BC Boards

Question about scent

Odin is in love with my mother in law's dog, Ziggy. But they get so worked up while they play together that we can't always take him with us to visit. Usually when we do bring him to visit we take them both to the park for a good run so they'll be less energetic when they get inside.

Anyway, I was wondering . . . when me and my hubby go to his parents' house without Odin, when we get back, can he tell by smelling us where we've been?

I always feel so bad cause I think he knows we've been there without him. :rolleyes:

Oh, btw, it doesn't look like a very loving relationship, but here's a pic of them from last saturday:

odinziggy0041sz.jpg

I believe Odin can tell that Ziggy and your in-laws scent is on you, but I don't think dogs have the thought process to say, oh, you went a visiting without me! How rotten of you! Probly more like, ummm, they brougt back a smell I like! Wonder where the dog and people are? How do they do that? :rolleyes:

My dogs will smell me up and down if I go to mom's without them. I do think it's like hey she brought back Penny's smell. Lets see who else we can smell.lol

On a funny aside my trainers old dog is in love with my moms female he calls to her and if he can break away he runs up to her licking her all over. I guess that pretty red color must appeal to him since she's fixed.lol

Dogs CAN tell where you have been.

If I come home from the park with one of their doggie friend's smell on me - they sniff me up and down then they run to the door wanting to go there too!

You bet he knows. I had friends who took home one of Minnie's littermates the same day I got her. They grew up playing together and were constant companions (tragically, he died last summer of a suspected brain tumor). We used to trade bandanas. I'd rub one on Min and give it to them and they'd give me one with his scent on it. I used to leave it hanging on a basket in my living room. When I'd ask Minnie, where's your brother Tuff?, she'd get all excited, vocalizing, and run over and sniff the bandana wagging her little stump.