BC Boards

On Little Vacation w/ Big Pooper!

:D Decided to take the wife, kids, and dog to Cordele, GA this weekend to see Thomas The Train at a state park. Anyway we drove 3 hours and Saki did great, slept the whole trip. When we got here I walked her and she did her business, then I put her in the crate located in the back of the SUV. While outside talking we all got ready to load up and head to our villa. Anyway we opened the door and OMG Saki had the RUNS-FROM-HELL, oh how the truck smelled LOL

We couldn't find a waterhose so we loaded up and drove 5 minutes to the villa and no waterhose there either. My wife said I couldn't bring her in to wash her until I got most of the stuff off of her and she was covered head to toe so, I decided to wash her another way, I walked her down to the resort dock and dip her in then shampoo'ed her and again dip her like a monster tea bag until she was clean. LOL the people around her looking at me like I'd lost my mind. hehehehe

Now I've got her on the back porch and I'm running to walmart to buy dog shampoo and Mr Clean to clean the truck, crate, and everything else.

LOL

I LOVE MY DOG HEHEHE

Whats the best way to get rid of the RUNS fast....? and I'm asking about the dog not me :rolleyes:

Bless her heart. It sounds like 3 hours is a bit too long for her. It should get better as she gets older. What will also help is to wait to travel about an hour after feeding her or if you leave early in the morning, wait about after an hour after getting there to feed her.

OMG what a mess! When Zeeke has the runs I usually withold food for a few hours up to a day to make sure his stomach is settled (since anything I give him before then just causes MORE)... then I feed him some plain cooked rice and some ground chicken or ground beef. I honestly don't know if that has ever helped, but at that stage you want to make sure you do anything possible to help, right? LOL

Just curious if he's been getting water from random sources along the way? That could cause some stomach upset, if the water is different/has something strange in it.

Anyways, I'm really sorry! Those big nasty dog-is-covered messes are soooo bad.

When Joy has the runs I withhold food all day, or until the runs clear up. You can feed rice and cooked ground beef, or plain chicken. Until the runs clear up, you can give a couple teaspoons of PLAIN, UNSPICED pumpkin puree.

Hope Saki feels better!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

In a pup that young I would see a vet about the runs. There are so many things that can cause the runs and I wouldn't worry about finding the quickest way to just get rid of them without seeing a vet first.

In a pup that young I would see a vet about the runs. There are so many things that can cause the runs and I wouldn't worry about finding the quickest way to just get rid of them without seeing a vet first.

I second the trip to the vet for such a young puppy. They can dehydrate very quickly. I tend to be an alarmist but sometimes it really pays off.

Two things:

1. Did you wear The Outfit? and
  2. and again dip her like a monster tea bag until she was clean.
    :rolleyes::D I think her puppy hood is going to be a very interesting one for all of us!

I hope her tummy feels better. In an emergency, for nervous tummies while traveling, for instance, you can use kaopectate or a doggy version you can get online easily from several suppliers (Jefferspet.com is closest to us both). But I agree that diarrhea in a pupper is call for a vet visit - even "minor" ailments can be deadly until they are around six months old - and of course there's many things that can happen quickly with few symptoms at that age.

[You can give 1/2 a pepto bismol tablet per 20 lbs of body weight. I used to work in a kennel and it is pretty safe, especially if the diarhea is due to stress of travel (which is very common). Of course, if a vet is available, by all means go, but Pepto will work in a pinch.

I'm sorry but that made me laugh. It's one of those "You gotta love dogs" stories. The kind of stories that make you look so foolish to everyone else. Like I always say, if you don't feel completely stupid around your dog, you don't love him enough :rolleyes:

I hope the big pooper starts to feel better. Long trips or even short trips can be hard on a little pup. Sometimes Black Jack will even get diarrhea when we're traveling.