filled out very gradually over the next 10 months. You are feeding a good quality food (unless there is something about it that upsets a dog) so growing will go slower on that than a puppy food (slow growing = good). And don't worry about feeding more and more - what you have sounds pretty good, go by how she feels(ribs, spine, hips, neck, etc). More food won't make a pup grow really fast, it will make a fat puppy. :rolleyes:

Also, Dazzle's parents were 35 and about 55 pounds - whereas she hardly tips the scales at 30, so don't set to much store in the sire's and dam's weights - you may end up with a tiny little girl. Basically, I guess I am saying don't worry to much if nothing else seems wrong. As long as she is eating good, pooping good, and acting good, I think you don't have to much to worry about. :D

Ruger was a good 1 1/2yrs old before he hit his peak idle fighting weight. He is a good 15lbs heavier than his mother and 10lbs lighter than the father. I don't think any of my kids were completely grown before they were a year old. I don't think Niko will be either.

"Patience is a virture": Evelyn Carnahan in "The Mummy", 1999 version

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Tank's growth stalled at 4mos, too. He was 20lbs for about 7 or 8wks and then had another growth spurt. He's 9mos now and 32lbs.

Stella on the other hand is my mighty mini. At 4mos old she is 10.6lbs and has not gained much in the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

How is Stella doing? That is way small! So, if we go by normal estimations, she should be a whopping 20 lbs when full grown! She may pick up now that she is feeling better?

Tank's growth stalled at 4mos, too. He was 20lbs for about 7 or 8wks and then had another growth spurt. He's 9mos now and 32lbs.

Stella on the other hand is my mighty mini. At 4mos old she is 10.6lbs and has not gained much in the last few weeks. :rolleyes:

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Stella has been just fine since her seizure episode. No other syptoms or issues whatsoever. She's spunky, lively and really just a very normal puppy aside from her teeny tiny size. She even lost her first tooth already. I thought perhaps my scale was weighing incorrectly (I couldn't believe she was still 10lbs) so I took her to the local pet store that has one of those Science Diet scales and that's where she weighed in at 10.6lbs just last night.