BC Boards

Why did she chew up my seatbelts?

I really enjoy taking Kensi out in the car with me on weekends. We got to different places and play. I take her to the pet store and she enjoys sniffing around. Sometimes there are stores I can't take her in. Well a couple of weeks ago that happened. I left her in the truck (Blazer with back seats folded down) and when I got back from shopping I had no more seat belts for the back seats. Chewed clean through them. Also through her nylon leash. Slobber everywhere. Wasn't in store 20 minutes. She doesn't chew up anything when I leave her at the house for work. Any ideas?post-7986-1192865590_thumb.jpg Oh she looks so innocent!

Spoiling a dog wouldn't cause them to chew a seatbelt - it sounds as though she was either bored or anxious and so turned to chewing to occupy or calm herself(depending on her state of mind). To discourage this behavior in the future, I'd apply Bitter Apple spray to the seatbelts and her leash and supply her with toys and other things to do while you're in the store, as BorderC suggested.

I'd go with bored or anxious as well. If a crate will fit in your car, you can start using that. Otherwise, I agree with all of the above: give her something better to chew (kong), bitter apple the seatbelts, and also set her up in that scenario as often as possible. Start in your driveway, put her in the car with a kong, and walk out of sight. Keep peeking at her until you don't see her head looking out the window for you, and check to see if she's chewing the kong. If she is, great! Reward her with attention and praise. If she's chewing on the seatbelt, then try one of the other versions of bitter apple, because the one you're using isn't working, and try something more tempting in the kong. Build up to longer and longer periods of time, and don't leave her unsupervised in the car for more than a couple of minutes at first.

oh- I can relate to this question. I had Migraine at a sheepdog trial with my old 92 Chevy S-10 and once she heard the whistles she chewed clean through my seat belt. I'm sure on her part it was anxiety and anticipation. I feel your pain. They aren't cheap to replace.

Actually, after Migraine ate the seat belts, she was immediately put into her crate. Dogs are happy in their crates, if you train them right. Give them a hoof or something to chew on and they are fine and SAFE in the car. Plus if it's hot, you can keep your windows down and they stay cool in the car without any worry of over heating. Crates are your friends. I have 3 crates and only one dog- LOL.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going with the anxious theory. She had several chew toys and some dog biscuits in there with her. I have loaned my crate to a friend so I will have to get it back from her. I do use it on long trips but thought she would be ok for a short one. Thanks again everyone.

I got a good laugh out of this. For me it has been carpet destroyed by one of the ac vents, chewed up window sills, and so many shoe laces that I have lost count. He has this way of chewing the laces off and they are still tied in a bow when he is done. Its like he has scissors for teeth. I saw him clip off one of my shoe laces in 30 seconds. Before I knew what he was doing the laces were lying on the floor just nice and neat as you please.

I love the crate idea. I know a lot of people crate their dogs when taking them to certain events. I always wondered why since I have never had any problems. One thing that may have helped me is that many times I have both dogs in the car. Of course I would never leave a pair of shoes in the car with Ruger under any circumstances.

I learned a very good lesson about leaving a perfectly content BC in the car once. He had always just layed down when I left him in it, till one day I had him and another BC in the truck with me upon arriving home from a quick trip to the store. A friend was there when i got there and wanted to see the other dog do a bit of work. So I took her out, leaving the other dog in the truck to wait while I ran the other dog for a few minuets on sheep. I can honestly say, dont ever leave a BC in the car while running another on sheep. Even for a minuet. I did not recognise the interior of my truck ( or what was left of it) when I got him back out of it. He even had deep teeth marks in the plasic dash! The only reason I even noticed what he was doing, was because he was barking like mad, and I turned towards the truck to tell him to hush, and saw peices of cloth flying around inside. Crates are "my" friends. To heck with what the dog thinks about them! :rolleyes:

I know what it is........I know exactly what it is.

BORDER COLLIES LOVE THE TASTE OF BLAZERS!!!

I have a Blazer and Wolfie chewed up the leather interior on one of the door panels!!

That really sucked.

Get a Ford, dogs hate the taste of Fords!! :rolleyes:

I know what it is....I know exactly what it is.

BORDER COLLIES LOVE THE TASTE OF BLAZERS!!!

Wolfie chewed the leather interior of the door panel in my Blazer! :rolleyes:

Get a Ford, dogs hate the taste of Fords! :D

Mine did that too, but he's reactive in the car (towards the livestock outside the windows...) He was frustrated, trying to stick his head against the front window between the seat and the window and chewed halfway through our seatbelts without us even noticing. It was $291 to get them replaced! :rolleyes: With a little training towards his car-reactivity, he hasn't tried to chew the seatbelts since, and most of the time, he stays in a crate.