BC Boards

How much training per day?

General consensus seems to be that a training session shouldn't be more than a half hour or so, lest the dog get bored and anxious..

My question is how often per day? Two thirty minute sessions? Maybe three?

Anyone have a system thats worked for them? Thanks!

How old is the pup/dog, and what are you training it to do?

Anna

I can only answer for JJ and Jake but the more often they're exercised mentally or physically, the more they want. If it's twice a day, they want a 3rd time. If they're exercised 3 times a day, they want a 4th, etc.

As long as you keep it interesting (different and fun), work it in as often as your schedule will allow. Take different routes for leash work. Have 3 or 4 different treats for rewards so he doesn't know what he's going to get next and so on.

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie "works" frequently at varying lengths of time. Sometimes on our 3-4 mile walks, he's working on heeling, waiting, staying, down, etc. almost the entire time which takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on how often I stop to work on something. Then at home, it's loads of short little spurts of performing certain things. Like 10 to 15 sessions of under 5 minutes at a pop.

Anyone have a system thats worked for them? Thanks!

I let the individual dog guide me, and of course, my own ambitions and energy levels, both of which are moderate, are important. What are you going to be training in? That makes a difference as far as the physical and mental demands.

For agility, one of my dogs needed very short sessions, no more than 15 minutes. For Quinn, he'll happily train for an hour and be disappointed when I call it quits. And my other dogs have fallen somewhere in between.

With clicker, trick training I'll do very short sessions 1 - 5 minutes, sometimes several times a day. For obedience, I usually do 10 -20 minute sessions 4 or 5 times a week. And again, some dogs need shorter sessions than others. I always want to end training with the dog still wanting more. I want the dog to be excited, eager and having fun when we train.