BC Boards

Too much hiking?

Rather an odd question, I suppose, but is it possible to do too much hiking?

For background, Niki is almost 3. She was my neighbors' dog for a year or so previous, but moved in with me around the end of June because she wasn't getting on too well with their other two. She still stays with them for a few days every week or two, when work takes me out of town. She was quite overweight (the neighbors aren't active people), so I started regular hikes and diet to get her weight down. We generally do 2-5 miles most evenings, maybe 10 or so on weekends, all trails or dirt roads rather than pavement. She's always eager to go, stays ahead and tries to get me to run, doesn't like to stop & rest on the trail, &c.

When I got home this weekend, the neighbors said that it looked like her back legs were weak or wobbly, and they thought I was making her hike too much - like it's not her making ME hike :-) I don't see anything unusual at all, but will probably take her to the vet for a checkup. (It's about time to check on shots anyway.) Meanwhile I thought I would ask here. Is it possible to do too much of this kind of exercise? It doesn't seem excessive from what I've read here, or from my experience with previous dogs, all of whom would let me know when they were tired. In fact, I've been worrying about not being able to give her enough exercise, so the idea that she could be getting too much comes as a surprise.

So, any thoughts, suggestions, things to check?

Thanks,

James

Tough one if it's not your dog because my first step would be to go to the vet for an exam, bloodwork and maybe radiographs. Some immediate concerns would be overheating, dehydration and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). What does she eat?

Guest WoobiesMom

They probably don't know what healthy legs and gait looks like! :rolleyes: I'd double check w/the vet but it might be that the reason she was overweight is they are the type of people who look for reasons not to exercise or exercise their pets. She's probably fine. My Airedale had several pins in his leg and could still do 5 mile walks pretty regularly until he was 9. Woobie's 1 and we're doing 3-5 miles a day almost 5 days a week now.

Tough one if it's not your dog because my first step would be to go to the vet for an exam, bloodwork and maybe radiographs. Some immediate concerns would be overheating, dehydration and hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). What does she eat?

She is my dog now, though she stays with the neighbors when I have to go out of town. (Maybe I wasn't clear on that. I know it's sort of complicated.)

Right now she's eating about 2/3 Canidae Platinum, 1/3 Pedigree. (The neighbors were feeding just Pedigree, so I've been gradually moving her to the Canidae.) She gets about 2 cups per day, plus a bit of canned food (about a small hamburger patty amount), plus occasional bones & chews. She was pretty overweight (72 lbs) when I got her, down to 65 at the last weighing, and much better toned, though still a ways to go.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with general energy levels, though she's a bit more laid-back than the average BC. (She's either pure BC, or BC & Australian Shepherd mix - I've gotten various stories.) She's always eager to go: though she hasn't quite gotten to the point of bringing her leash and shoving it in my hand, she does start with the dancing & pleading looks about 5 every day.

They probably don't know what healthy legs and gait looks like! :rolleyes: I'd double check w/the vet but it might be that the reason she was overweight is they are the type of people who look for reasons not to exercise or exercise their pets.

Well, I wouldn't say that they look for reasons - they just don't :-) At least beyond throwing sticks & things. They expect the dogs to do the work, and Niki's either smart or dumb on the chase & fetch thing (I haven't decided which). She likes to chase balls, but doesn't seem to get the point of bringing one back to chase again, while their other dogs will do it all day. It's like "Hey, I caught this one, what's next?".

They do have long experience with dogs, but except for Niki all of them have been Viszlas (sp?), so they may have different expectations. She was sort of an accident, adopted from another neighbor as company for their young male when their two older ones died.

Guest WoobiesMom
IMO 10 miles is an easy stroll for a bc. I think I read somewhere that working bcs can walk/run 90-100/day during intense working situations. My girl easily goes 25 miles then wants to go play frisbee. :rolleyes:

OMG! Are you kidding me??? No wonder I can't wear Woobie out with walking!!!!! :D

said that it looked like her back legs were weak or wobbly, and they thought I was making her hike too much

Hmmm...well, Buzz's legs sometimes quake a bit when we hike. I was a little worried about it until I realized that it happens on the same part of the trail each time...right before we get to the opening where I let him off leash! He's just excited!

The vet is always a good idea if something seems off, but I wouldn't worry too much...

IMO 10 miles is an easy stroll for a bc. I think I read somewhere that working bcs can walk/run 90-100/day during intense working situations. My girl easily goes 25 miles then wants to go play frisbee. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that was what I thought. I've been thinking I wasn't giving her enough exercise - what with work and so on I just don't have time for more than 2-3 hours on weekdays; my knees aren't really up to much running, and there aren't any really good places to bike off pavement. I've been looking forward to winter, so I can get her to pull me around on cross-country skis :-)

Could her legs be weak from excess weight? If she started at 72 and is down to 65 that's great but I would think she still has a few pounds to loose yet. So with the extra weight and the distances you are hiking it could be too much at one time.

She is better off with you and you are doing a great job getting her out to exercise. You might want to rethink the 10 mile weekend hikes. Do 5 miles then come home and do some obedience training. Just my ideas. Good luck.

Why not try cutting out the canned food and only feed Canidae?

Just an update: we saw the vet today, and she said Niki appeared to be just fine. She did say that she has a rather odd conformation in her back legs (I've forgotten the name), but it's just different, not a problem. She (the vet) also said she runs about 10 miles a day with her dogs :-)

But the big news is, when Niki got on the scales, they read 59.8 lbs! We figure about 50-55 should be a good weight for her, but that's a lot of progress from 72.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

I take mine on 2-3 hr long off leash hikes. Your guess is as good as mine about how many miles the dogs do vs. how many I do. I would say probably 10-15 per hike or more. They zoom up and down the trails and through the woods and in the creek, etc. I think I need to put a pedometer on one of them just to see how much they actually do in one hike.

I wish I could let Niki off the leash, but if there's an open road or trail she wants to be heading off down it, and isn't good about listening when she gets her head down and going. She does come ok in most situations: around the yard or when she's in some park or field. It's more like she just gets so focussed on going that she doesn't pay attention to distractions like being called. (I can relate, as I get that way sometimes when working.)

I've been looking at the GPS locators that go on collars, but they are pretty pricy.

You could try working on her recall by using a long line on part of your hikes (30 + feet of light parachute type line) with a knot every 5 feet or so. Attach it and let her drag it. That way she has some freedom to run, but you can call her and reinforce the command. It worked great with teaching Hoku to stick close and come when called on hikes. It can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but as a training tool its been great for us.

I run with Cody 3-4 times a week, 3-4 miles each time. Plus we walk an additional 4-5 miles daily, 7 days a week. After we return from the runs or walks, Cody wants to play, play, play, with a ball, with a frisbee, with whatever! And he gets zoomies too after the runs!

I think you are doing great with helping your dog...and yourself...get fitter!

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

There is no way I could properly exercise my dogs if I could not have them off leash. I just don't think dogs get enough strenuous exercise if they are on a leash all of the time. Stella is 14wks old (have had her since 9wks) and I put a leash on her for the very first (and only) time on Monday night to walk her through the parking lot at the agility field. I train off leash from Day 1 so that dogs just never learn that leash=restrained and no leash=FREE. My dogs are always free but it's to their benefit to stick with me and they know that from the second they get here..."That lady has yummy, stinky treats and if you just walk NEAR her she'll pop one in your mouth!!" Honestly, the treats are not needed after about the 2nd day (good thing 'cause I hate carrying treats everywhere).

I agree that it'd be a lot better if I could let her off leash, it's just that I don't see how I can get her to do it. I don't know what sort of early training she had: she'd been through a number of homes before my neighbors. They had her for about a year, but seldom took her out of their yard (about an acre). Her basic habit patterns were formed before I got her. And I admit I'm not much of a trainer myself. All my dogs have been mature adults when I got them, so all I've had to do is ease them into my household routine. At not quite 3, she's the youngest that I've had.

She's quite smart & eager to please, and quickly learned practical commands for hiking - "this way", "slow", "whoa", "back around" (for when the leash gets wrapped around something), and so on. It doesn't seem as though she's deciding not to come - she does that sometimes: when I do a mild "come" her ears will flick, and her body language says "aww, but I'm having fun", but a stronger come brings her. When she does the open road thing, though, it's like she just doesn't hear me at all. The long line idea might work: I think the problem would be finding somewhere around here to go where she wouldn't get it tangled in trees & brush.

Guest TheRuffMuttGang

Work with an experienced trainer and a long line. I have 9 dogs and of those only three were baby pups when I got them. The oldest was 3 when I got him and his recall is perfectly fine now. It can be done if you want to do it.