BC Boards

Dog agression?

I know its not a BC but maybe you guys can help out with some suggestions oh how to go about dealing with her... She is a sweet dog otherwise but VERY dog aggressive with other females.. What should she do to try and fix this? She says the dog is perfect in everyother aspect, she has only had her for a week. She is spayed.

Any help?

Tara

I'm not a behavioral expert by any means, but I'd say get her to a good trainer to start. I don't know about where you live, but here you can get a one on one training session for about $30 an hour. Socialization will be important, but your friend needs to do it in a way that is safe for her dog and other dogs. Someone who works with dogs all of the time will be able to gauge how to proceed safely.

I'm not a behavioral expert by any means, but I'd say get her to a good trainer to start. I don't know about where you live, but here you can get a one on one training session for about $30 an hour. Socialization will be important, but your friend needs to do it in a way that is safe for her dog and other dogs. Someone who works with dogs all of the time will be able to gauge how to proceed safely.

This sounds like a case for Cesar Milan. :D :D :rolleyes:

I know its not a BC but maybe you guys can help out with some suggestions oh how to go about dealing with her... She is a sweet dog otherwise but VERY dog aggressive with other females.. What should she do to try and fix this? She says the dog is perfect in everyother aspect, she has only had her for a week. She is spayed.

Any help?

Tara

Get a certified positive methods trainer ASAP, if not sooner. I'm using a trainer with one of my dogs right now that has developed leash aggression and we are making great progress using positive reinforcement methods and desensitization (no Cesar Milan needed!).

Cesar Milan is good if you want to get bitten.... :rolleyes:

Have her find a trainer on the APDT site, with CPDT (Certified Pet Dog Trainer) after their name if possible. The APDT site is www.apdt.com.

Along with the recommendation for a good trainer and perhaps a Feisty Fido class...

I'm not familiar enough with Rotties but many breeds to have a predisposition towards

interbitch aggression... and it can be EXTREMELY serious. The bitches can be out to

'eliminate' another bitch. I hope no other bitch is living in the same household.

Just my 2 cents...

No she is the only bitch in the house hold... and actually the only dog in the house hold. She is familiar with Rotties, she was raised with them and her old Rottie was put down about a year ago so she thought she would adopte a young but older puppy to avoid potty training. She is getting a muzzle for the dog while she is out walking her for other dogs safety and her own piece of mind.

We live in a very small scluded valley and there are NO trainers here... Well actually one but I wouldn't personally put any of my animals through her torcher. I haven't seen one healthy sain dog come from her "training program"

She doesn't have wheels (her DH works out of town with there car) so out of town trainers are not an option.

I just thought you guys would have some suggestions to try, maybe from personal experiences. This is a problem she never had to deal with with her other rotties so she is just not sure what way to go about it...

Tara

Hi,

There are loads of threads in the past about dog aggressive dogs - I put a lot of my own experiences into them. If you do a search for "dog aggression" or something like that, you'll turn up those old threads, which have the collected wisdom of lots of us.

Also - your friend should read "The Other End of the Leash," "Feisty Fido," and "Cautious Canine" by Patricia McConnell - they helped me most with my dog- and human-aggressive dog.

Mary