BC Boards

Urinating in his crate

KellyR

Arg. I'm at wits end with this. HrrGrr is peeing in his crate in the mornings. Actually, I've tried it both ways, if I allow him to sleep on his cushion, he pees on that too. Here's the time line, I'll walk him one last time in the evening, maybe 10:30 or 11pm. Bedtime, then in the morning, as soon as I get up and start to put my clothes on, either in the bedroom or in the bathroom where he can't see me, I come back and he's already either peed in the crate or all over his cushion. Doesn't matter when it is, 6am, 7am, 8am, He just lets loose. He won't poop in his crate however.

I'm stumped as to how to combat this behavior. Any ideas?

How old is he?? How late do you allow him to have water at night? Just from reading this it almost sounds like excitement urination which is a lot like submissive urination.

Kathy

How old is he?? How late do you allow him to have water at night? Just from reading this it almost sounds like excitement urination which is a lot like submissive urination.

He's 9+/- mos old. I don't water him very late, he might get a couple of sips after the last walk, but not much. He doesn't SEEM excited, mostly just lying there peeing all over his belly.

Is he actually going to the bathroom when you let him out at night? Mine go through a stage where they are too busy to bother with mundane things like urinating. Then they get back into the crate and it's "I GOTTA GO...oops too late" LOL

I don't use crate bedding for my young dogs. I can't afford that much expensive shed/pee/wad/toss entertainment for them. They have to earn it...i.e. be old enough, and work hard enough..to appreciate it :rolleyes:

It may not appear that he is excited, but still he could just be excited enough that you are up that he just can't help himself. With this type of urination they just need to outgrow it. I would still keep him in his crate and just use cheap towels for bedding that are easy to wash.

But, I would probably take him into the vet so that you can rule out an urinary tract infection.

Kathy

Is he actually going to the bathroom when you let him out at night? Mine go through a stage where they are too busy to bother with mundane things like urinating. Then they get back into the crate and it's "I GOTTA GO...oops too late" LOL

I don't use crate bedding for my young dogs. I can't afford that much expensive shed/pee/wad/toss entertainment for them. They have to earn it...i.e. be old enough, and work hard enough..to appreciate it :rolleyes:

Getting him to poop outside is easy, peeing, not so much. I'd say he only actually pees outside during walks about 25% of the time. I'm self employed outside the house so the whole 'walking every 2hrs' just isn't a feasible solution either. I've been trying for morning, lunch, evening, night. Rarely more than 4 hours to wait. And its not waiting thats the issue, he CAN hold it, I over slept once til 8 and he hadn't gone yet until RIGHT as bent over to open the crate, he was finishing up.

I'm stumped as to how to combat this behavior. Any ideas?

Yes, before deciding it is a behavioral issue, take in a sample of his urine to the vet to see if there is a medical issue.

ETA:

If there isn't an infection, I would wonder about stress or submissive urination. This guy has been through a lot and even in the photos you posted recently he seems alone and not very relaxed. He has made a lot of progress in a short time but that can have a price tag if it isn't at his pace of progress.

Also, the episode where he had the runs and made a mess in the house... You (understandably) lost your temper a bit but I would wonder if that experience could be causing some submissive urination if he is confused about why you were angry.

Yes, before deciding it is a behavioral issue, take in a sample of his urine to the vet to see if there is a medical issue.

Also, the episode where he had the runs and made a mess in the house... You (understandably) lost your temper a bit but I would wonder if that experience could be causing some submissive urination if he is confused about why you were angry.

I'll have the vet check that out.

He's done it in the past, prior to the defecation episode. If it was an infection, he was on atibiotics for 10 days (after hurting his feet, up until before his neutering). I don't know if that makes a difference.

my Kaos would submissive urinate and did so until she was about 4ish... she would do it when excited, scared, nervous, apprehensive, happy.... you get it, any strong emotion, it isn't something they can control and freaking out on them will only make it worse and occur more frequently. If you encounter this again, I would probably just bring him right outside allow him to pee and what ever else he needs and go back in a clean it up, don't fuss, don't draw attention to it... his ears are pinned back in all of his pictures, he looks fairly stressed, I would think you may want to just set a routine and stop pushing him so hard, your way or the highway isn't going to help his stress levels either.

Lying in it is not a sign of hugely abnormal behaviour, he is in a crate... can't really get away from it.

sara

I hope he's doing better today. If it's not a bladder infection... think about your interaction with the dog at those times. When I taught people potty training sessions at a petmart I would be sure to tell the humans not to get the dogs excited when they approached the crate..the same when coming home to uncrated animals... no cutesy talk or eye contact...just business at hand. Come in(no big deal) put your stuff away(no big deal), get the leash and take the dog out. Don't ask for anything but "potty". A specific outdoor spot helps. No playing and no interaction with human until "job is done". Then mild praise and interaction.. Nine months is the beginning of the teenager phase of dog life. Donald's breeder told me not to give him ANY water after 8pm when I was struggling with house training. If your dog is working in a dog group late at night of course you would give him a drink...but know that what goes in comes out.

Again, remember, don't scold the potty mishaps. Ignore it in the dogs pressence, get the dog outside, ask for behavior, praise and then go back and matter of factly clean it up. I know it is a frustrating situation. Dogs with a history can be a challenge, but that doesn't mean you can't make him into your best friend ever. His bad experiences are over. Try not to make into a bigger issue than it is. Iknow that is easier said than done. Vent here, let us know how things go....

Vet results were normal.

He's back to living in his hallway den with the gate open when I'm here so he's free to come and go. He also peed on news paper this morning, so its just an issue of modifying behavior.