BC Boards

Will a New Dog teach my old Dog Bad Habits?

Hi All!

I have been "lurker" for over 2 years now and have learned an incredible amount of knowledge about BC and dogs in general. Now that I have the perfect dog...Stormie"...I have a question. there is a 6 month old male BC that needs a home. The lady at the stables where my daughter rides called me up last night and said that the young man that owned him had to find a new home for him and was I interested? He's been out there the last couple of weeks when she goes to ride and I am always "hnaging out with the dog while we are there. (He melts my heart!)

I guess my question is...will Stormie follow him and do what he does or will he follow her and do what she does? I've never had 2 dogs at one time.

Actually, your dog will probably teach the younger dog good habits. If you call Stormie and he has a great recall, the new pup will follow. Two dogs are easier than one. Good luck, keep us informed. If you have trained one perfect dog, don't belittle yourself. You can train another one easy and welcome aboard. We need pictures now.

The puppy will copy the older resident dog.

The important thing is to reinforce the pack order as the pup grows, so that the older dog is top dog. The younger dog may challenge the older one as he grows, so make sure they both know that the old girl is tops. Usually the bitch is in charge, so this may never be a problem.

Good luck,

Kathy Robbins

I haven't found it to be the case that my older dogs learn bad habits from the younger one. In fact, it's vice versa.

Just this morning, Speedy was playing with a ball and Dean was on the futon. Dean stood up suddenly when Speedy brought me the ball and barked in his face. Before I could do anything, Speedy picked up the ball that he had deposited and trotted across the room to another one sitting on the floor and he pointed his nose at it! Dean got off the futon, picked it up and started to play properly. It was truly amazing!

That said, of course you will have to teach the younger one manners. The dogs have done a lot to teach Dean good habits, but they can only help with the dog to dog stuff. And even then I sometimes have to get involved.

But I haven't seen any of my older ones copying Dean in any way. It's very interesting!

I walked my dog with a friend's new 8-month-old rescue dog the other day - and was amazed at how closely the puppy was watching Buddy to see what she should be doing. I was practicing Buddy's "up... walk it" thing (he just likes to be up on things, so I figured I'd train that response), and the puppy kept jumping up on the stone walls when Buddy did - like, "Oh, so is this what we do now? Huh? Huh?" Very cute!

Mary

thanks to all for your positive comments. The recall is what I was really worried about! I've never had a dog before that actually listened and came when outside off lead every time! I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again. You guys are awesome!

This is one area where Speedy definitely helped Dean out. I would call Speedy in and Dean would follow him. This was from our fenced yard, so it was a safe place to kind of let nature take its course in this regard.

Now when I give the cue to go in, Dean is the first one waiting at the door!

Don't let them out together where the question about the recall even can be an issue untill you have taught the other dog as well as your first. Then there will not be an issue.

I think who copies who, entirely depends in the activity and the personality of the dogs.