BC Boards

New to the world of BCs--First post

Hi.

I've been reading posts on this panel and having lots of "Aha!" moments. I adopted two bc's about 4 months ago and am finding the experience both challenging and very rewarding. Both dogs had been at a rescue sanctuary for over a year and had abusive pasts before they were rescued. As a result, they're very good with other dogs but not people socialized at all.

Silver, the female, is about 4 1/2 and is probably a McNab (this is the right neck of the woods for McNabs). Mack, the male, is about 2 1/2 and may have some cattle dog mixed in with the border collie. Of course, it's impossible to know given their lack of verifiable history. They met at the sanctuary and became inseparable, so I adopted both and am very glad I did. My friends thought I was nuts but I honestly think two are easier than one because they play together and keep each other company. They have lots of issues; I've been working with a trainer (though I think I'm really the one being trained), and they're (I'm) making great progress.

But here's the thing: these dogs hunt! In reading posts, I often hear people talk about hiking on trails with their bcs and I'm wondering if other people have problems with their dogs taking off on the trail of a deer and not coming back for 30 minutes or so. I can't figure out what to do about it. I love to hike and run and the dogs are in heaven out on the trails. But I don't love waiting for them when they go off after a deer. They're really good at obeying all other times. They come immediately when I call. But if they pick up the scent of a deer, instinct seems to take over and they're gone. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I'd really appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks! Here are my new adoptees!

post-7883-1189185668_thumb.jpg

post-7883-1189185686_thumb.jpg

post-7883-1189185482_thumb.jpg

post-7883-1189185518_thumb.jpg

They are gorgeous, and both look like border collies, to me. Anyway, welcome!

I personally wouldn't let my dogs run off to chase deer. If their recalls aren't good out in the woods, then I would have them on lead. You can work on the recall out there, with all the distractions, while they're on a long lead. Once you feel they're reliable, try again off lead.

Welcome!!

It sounds like you are really off to a great start with these guys (and they are both beautiful!).

Why don't you put them on a leash when you walk so they can't run off? At the very least until they learn not to chase. Deer can be very dangerous if they are provoked and could hurt a dog pretty bad if they wanted to - so I would try to prevent this behavior all together. If you do come across a deer (while they are on leash), just call them (and you have them on leash to make sure they come to you) so you can reward them for ignoring the deer. Once they learn to ignore deer (or other wild life) then you maybe could let them off leash again.

I had my dog about 5 days when he saw a couple deer, and took off after them. I thought that was the last I'd see of him. he did come back to me after about 10 minutes, and now he seems to understand that the deer are too fast for him - he might charge to startle them, but won't take off after them.

So... good luck, and maybe they'll work themselves through this phase if they chase and have no success?

Mary

Welcome!!

It sounds like you are really off to a great start with these guys (and they are both beautiful!).

Why don't you put them on a leash when you walk so they can't run off? At the very least until they learn not to chase. Deer can be very dangerous if they are provoked and could hurt a dog pretty bad if they wanted to - so I would try to prevent this behavior all together. If you do come across a deer (while they are on leash), just call them (and you have them on leash to make sure they come to you) so you can reward them for ignoring the deer. Once they learn to ignore deer (or other wild life) then you maybe could let them off leash again.

Good idea about the long line. Another thing that you could try is distracting them with something more enticing. Maybe do some clicker training and when you think they may want to run off start asking for something and then lots of rewards when they stay with you and do what you ask instead of running off. Or, moving at a higher rate of speed might keep them interested. If you're normally just walking, maybe try some jogging or biking along the trails. We used to have a hound that I took out on trails with me when I was riding. Granted, she had only spent one season deer hunting with my husband, but he said she did hunt. I'd take her riding and we didn't dawdle along the trails we really moved. The faster we went the better she liked it, she'd run along yipping and yelping. And the faster we went the higher pitched she got. Because she was having so much fun she never left the trail to investigate anything else. When we'd stop for a break she'd jump up at my horse's face barking because she wanted to go again. I'd leash her when we stopped for a break because that's when she would have been likely to start investigating everything else.

I guess it's wishful thinking on my part. They SO love being off-leash that I hate to hook 'em up. It never occurred to me that they would actually catch up with a deer. They just pick up the scent (I never see the deer myself, though I sometimes hear crashing through the brush). I worry that, if they are just walking with me, they won't get enough exercise, though we do usually go 3-5 miles. But I think you're right. I need to start leashing at least one of them at a time (they won't go too far from each other).

Thanks!

What pretty dogs!!! I'm glad they have found you: I like hearing about BCs getting out hiking, they do love it so.

I'm in Siskiyou County, and there are a lot of McNabs around here, too. I know the breed is BC-descendent, but I don't know too much about its unique charactaristics, do you?

I can't offer any advice about how to stop the deer-chasing, but it really doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I can offer a wickedly delicious spontaneous treat for a good recall that my trainer mentioned last night. The dogs can't smell them (increasing the surprise) and they are easy to pack on a hike: those weenie little cans of kitty pate! That's right, cat food. After just one of these, your pals will be inspired to come RIGHT AWAY when called, on the off chance you are ever able magic up another one of those sublime munchies! Just do this once in a GREAT while: they'll remember for a looong time, and bless you for it!

Doesn't have to be a regular leash (short and pretty confining), but a nice long line (clothesline works well) that you can use to let them have a fair bit of freedom, but can enforce the recall till it's 100%,

Anna

What pretty dogs!!! I'm glad they have found you: I like hearing about BCs getting out hiking, they do love it so.

I'm in Siskiyou County, and there are a lot of McNabs around here, too. I know the breed is BC-descendent, but I don't know too much about its unique charactaristics, do you?

I can't offer any advice about how to stop the deer-chasing, but it really doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

I can offer a wickedly delicious spontaneous treat for a good recall that my trainer mentioned last night. The dogs can't smell them (increasing the surprise) and they are easy to pack on a hike: those weenie little cans of kitty pate! That's right, cat food. After just one of these, your pals will be inspired to come RIGHT AWAY when called, on the off chance you are ever able magic up another one of those sublime munchies! Just do this once in a GREAT while: they'll remember for a looong time, and bless you for it!

I started looking up information about McNabs after a biker stopped me on the trail and was certain that Silver was a McNab. I'd never heard of them before that. There isn't much available, but the outstanding traits seem to be a short smooth coat (bred that way because of the warmer winter and all the grass burrs/foxtails, etc. in Mendocino County), long legs and small catlike paws. McNabs supposedly run like a cat (which Silver certain does), with their paws close together. It's strikingly different from the way Mack (or other dogs I've known) run. Also, they're usually a bit bigger, averaging 45-50 pounds, but sometimes up to 70.

That's about all I know.